Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 AM

323 posts, read 834,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think that $50 million dollar boondoggle high school is a burning tire around the neck of the town. I suspect there was some graft involved amongst negligence and some people should be doing hard time for it. It's a disgrace. And we pay out the butt for property tax on it. $1600 might not sound like a lot to some but like for a lot of people if your paycheck is only $300-$400 a week or lower it's a tidy sum to pay out every year.

Recently I've heard a lot of people talking of moving from Wellsboro to better economic climes. If I myself didn't do the work I do traveling around the country I couldn't live here. There is nothing really to speak of in terms of jobs. Unfortunately, I think it's going to get worse. The population is mostly older and once the WW2/Korean war generation dies off the population will spike even lower. I think we've got to get the old boy anti business fuddy duddies out of town and get working on bringing some dynamic life to the town. Apparently Harley Davidson wanted to take over the old Eagle milk plant to be a parts factory for them and the fuddy duddies in town made sure it didn't happen because "we don't want those sort of people in our town". Morons.

Yes the main street is nice and yes we do have some festivals and the rally, but really if you look closer the place is dying a slow death. Walk in any restaurant and most of the patrons are old geezers sipping their dinner through a straw. Nothing against old folks, but that is what most of the town is and we need to breath some life into this place and attract families and businesses here. 18 year old high schoolers have few choices at graduation: the military, college or move away and very few stay. That is no way to guarantee the life of the town.
I would be careful as to what you wish for. My old victorian town in PA decided to bring in "growth". Now there are strip malls galore and the downtown is decaying. The new jobs (mostly retail) are with large corporations that don't care and there is no security and the pay isn't much better. The new "growth" requires infrastructure so the property taxes went up. The old companies that have been in the area for decades can't afford the higher taxes and are closing. Locals can't afford the cost and are relocating. All in all, "changing the town" pretty much killed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
I would be careful as to what you wish for. My old victorian town in PA decided to bring in "growth". Now there are strip malls galore and the downtown is decaying. The new jobs (mostly retail) are with large corporations that don't care and there is no security and the pay isn't much better. The new "growth" requires infrastructure so the property taxes went up. The old companies that have been in the area for decades can't afford the higher taxes and are closing. Locals can't afford the cost and are relocating. All in all, "changing the town" pretty much killed it.
I've already seen what happens to towns when they get over run with new jerseyites and new yorkers so I do understand. I saw it living in Colorado how they turned mountain towns into New York City in the mountains and it doesn't work well.

What I am saying is that Wellsboro needs an injection of life. When a company like Harley Davidson wants to come in and take over an abandoned building and provide 150 jobs you don't turn that down. Most of the population of Wellsboro is old. You know its a problem when the population is 2700 and you have two oxygen stores in town. What happens when those old folks die off? Because not too many of the younger crowd is hanging around.

I just want to see more of a balance in the demographic. We need to attract and retain families and retain those who graduate high school. Pretty much as a high school graduate you have nothing to graduate to, hence you have to leave.

When you do get beyond the nice main street it is a dying town. What it is going to be in 20 years? Good question.

It will be interesting to look at the 2010 census. Statistically it's been in decline for decades.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:41 AM

323 posts, read 834,820 times
Quote:
I've already seen what happens to towns when they get over run with new jerseyites and new yorkers so I do understand. I saw it living in Colorado how they turned mountain towns into New York City in the mountains and it doesn't work well.

What I am saying is that Wellsboro needs an injection of life. When a company like Harley Davidson wants to come in and take over an abandoned building and provide 150 jobs you don't turn that down. Most of the population of Wellsboro is old. You know its a problem when the population is 2700 and you have two oxygen stores in town. What happens when those old folks die off? Because not too many of the younger crowd is hanging around.

I just want to see more of a balance in the demographic. We need to attract and retain families and retain those who graduate high school. Pretty much as a high school graduate you have nothing to graduate to, hence you have to leave.

When you do get beyond the nice main street it is a dying town. What it is going to be in 20 years? Good question.

It will be interesting to look at the 2010 census. Statistically it's been in decline for decades.
I have seen that in the NC mountains with the rich out of state city folks. I used to go to Asheville and Boone for a lot of outdoor activites, but those towns have done a 180. After my last visit I don't want to ever go back.
Another problem seems to be mostly with how our society is run. Everything has become bigger and corporate on a national scale. A town isn't the lifeline it once was to a community anymore.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,699,549 times
Quote:
The native bagel is pretty decent. It does get old after a while, so for a period of time I'll eat there a lot and then not for a long time.

Scott, I had a similar problem to you with Lambs Creek. We first went a few weeks after they opened. The waitress put the wrong order in and once that was fixed we asked for mustard 3 times and finally the same waitress came back and said okay who wanted mayo? By then our sandwiches were already finished. I thought the food was serviceable enough but I'm in no hurry to rush back.

The Diner, I haven't been in there for years but I hear it as being over priced. Seems to be a tourist trap. I think I will give it a try.

Eddie's, it's been years since I have been there, but I'll have to try that this year.

I eat at Tony's in Wellsboro a lot. I like the pepperoni roll which is pepperoni and mozzarella in a stromboli crust and is the size for one person. He also bakes his own bread twice a day so the steak sandwiches are pretty good.

Another place I like which is a drive from Wellsboro is the Manor Hotel at Slate Run. They sit down in the pine creek gorge on the river and have a great deck. It is my favorite place to dine when the weather is good.

Timeless, the food is good, service at times spotty. In all years I have gone there I have yet to eat in the large dining room, but only the dark tiny section when you first walk in.

Actually what we need in this town is a Five Guys franchise.

I was reading in Mountain Home about Papa V's in Mansfield that got taken over by a chef. It sounded good and I need to try that.

Any other local restaurant recommendations?
Its very interesting to hear others have had issues at Lambs Creek, and even more interesting to me to read what locals think of the diner. My wife and I have eaten there twice together and all together I've eaten there probably four times. It's no big deal, something to do once unless you live for diner food.

I also meant to say it was really sad to see the Canyon Motel shut down.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Its very interesting to hear others have had issues at Lambs Creek, and even more interesting to me to read what locals think of the diner. My wife and I have eaten there twice together and all together I've eaten there probably four times. It's no big deal, something to do once unless you live for diner food.

I also meant to say it was really sad to see the Canyon Motel shut down.
Well I will probably try Lambs Creek again. We just found the service very odd and it didn't really drive us to try it again with any urgency.

The diner is seen as over priced. If I recall my sister, her husband and my parents ate there last year for breakfast and it was $60 which they felt a bit steep for brekkie. It's been a few years since I have eaten there but again will probably give it a go at some point.

Haven't heard any news on the Canyon other than it was auctioned and bought, supposedly. No sign of life there and still closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania