Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:48 PM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
I am sorry that run down buildings, soup kitchens, boarded up shops, drug dealers, and homeless people in the streets qualifies as "very desirable walking community" for you. To the rest of us, we would prefer something better.

This is correct. While the Harrisburg downtown has great restaurants and historic buildings, it is all ruined by the homeless who constantly try to hit you up for money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Quote:
what's up with the insults? i guess you don't like someone using their free speech rights.

I am sorry that run down buildings, soup kitchens, boarded up shops, drug dealers, and homeless people in the streets qualifies as "very desirable walking community" for you. To the rest of us, we would prefer something better.
Well, I worked in downtown Harrisburg for almost 8 years. I've also been involved in activities that have taken me into downtown Harrisburg in the evenings (primarily acting classes at the Open Stage of Harrisburg). Do I think downtown Harrisburg as a whole is great? No. Do I think it is as bad as you described it? No way. Have you spent time on 2nd Street between Market and State Streets in the evenings? Have you checked out the neighborhood near the YMCA? Have you checked out Shipoke? Have you spent time along the river walk along Front Street in the downtown area when the weather is nice? If you have, you know there are some attractive areas in downtown Harrisburg.

I wouldn't say much of downtown Harrisburg is a great place to live, mainly because there isn't a critical mass of people living there at this time (which could be viewed as a chicken or the egg argument). I DO think more people will move to downtown Harrisburg in time, though perhaps not enough to reach a critical mass. The new Harrisburg University building/campus being constructed at 4th and Market Streets should help in that regard.

Finally, a few facts and points of clarification:

*I never personally encountered a drug dealer in the nearly 8 years I lived in the Harrisburg area.

*The Bethesda Mission (homeless shelter and I think soup kitchen) is located north of downtown Harrisburg, up on Reily Street near 6th Street.

*There are only a small number of less-than-desirable buildings in downtown Harrisburg (i.e. the area bordered by the railroad on the east, Forster Street on the north, the Susquehanna River on the west, and I-83 or just a little north of there on the south). There are some areas in Harrisburg that ARE much more rundown (like areas along 6th and 7th Streets between Forster and Division Streets and Allison Hill), but they aren't in downtown Harrisburg.

*I can't remember off the top of my head any boarded-up buildings in downtown Harrisburg (they may exist but they are few and far between). Actually, one building that sort of fits the description was the former adult peep show store along Market Street between 3rd and 4th Streets that was closed down a few years ago.

*I did encounter a number of panhandlers in downtown Harrisburg, but I've come to realize that is par for the course living in any city, especially any eastern city. I've encountered a number of panhandlers since I've moved to the DC area too, including a few in the "nice" areas downtown and at Union Station 1/2 mile from the U.S. Capitol Building. Actually, anytime I visit a relatively large city (New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Richmond), I've encountered panhandlers. You simply ignore them and/or shake your head "no" when they ask for change.

*The area in the PA State Capitol Complex is perfectly fine. It has taken the state perhaps longer than it should have to build that new building at 7th and North Streets, but I think believe it is nearing completion.

Last edited by CHIP72; 01-11-2009 at 06:52 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Harrisburg (the city) is terrible. They need some MAJOR rehab downtown. I wouldn't walk around after 4pm there.
Are you kidding me? LOL Harrisburg's downtown is probably the most successful downtown in Pennsylvania behind Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
I've been asking women my own age who have lived all their lives in the Harrisburg area (some in the city) and the consensus is pretty much that Harrisburg has issues, regardless of the revitalization taking place.

Some of the real estate listings I found of interest had demographic info for that zip code, so I checked it out. 17102 has more men than women living there, which I think is unusual for an urban environment that has a mix of rehabed and low-end housing. It's been my experience that all the 20-somethings I've met who are either renting an apt in H'burg or sharing a rented house with friends there are guys.

I can kinda see that a lot of rehabs are done to appeal more to males. One rehaber seems to specialize in dark kitchens with dark wood cabinetry, dark stone countertops, stainless steel/black appliances -- but no under cabinet integral lighting or glass front lit-from-within cabinets, and only one dim ceiling fixture. An earthy kitchen works better in a larger space with more natural light. It's not a good idea for a row house with small windows only at the front and back. But I suppose you don't need much light to microwave a snack or get to the 'fridge for an adult beverage. I don't want to cook with a snake flashlight around my neck. While other more established urban areas have rehabs and condos with that kitchen configuration, the designers seem to realize that stone/stainless/dark wood is contemporary and always add contemporary lighting -- lots of it. Not one frosted repro Art Nouveau ceiling fixture, which belongs in a retro kitchen with white everything to make the most of what little light there is.

So, while I'm sure there are plenty of areas that are urban walkable in Harrisburg, I don't think I am ready to purchase a home there without a lot more information. And some understanding of that 'brohemia' vibe I sometimes get about H'burg.

Maybe I will wait out the rest of the economic collapse and see what will fall into my price range in other parts of the country.
17102 is Midtown's zip code. A lot of gay guys and younger (straight) guys who share apartments/rowhouses here for the nightlife.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
what's up with the insults? i guess you don't like someone using their free speech rights.

ps. To anyone that hasn't visited Harrisburg, stay in the car and drive around the Capitol building area. see how our PA tax dollars are at work in our economy. it is an embarrassment.
Umm...there aren't any run down buildings or boarded up shops in downtown Harrisburg, sorry. There is a soup kitchen downtown, but pretty much every city has that. Downtown Harrisburg absolutely has homeless people, but it isn't ANY worse then other mid-size cities in the state. Erie and Wilkes-Barre are two cities (just to name a couple) that I have visited that clearly have a worse homeless problem than Harrisburg.

Now, if you are confusing the nearby Allison Hill neighborhood with Downtown, then you have a point. This is a neighborhood that clearly has a lot of issues. But it's seperated by a huge railyard, several blocks, an industrial area, a four-lane road and a steep wooded hillside from downtown. The two areas are completely different.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 AM
sow

2 posts, read 6,174 times
Smile sear for rental apartment

hi we r new for this place can u tell me the apartments near to downtown like 5 to 10 miles rent should be below 600 please help me to find a good apartment thank u

Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 AM
sow

2 posts, read 6,174 times
plese help us to find a apartment near downtown like 10 miles away with a rent below 600 thank u

Old 06-25-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sow View Post
plese help us to find a apartment near downtown like 10 miles away with a rent below 600 thank u
Near downtown what city?

Old 09-06-2009, 06:59 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Older read, just found it, and well worth a re-read.

No one has mentioned the "Main Line" Philly suburbs of Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Wayne, Paoli and Malvern (from closest to the city to further out, in that order). And not along the same linear rail line, but also need to add Jenkintown, Abington, Ambler, Conshhohocken, Phoenixville and Collegeville to the list based on the selection mentioned, "walkable, ... able to walk to the coffee houses, restaurants, etc."

Each of these towns listed has a very walkable downtown, with at least one coffee shop, multiple restaurants (from pizza by the slice to upscale dining).The Main Line towns have the the Septa train stops in the downtown. Two of the five listed, Ardmore and Wayne, have year-round farmer's markets in the downtown area. Several of the others, Conshohocken, Phoenixville, Ambler(??) have seasonal farmer's markets.

The downside is cost, of housing and of living in general. Compared to all the towns and villages already listed, these are gonna be near or at the top in terms of costs to rent or own, and in daily costs of living (gas, food, dining, etc). That is a generalization, and there are some exceptions and small pockets of lower cost housing.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Try looking up areas on Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Some areas I'm familiar with:

Newtown - 94 out of 100: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

New Hope - 100 out of 100: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

Hatboro - 83 out of 100: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

Willow Grove - 83 out of 100: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

West Chester - 91 out of 100: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

West Chester can be a bit of a student area though, due to the University, and I'm not sure that's what a retired couple is looking for. Someone else mentioned State College, which would also be very walkable but due to Penn State, it is a very big student area.
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in those scores, my house is listed not walkable and I'm half a block from the mall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania