Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,352 times

Advertisements

We are two retirees looking for a place to relocate. We are looking for an economical living situation where we might be able to walk to things, participate in community activities and enjoy some beautiful countryside. We have looked at Gettysburg area and have family in Hanover so are familiar with those areas. Gettysburg seems intriguing but has the issues of tourists and perhaps being out of our price range. We would appreciate any input on somewhat smaller communities where we could find housing at the $150,000. price range. Anyway we'd appreciate input in our quest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
I'd suggest checking out Carlisle. Some other possibilities among larger towns (over 5,000 people) include Chambersburg, Shippensburg (though it is a college town), Mechanicsburg, Elizabethtown (another college town), Red Lion, Middletown, and Palymra. Among smaller towns (2,000 to 5,000 people) Hummelstown, Dillsburg, and East Berlin are all worth looking into. I'm not sure exactly what you'd get for $150,000 in any of those towns; some of them may be a little out of that price range.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,694,511 times
If you are looking for things to do in walking distance, and having a variety i would suggest Carlisle as the other poster stated. Mechanicsburg is nice, but you dont have much as far as walking distance. Dillsburg, there is really nothing much. Carlisle, you have food, entertainment, parks, walking trails, shopping all withing walking distance.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,058 times
Since I'm looking in the same areas, I was wondering if anyone had any headhunters they could recommend in the area?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:07 PM

96 posts, read 343,471 times
Not sure why you do not want to consider Littlestown? Maybe the South Hanover area.
I am in Hanover and know that you can find a property within the $150.00 range. I am in the West Manheim district are you familiar with it? Boy it is a small world

Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 AM

148 posts, read 637,594 times
New Cumberland has a small but nice downtown with a one-screen movie theater, several restaurants, a bakery, bank, churches, womens' clothing store, I know I missing stuff. I personally think Lebanon is pretty cool with a great farmers market. However, for a very small city is has some rough parts. The city has a lot of projects in the works that will improve the northside.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 PM

42 posts, read 271,924 times
I live near Lebanon right now, and just cannot recommend it. The only thing worth walking to is the Farmer's Market, and whole city blocks are boarded up and really ugly. There are also lots of problems with drugs. The areas that are nice to live in (suburbs) don't have anything to walk to - and some don't even have sidewalks! Doesn't sound like what you're looking for. Downtown Harrisburg's historic district has some really gorgeous homes that have been remodeled, and new townhouses, and lots of stuff to walk to in the downtown +the riverfront. If you get away from that area, of course, there are bad sections with crime...but I used to live a block up from the river, close to the state museum and really loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania