Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenue View Post
Ive seen photos of some very beautyful homes in some nice looking neighborhoods, and im not talking about attached properties either, It just seems hard to believe that all of Reading is corrupted as they say and how bad it really is. I Live in NYC i've seen crime i know bad. I wonder if Reading is worst.

I have 2 questions.
READING VS. NEW YORK CITY which is more violent ?
READING VS. SHILLINGTON which is more doable ?
1 more question is any one here trucking in Reading and hows the field out there ?
Hi there,

I don't live in Reading. But...I was born in New York City, grew up in a town about 20 minutes outside of Reading, and now live in Philly.

So, here's the deal on Reading. First, yes, it has a high crime rate. I think it's been a while since it's been near the top of the most dangerous cities list, but it still has crime.

But, you're from New York City. I know it's a safe city, but you probably have street smarts like everyone growing up in the city does. Not to badmouth where I spent most of my time growing up, but...Reading is surrounded my some very small, conservative towns which are quite nice, and the people are quite nice too. But, they are legitimate small town people who sometimes get a little too scared of the big wide world around them, for better or for worse. Reading has a crime rate pretty similar to big cities, probably pretty comparable to the relatively nearby Philadelphia. Except Reading is a small city. And people don't expect a small city to have the same crime rate as a big city. And it gets somewhat exaggerated because of this. And because a lot of people in the surrounding towns don't have a lot of familiarity with cities in general. There are people who refuse to set foot in Reading, for fear of getting shot. I call these people lunatics.

And when Reading was a nicer city, it wasn't because people sat around all day moaning about how it sucked. It's because there were people in Reading who cared about the city and made it a nice place to live. There are plenty of people still like that in Reading, perhaps you shall be one too? It's a place that mainly just needs to believe in itself more.

It's not really the hellhole that people describe it as anyway. It doesn't have the cultural amenities that a large or medium sized city has, that would make people more inclined to forgive the crime. But it is what it is. Penn Street is a nice main street - but yeah, the actual businesses there leave a lot to be desired. On the bright side, things are getting better in Reading. But it's still a city of 80,000 people. It's got a Community College in Center City, and a couple of liberal arts colleges with its limits. Some theaters. And some minor league sports. What's it supposed to have, Broadway? That's silly.

Just like any city - and this is what a lot of the people in Berks County don't get - there are parts of it that are rough, and parts of it that aren't. There are a lot of really nice houses in Reading. Personally, if it weren't for my insistence to live without a car, I would live in Reading. But obviously a small city isn't going to have any real kind of public transportation, so that brought me to Philadelphia. I'll go to my deathbed defending Reading as a city that gets too much criticism, though.

That said, there are also plenty of nice places around Reading. There are some pretty neat old suburbs that are much nicer than the cookie-cutter subdivisions you see in a lot of America. And there are cookie-cutter subdivisions too, but I'd rather live in the worst part of Reading than in one of those, personally.

If you're concerned about it, spend some time in the city. Get to know which neighborhoods you like. Walk around in the evening. That sort of stuff. I'm sure you'll find something you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
To add to what NYMD67 said..

From what I have seen the times I'm there to visit my in-laws, Reading's inner city has shady parts..that's for sure. On the other hand, there are some nice areas, esp West Reading. Are there places I wowuld avoid at night. Absolutely. That's the case with many cities.

I absolutely love the Abe Lincoln. We had our wedding there and it's a beautiful, old historic hotel with a great bar and restaurant. There are a few other places, such as the Ugly Oyster and the Country Club of Reading. I also enjoy the Pagoda. it's a really beautiful landmark.

From what I gather, the city of Reading was a vibrant, charming place at one time. However, like so many cities in the last few decades, it has lost it's luster and appeal. I believe in due time it will be revitalized.

Yes, West Reading is a great area! so many great restaurants, cafe's and some unique shopping....
The grounds of the Reading Public Museum which is located in West Reading, are beautiful. We take our kids there in the Spring and walk on the path near the Wyomissing Creek. Lots of beautiful older homes w/lots of character in that area too!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,539 times
I was born and raised in the city of Reading in 1965. I absolutely agree...there are parts of the city that I would avoid at night. For me, what's really unfortunate to see is how even the north (used to be wealthy) area is deteriorating! I remember as a child the most beautiful areas were Centre park and Hampton Heights. Today, it bears no resemblance to what it once was!

I presently live in the Exeter area and frequently travel through Reading. Personally, I would avoid ALL of Reading, Mount Penn (until you reach about 21st Street), Temple and Muhlenburg. Also Reading School district is terrible and Muhlenburg is becoming just as bad.

The suburbs are very nice, specifically Exeter, Shillington, Wyomissing Hills, Wernersville, Mohnton and Ephrata.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 461 times
Default Gone Girl

I lived in the city of Reading from 1977 to 2004
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania