Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,712 times

Advertisements

The Johnstown gobs made by Yost Bakery is a little different recipe than the whoopie pies you see in Amish country.
I know that one of the different ingredients in the Johnstown gobs is cinnamon and the cake part is more dense than most whoopie pies.
I was born in the Johnstown area and my Dad drove a bread company delivery truck for Harris Boyer Bakery when I was little. That is who originally made the gobs. After Harris Boyer closed, the recipe was sold to Yost.
Every time I go to that area to visit relatives I have to buy a bunch of gobs to take home and then I freeze them.
There are several in my freezer right now from an August trip there. Someone gave me the recipe for the Johnstown gobs but I have not yet tried to make them myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Johnstown is a low class town.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,646 times
My family recipe uses vanilla pudding for the frosting. I have to say I don't know if I could have it any other way. My family is also from Johnstown and I currently live in the Midwest. Everyone here can't get enough of them.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,701 times
The best gobs that I've ever had were from Livingston's Bakery in the Hooversville area. They have all different kinds of flavors besides the standard chocolate and banana(or is it vanilla?). Many local grocery stores and gas stations carry the goods from Livingston's Bakery!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Yosts dutch maid bakery email address.
gobsrus@gmail.com
BTW, Steel7, if you are ever in the San Diego area (yeah I know this is a PA forum, a bit off the beaten path), try the whoopie pies at Phil's BBQ. They will fulfill the gob craving at least for a bit... They aren't quite as good as a Johnstown gob, but they're pretty close! Of course, stay for the BBQ!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
BTW, Steel7, if you are ever in the San Diego area (yeah I know this is a PA forum, a bit off the beaten path), try the whoopie pies at Phil's BBQ. They will fulfill the gob craving at least for a bit... They aren't quite as good as a Johnstown gob, but they're pretty close! Of course, stay for the BBQ!
Do you have pictures of these "whoopie pies"? Whoopie pies are not the same, and cannot possibly compare to real gobs.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Do you have pictures of these "whoopie pies"? Whoopie pies are not the same, and cannot possibly compare to real gobs.
LOL Although I'm a big fan of desserts, I didn't take a picture of these, sorry!

Also, I grew up in Johnstown, so I'm a big fan of gobs as they shaped me into the person I am today. Admittedly the ones at Phil's are somewhat of a substitute, hardly anyone in CA even knows what a gob is, let alone sell one... So western PA transplants in CA, such as Steel7 and myself, have to struggle (outside of mail order to Yost's bakery) to find fresh gobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania