Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:17 PM

442 posts, read 1,580,460 times

Advertisements

What is it like in Clearfield PA? I'm a Florida native, born and raised my entire 21 years of life. My aunt is a PA native, and from what I know she was born and raised in Clearfield for her entire life. I took a road trip up to PA over the summer (August) and fell in love with the scenery and weather, and every since I've been wanting to experience a big change, including the seasons.

My aunt has told me a little bit about the surrounding areas, but I would also like input from others, especially if there are any transplants out there. Should I go through with this plan, I will most likely be working full time and if possible I would like to continue with college.

I enjoy outdoor adventures, live concerts, night life (clubs and bars), quaint shopping districts, cafes, etc..pretty much your usual young people stuff. I assume Clearfield to be more of a suburban area, is this correct? How far is it from more urban areas?

What are people in PA like? It seems I've met quite a few people from PA who turned out to be, quite frankly, weird! My entire dad's side of the family is from PA, and the same goes for them, a bunch of nutters! The exception being my aunt. Maybe it is the weather up there, I'm not sure! Is it like anywhere else though, or do people seem to be generally happy and friendly, or does this just depend on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 06:19 AM

518 posts, read 2,534,028 times
Clearfield is in a very rural area. Not a whole lot there. They have a Walmart, a small mall (like maybe 6-7 stores) that has an Ollies, liquor store, goodwill, gnc, i think a bon ton. Clearfield is home to Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, which has huge (3 pounds and up) burgers. Downtown has a few blocks of small shops and typical downtown businesses.
Very few good jobs in the area, so I would make sure you have a job lined up before you move there.
More shopping, restaurants, etc. in Dubois, PA, which is about a half hour away.
For college, you would need to go to Dubois, which has a Penn State - Dubois campus.
State College, PA, home of Penn State university, is less than an hour away.
The big event every year is the Clearfield Fair, which is a very large county fair.
For sure you want to visit and secure a job before moving there, as the town is not for everybody. Some would say it's a very hickish-redneck town.
On the plus side, home prices are very reasonable and you could find a nice home (3 bedroom - 2 bath) for around $100,000 or even less.

There really are no urban areas anywhere near Clearfield, that part of the state is woodsy/rural. Pittsburgh would probably be the nearest big city, and it's over 2 hours away.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:54 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,427,878 times
Ironically, I'm originally from FL...and I went to PSU for college, so I know the feeling (I miss PA so much!)

I would suggest that you...being 21...move to State College instead. There is affordable housing, a LOT of people your age, great nightlife, and good job opportunities. Oh...and it isn't that far from Clearfield at all.

There is also great public transport with CATA in State College.

Now, since you want to attend college...I'd apply to PSU right away. Apply to the University Park campus....and if you think that you might have trouble getting into there, also apply to the Altoona (a decent sized city with a lot of students not far from SC or Clearfield....and it probably has more job opportunities than Clearfield) and Dubois (already mentioned above) campuses.

Honestly, my favorite Commonwealth Campus of PSU (any that aren't University Park) is Erie-- The Behrend College in Erie, PA. It is a great campus...though Erie does not have the same scenery as C PA. Erie is the third largest city in PA, low crime, has a beautiful lake and beach (Presque Isle), there are tremendous hiking opportunities nearby to campus in Wintergreen Gorge, and the mountains aren't too terribly far away (Erie is on a giant hill itself). The only thing about Erie is that even though it could act as a transition between FL and PA (from just a beach to beach and large hills)...it would be like throwing you into the deep end with regards to snow as it is one of the snowiest places in the US (Lake Effect). C PA on average gets about 50 inches of snow a year (has been a little less the past few years)...but NW PA can get over 100 inches of snow a year.

Good luck with your search, and let me know if you need any help!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:04 PM

73 posts, read 343,462 times
"I enjoy outdoor adventures, live concerts, night life (clubs and bars), quaint shopping districts, cafes, etc..pretty much your usual young people stuff."

You definitely do not want to move to Clearfield. I lived there for 19 years, trust me, there is nothing, NOTHING, there for a young woman with your interests. It is not "quaint", it is a sociallly and economically depressed town with a dearth of good paying jobs. There is no night life unless you like redneck bars. Definitely no live concerts except for the once-a year grandstand shows at the Clearfield County Fair, where you can also enjoy tractor pulls, wood carving demonstrations, livestock judging, and demolition derbies. There is a branch campus of Lock Haven University there, but I'm not sure what you're looking for educationally, so that may not suit you either. Listen to psulions2007 and move "over the mountain" to State College. WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD!! Great downtown, shopping (boutiques downtown and malls), tons of places to eat and drink, thousands of people your age, top-rated PSU, night-life, jobs, unbelievable scenery, 4 beautiful seasons, big-name concerts at Bryce Jordan Center, PSU football games and tailgaiting and partying all day, skiing and other outdoor acivities. My advice would be to go spend a few days there, it is an hour east of Clearfield so you could stay with your aunt. It's actually a scenic ride on Rt. 322 East once you get out of Philipsburg. Also look into Bellefonte, more of a small town but thriving and has that "quaint" feel. Lots of great small towns around State College too. Depends what you're looking for, but it's all there. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:40 PM

858 posts, read 3,046,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
What is it like in Clearfield PA? I'm a Florida native, born and raised my entire 21 years of life. My aunt is a PA native, and from what I know she was born and raised in Clearfield for her entire life. I took a road trip up to PA over the summer (August) and fell in love with the scenery and weather, and every since I've been wanting to experience a big change, including the seasons.

My aunt has told me a little bit about the surrounding areas, but I would also like input from others, especially if there are any transplants out there. Should I go through with this plan, I will most likely be working full time and if possible I would like to continue with college.

I enjoy outdoor adventures, live concerts, night life (clubs and bars), quaint shopping districts, cafes, etc..pretty much your usual young people stuff. I assume Clearfield to be more of a suburban area, is this correct? How far is it from more urban areas?

What are people in PA like? It seems I've met quite a few people from PA who turned out to be, quite frankly, weird! My entire dad's side of the family is from PA, and the same goes for them, a bunch of nutters! The exception being my aunt. Maybe it is the weather up there, I'm not sure! Is it like anywhere else though, or do people seem to be generally happy and friendly, or does this just depend on the area?

Stay in FL!! Dont come to PA!!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Stay in FL!! Dont come to PA!!
I would advise the opposite. Get the h* away from FL, PA is awesome!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:36 AM

858 posts, read 3,046,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I would advise the opposite. Get the h* away from FL, PA is awesome!
I only said stay out of PA, because were just about out of jobs!! And for us fokes that live here we need all we can get at this point.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I only said stay out of PA, because were just about out of jobs!! And for us fokes that live here we need all we can get at this point.
FL is almost out of jobs too...the employment situation there is horrible.

However, I do remember State College not being too bad...and if she spends 2 years going to PSU Altoona, Dubois, or Erie....then the rest of the time at UP...she'll be fine.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Agreed, FL is almost out of jobs. Every state is almost out of jobs!! Not sure why everyone seems to continue attempts at pinpointing that issue to one region or one state. Every area is having it's hard times..not to say that there aren't still jobs to be found though!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb06 View Post
"I enjoy outdoor adventures, live concerts, night life (clubs and bars), quaint shopping districts, cafes, etc..pretty much your usual young people stuff."

You definitely do not want to move to Clearfield. I lived there for 19 years, trust me, there is nothing, NOTHING, there for a young woman with your interests. It is not "quaint", it is a sociallly and economically depressed town with a dearth of good paying jobs. There is no night life unless you like redneck bars. Definitely no live concerts except for the once-a year grandstand shows at the Clearfield County Fair, where you can also enjoy tractor pulls, wood carving demonstrations, livestock judging, and demolition derbies. There is a branch campus of Lock Haven University there, but I'm not sure what you're looking for educationally, so that may not suit you either. Listen to psulions2007 and move "over the mountain" to State College. WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD!! Great downtown, shopping (boutiques downtown and malls), tons of places to eat and drink, thousands of people your age, top-rated PSU, night-life, jobs, unbelievable scenery, 4 beautiful seasons, big-name concerts at Bryce Jordan Center, PSU football games and tailgaiting and partying all day, skiing and other outdoor acivities. My advice would be to go spend a few days there, it is an hour east of Clearfield so you could stay with your aunt. It's actually a scenic ride on Rt. 322 East once you get out of Philipsburg. Also look into Bellefonte, more of a small town but thriving and has that "quaint" feel. Lots of great small towns around State College too. Depends what you're looking for, but it's all there. Good luck!
So from an outsiders point of view how does State College look? By your post it sounds like State College is a pretty happening place for the younger crowd, a bigger and busier city-life type of area...but in comparison to where? Like I said, I'm a Florida native..born and raised in the Tampa area, but I've also lived in Orlando and South Florida (between West Palm Beach and Miami). Between those 3 areas I've experienced the slower paced, stagnant, working class/professional metro area (Tampa); the college town rampant with 20-somethings, transient tourist trap (Orlando); and the culturally and economically diverse, endless supply of entertainment districts (S. Florida).

I did a quick google image search of State College and some of the photos that came up gave me the impression that the area is pretty low-key for the most part, definitely a college town, somewhat homely and prides itself on it's sports team. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting it to be Miami, but I'm not looking for the simple life either. I value diversity in everything, people and things to do. So it's good to hear the positive notes about restaurants, jobs, and downtown area. My aunt also noted the scenery of State College being breathtaking. Are there many other well populated cities out side of State College, or are they all a fair ways away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania