Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 PM

110 posts, read 491,134 times

Advertisements

I hear all kinds of good and bad things about this city. Give an honest opinion of this city. I may go on an Erie/Northwest PA trip this spring/summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 07:32 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
You won't regret it. What kinds of things in particular would you expext on a trip to NW PA? What are you looking for?
As for your other question, just do a search on this site for Erie, lots of information is posted here.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
In Erie you will probably go to Presque Isle. At the bottom of the hill before you enter is a place that sells great sherbet. 1950s cars are part of the decor. I think it is on one of PBS' diners tour TV shows.

On Presque Isle we took a ferry boat tour that lasted about an hour. A guy talks the entire time and you get a good history about Erie and see some lighthouses, etc. The main BIG problem with that was the guy screamed the entire time and there's old speakers above all the seats that blasted loud as they could.

There's an amusement park near PI.
---
In Titusville I went into a McDonalds to get directions to the country's first oil well and nobody knew. I got directions at the police station. Even though it was only 5:05 P.M. when we got there, it closed promptly at 5. Everyone was still there. Come back tomorrow. I'd seen it before years ago so no big deal. Just a pile of crap along the roadside. I imagine they fixed it some as it was definitely rusting away and falling over.
---
Niagara Falls is about 2 hours from Erie on a nice, flat NY Interstate. You would pass Buffalo just before getting there. All the tourist stuff and the best view is on the Canadian side. Toronto is only an hour from there . . .

Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times
I think the reason you hear mixed reactions to Erie is probably based on the time of year you visit and based on the job status of the person giving the opinon. In the warmer months, it's a great place. The bayfront and peninsula (Presque Isle) are as good as it gets for an inland lake. In the colder months, it's windy, cold, snowy, not too much sun, and because Erie is losing its manufacturing base, all the negatives get exaggerated. I generally like the city because of its small size which gives you decent things to do (minor league sports, small concert venues, great summer festivals) but without congestion and crazy traffic, and it's close to a lot of larger cities. But by far the best feature is the lake and peninsula.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
You won't regret it. What kinds of things in particular would you expext on a trip to NW PA? What are you looking for?
As for your other question, just do a search on this site for Erie, lots of information is posted here.

I just want to know that I am not going to a boring or extremely rundown city. I have only been to Erie when I was young and the second time, I just drove through the area on I-90. I will be visiting in the Spring/Summer if I find the area worthy of a trip from the info I get on this forum and visitors guides. I will be doing an overall Pa state trip because it is one of my favorite states in the country. I have been to 48 out of the 50 states.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingman View Post
I just want to know that I am not going to a boring or extremely rundown city. I have only been to Erie when I was young and the second time, I just drove through the area on I-90. I will be visiting in the Spring/Summer if I find the area worthy of a trip from the info I get on this forum and visitors guides. I will be doing an overall Pa state trip because it is one of my favorite states in the country. I have been to 48 out of the 50 states.
Do you like physical and or outdoor type activities, like biking, boating, fishing, beach combing, going to museums, visiting historical sites, minor league baseball or hockey? If you said yes to any of these things, you will enjoy yourself.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:44 PM

370 posts, read 1,016,261 times
If you don't like outdoor activities, trust me, stay away. We have enough in Erie to keep you busy for 2 days tops, then you'll be looking to other things around Erie, like Niagra falls and Titusville as said in the post before mine. I'd schedule a trip elsewhere to be honest

But if you like outdoor activities, we got plenty, I guess

Old 12-14-2008, 12:46 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post

But if you like outdoor activities, we got plenty, I guess
LOL, you guess.........yeah I forgot the typical City of Erie residents favorite past times, going to the bar and sitting in traffic on Upper Peach. Big deal.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:34 PM

I love outdoor activities.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:13 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Is the municipal golf course still there? That's the only course I ever played that was surrounded by a neighborhood on all sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania