Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:58 PM

33 posts, read 209,855 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree that schools with high academic standards have better teachers. My husband teaches in a city school. Until you attempt to be an effective teacher in the city, I challenge you to rethink your statement. When you teach in a city school, at least half your efforts go into classroom management/discipline and you're effective if you can get through to the kids academically. Many brilliant teachers have a heart for city kids; God knows we need them there to help these kids. Average teachers would never last. Good grades are more reflective of the child's homelife and parental involvement. Most suburban schools have a higher percentage of family involvement, therefore better scores. Having said that, I would not send my kids to Lancaster City or Columbia schools, not because of poor teachers, but because of gangs, drugs, etc...

Moving on... nursing jobs are not scarce here and we have a well reputed hospital nearby (Lancaster General/Lancaster Health Campus). As I stated in previous posts, it depends on your field. Many Lancaster Countians commute to work in Harrisburg or Philadelphia for higher paying jobs.

Housing is on the rise in Lancaster County and open land is priceless. It's hard to imagine homes depreciating any time soon here. This county is growing with housing by leaps and bounds.

Here are some towns to check out: Manheim, Lititz, Millersville, Lancaster (not the city, unless you like living in a small city).

If you want to avoid buggies regularly, then you don't want to live in: Strasburg, Leola, New Holland, Paradise, Intercourse, Ronks, or on the east side outside the city (where we live). I would suggest sticking to the west end or Lititz area.

Some good schools: Warwick, Manheim Township, Manheim Central, Hempfield

Also, the Amish people generally have very little influence on us "outsiders". They basically keep to themselves and most are polite, but reserved with us "english" folk. Within their culture, there is actually a lot of depression, teenage pregnancy, drug use, etc... so don't be fooled into thinking they aren't human. I have had some unique opportunities to interact with some Amish folks, so this is not just something I read in a book. It is quite fascinating and inspiring to coexist with them in our face-paced world. They also provide in positive ways to our local economy (farmland, dairy products, produce, tourism, etc...).

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help you further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 09:03 PM

I just want to add that kids everywhere seem to be growing up too fast these days. I believe whole-heartedly that no matter what school you pick, you have to be an involved parent and raise your kids up to make good choices. It doesn't help to shelter them from life issues. I hear horror stories about kids in rural schools as well as city schools, so the issues are everywhere. Parents truly are the anti-drug.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:57 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times
Default Illegal Aliens in Lancaster county?

Hi everybody!

I have a question to everybody that lives in Lancaster County. How is the Illegal Alien situation in " Lancaster County" compared to other cities in the country? For example here in Las Vegas its becoming a bit of a problem crimewise. Many Illegals are forming violent gangs here.

Thank you

Old 04-01-2007, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 18,945 times
Lived in Lancaster for over 24 years..from NY orig. The best school system in Lanvaster is Manheim Twp with Hempfield a close second. Hempfield has more outsiders in it..neither is inthe AMISH areas. Lancaster has many fundamentalist Christians. SOme areas are not very friendly to outsiders (but the two scholl districts I listed have a more diverse polpulation. STAY AWAY from Mt .JOY for Gxds sake!! E Town is not bad but people are not very open to outsiders.. Overall.. Lancaster is great for vacation.. living here is a mixed bag.. many commute LOOOOG distances to King of Prussia and Harrisburg for exployment.. AMISH are good folks..Mennonites are full of it .. religious hypocrites .. Good Luck

Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 PM

20 posts, read 107,277 times
I think mulberry2 is wrong to slam Mt. Joy Schools (ie Donegal). I don't know what your experience is there but unless you have actualy been in those schools I wouldn't dis them. I have actualy tought in those schools and they're not bad. Does mulberry2 know them only by reputation? Well reputation only has some truth to it, you need to look closer and have some inside experience to really know. As a teacher I been been in many schools here in Lancaster county and I would rate them for overall quality 1. Manhiem township (we agree) 2. Solanco and 3. Donegal (MT Joy) these are the best.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:21 PM

20 posts, read 107,277 times
We don't really have an "illegal Alien" problem here in Lancaster county. At least there is not a problem with "violent gangs". We do have a diverse population including many hispanic/latinos here partiularly here in the city of Lancaster. This is more of a culteral and language problem than anything to do with crime. In the city of Lancaster 62% of the school children in the public schools are Hispanic, but many of them are second generation Americans. It leaves the school district with a major job of hireing enough qualified ESL and bilingual teachers. Outside the city of Lancaster you may never run into a person who doesn't speak English, due to economic segragation. Those with lower incomes are closed out of housing in anyplace but the city it's the only place they can aford to live.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 AM

Actually, I have encountered Spanish speaking people all over Lancaster County. You will find them in the areas that have lower cost rentals, and of course, in the city. The hispanic community seems to be the largest immigrant population here, based on my experience.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
I agree with Shcoop; Donegal has a pretty good school district. My wife and her principal visited the high school on Friday and were very impressed with their PASSKEY program as well as other programs in general. I've found that the teachers in the county are dedicated, hard working pros who are very concerned about their students.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:58 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,826 times
Default Hempfield school district

Many people keep mentioning how good Hempfield schools are. But are they in Lancaster or Manheim? Also could someone please post the zip codes for Hempfield school districts?

Thank you!

Old 04-03-2007, 05:38 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,112 times
Default Hempfield Schools

Hempfield School District
200 Church Street
Landisville, PA 17538
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania