U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 11:22 AM

487 posts, read 1,284,584 times

Advertisements

I'll be permanently moving to NE PA with the next few years and would love a job similar to the one I now hold in NY. I am an administrative asst. working in an elementary school. In New York, this is considered a civil service position for which I had to take a test, be placed on a list, and hired from that list. Is it a similar system in PA? If not, how would one go about working for a school district in a clerical capacity? Thanks in advance for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 11:45 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,361,685 times
In our local area you apply directly with the school district(s) you wish to work for. I assume it's the same all over PA.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,846 times
I would recommend you visit PA CareerLink for information regarding employment in the public and private sector. They also provide you with training, career counseling and other employment information. There is always a large database filled with potential employers that you can search, as well.

The PA CareerLink link is:
http://www.pacareerlink.state.pa.us/...d=110200745653

Also, have a look at the resources section on my website. I've written articles and provided links to PA CareerLink and other civil service employment opportunities. Along with a wealth of other valuable information about Pennsylvania.

The link is:
http://www.ilovepa.org

Old 02-28-2007, 06:39 PM

Thank you both for your information. I will look into the leads you have given me.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,479,525 times
Working for the schools in NEPA? Hope you have some political connections..... That seems to be the only way to get jobs in the schools around here. Sad but true.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 PM

142 posts, read 553,625 times
Congratulations,

You've hit the motherload of government jobs. NEPA is the capitol of government jobs. From the Social Security admin. to being the mayor of a 2 square mile town, goverment jobs about here...

Heck 4 out of 10 people would be unemployed and unemployable if it weren't for big brother.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:30 PM

Just how do you go about getting a govt job? Does PA have a Civil Service system like New York State? In New York, this involves taking a test for a specific job title, passing the test and scoring well enough to be placed on a hiring list. Naturally, the closer you are to the top of the list (highest score) the better your chances are of being offered a job. These lists normally stay active for about a year and then you take the test again and start the whole process all over again.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 PM

168 posts, read 605,408 times
Civil service state positions work the same way here in PA, though I think the lists remain good for two yrs, not one. They generally interview the candidates with the three highest scores. Nonetheless politics can play a role.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:53 AM

Yea, well, they say that here in New York as well. But...I've worked in a school district for 15 years now and have pretty much seen it all. It seems to be getting a little harder to break into the civil service by using connections. I've always scored fairly well on tests and have never had a problem getting the job. Are the civil service tests given by County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania