U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,308 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving our family (daughters aged 12 and 9) from the Dallas-Ft. Worth area to Pennsylvania to be nearer to his family in the Lancaster area. He works from home, so we are fortunate in that we have quite a bit of flexibility as far as where we choose to buy our home. We're thinking anywhere in or between Philly and Lancaster. Our daughters love music -- both play piano, bass, and guitar. Can anyone recommend a good neighborhood with excellent schools? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 10:48 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,578,820 times
I think the halfway point between Lancaster and Philly would be ideal. I'd recommend Exton,Chester Springs,Downingtown, Lionville,West Chester,Malvern. This area is growing pretty rapidly with young families. Lots of good schools.New shopping, lots of open space. Beautiful area. I posted a ranking of the best school districts in the Philadlephia sub forum. You would be interested in Chester County.

Good luck

Old 03-05-2007, 06:58 AM

6 posts, read 24,762 times
Default moving to pa

my family and i are moving to the "lansdale" pa area from central ohio. our main concern is education for our children...what elementaries should we consider as well as family neighborhoods? my husband will work in the lansdale area and i am a teacher.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:35 AM

23,107 posts, read 21,091,632 times
Lancaster has an excellent musical arts school, one of the best in the state. For a mid way point between Lancaster and Philadelphia, I'd look into the Morgantown/ Honeybrook/ Parkesburg area. Its growing but still rural and not as expensive as further east in Exton and Westchester.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 AM

937 posts, read 2,762,995 times
Welcome to PA! It's really nice to live in this state.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osutopenn View Post
my family and i are moving to the "lansdale" pa area from central ohio. our main concern is education for our children...what elementaries should we consider as well as family neighborhoods? my husband will work in the lansdale area and i am a teacher.
Thats a very nice area

Central Bucks is arguably the best school district in that general vicinity. The biggest town would be Doylestown which is about 10 miles(20 minutes) northeast of Lansdale.

Lansdale area also has some excellent schools.
Abington is to the south
Souderton to the north
hatboro-horsham to the east
Collegeville,Trappe,Worcester to the west

Check out schoomatters. com and put your info in e.g., Lansdale,Doylestown ,elemetary schools etc. that should help you out.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Lancaster has an excellent musical arts school, one of the best in the state. For a mid way point between Lancaster and Philadelphia, I'd look into the Morgantown/ Honeybrook/ Parkesburg area. Its growing but still rural and not as expensive as further east in Exton and Westchester.
Those are nice areas for sure but coming from a big city like Dallas they
may want a quicker pace of life. Also the schools in the West Chester, Malvern,Chester Springs, Exton areas are much better than the more rural areas. Also better shopping, restaurants, things to do with the kids, just a better quality of life, imo. Of course the higher cost of living comes with it.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 8,308 times
Smile Thank you PA from TX

Thanks for sharing such good info with us about possibilities in PA. Warmest greeting from Texas!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 PM

414 posts, read 1,701,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Watson-Martin View Post
My husband and I are considering moving our family (daughters aged 12 and 9) from the Dallas-Ft. Worth area to Pennsylvania to be nearer to his family in the Lancaster area. He works from home, so we are fortunate in that we have quite a bit of flexibility as far as where we choose to buy our home. We're thinking anywhere in or between Philly and Lancaster. Our daughters love music -- both play piano, bass, and guitar. Can anyone recommend a good neighborhood with excellent schools? Thank you.
You can also expose your daughters to Philadelphia's rich classical music
opportunities if they're into it. The Philadelphia Orchestra is one of the best in the world...they hold 'family' concerts in addition to the regular performances; the famous Curtis Institute trains select, outstanding young people at no cost to them, the point being that they have their own symphony, operatic students and so forth...there's much more offered there, but you get the drift.....priceless & numerous opportunities found in few places....

Old 07-07-2007, 10:10 AM

22 posts, read 117,060 times
Default Tx > Pa

Hello Elizabeth,

1st of all, good move !

I just joined so, in case you're still "in the hunt", I live in West Chester which is the Chester County seat & home of West Chester University. It's abt 45 minutes from central Phila & has good schools w/ the lowest school taxes in the county. Of course, housing is EXPENSIVE. All the areas nearby are very "suburban-sprawl" w/ lots of traffic (not LA, NYC or Washington scale, but you could say congested).

Chester Co in general has MANY very nice small "pockets" if you're looking for seclusion, privacy and/or pricey farmettes or historic properties also.

If you want to be a little closer to family OR need a lower cost of living, Lancaster County could be the direction. West Chester is abt 45 minutes east of Lancaster City (county seat), which is then 1 hr 15 - 1 hr 30 mins from central Phila.

AND : it just so happens that I have a house for sale in Strasburg, a very quaint historic boro just 7 miles southeast of Lancaster and convenient to US 30 amenities.

Go to For Sale By Owner (FSBO), Sell home house condo Buy Real Estate MLS to check it out. From the section at the top of the homepage titled "Buying A Home ?", just type in the LISTING ID: (20951438) and click "GO"

If you have further interest, I'll be glad to send you the Listing Data Sheet & "A Brief History" of the property dating to 1874. My contact info is at the bottom of the webpage, or you may email me direct at: rturner@thecastlegate.com

Have a lucky day (it's 07/07/07)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania