Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 PM

35 posts, read 308,473 times

Advertisements

I am planning to sell my car by next month and the car is registered(expiring this March) to California State. I have previously changed my car insurance to PA State. My question is:

Do i need to transfer my car registration from CA to PA before selling this car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpix99 View Post
I am planning to sell my car by next month and the car is registered(expiring this March) to California State. I have previously changed my car insurance to PA State. My question is:

Do i need to transfer my car registration from CA to PA before selling this car?

Well the registration has nothing to do with selling the car nor the insurance for that matter..

Heres a couple things that could stop you from selling the car here in PA.

1. If the title is out of CA, you will need to send it in and have it titled in PA, if you have a PA, Dl..

2. Are you living in PA, or CA,?? You cant transfer an out of state title in PA if you dont live here. Meaning you have to have a PA, DL.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Well the registration has nothing to do with selling the car nor the insurance for that matter..

Heres a couple things that could stop you from selling the car here in PA.

1. If the title is out of CA, you will need to send it in and have it titled in PA, if you have a PA, Dl..

ANS: Title is in CA and I have a PA driver's license.

2. Are you living in PA, or CA,?? You cant transfer an out of state title in PA if you dont live here. Meaning you have to have a PA, DL.
ANS: I live in PA.

Question: with the information i mentioned above, can I sell my car in PA while it has CA title?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
ANS: I live in PA.

Question: with the information i mentioned above, can I sell my car in PA while it has CA title?
Well you should of signed off on the title in CA, and had a Notary, stamp it.. But as long as you have a PA, DL, you should have no problems selling the car..

I would not go to Penndot to have it done.. They will more then likely make you send in the title and pay 10 bucks wait 3 weeks for it to come back a PA, title..

Go to a tag & title place.. Some of them people there really dont care and will just do it for you with out any problems.. But just dont take my word for it... Go to Northeast Title & Tag: Titles, Tags, and Notary Get a phone number and give them a call.. The call is free and so is the advice.. The last thing you want is to have the money in hand and on the way to sign the title over and they tell you NO... Id be pissed!!

Best of luck to you!!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Well you should of signed off on the title in CA, and had a Notary, stamp it.. But as long as you have a PA, DL, you should have no problems selling the car..

I would not go to Penndot to have it done.. They will more then likely make you send in the title and pay 10 bucks wait 3 weeks for it to come back a PA, title..

Go to a tag & title place.. Some of them people there really dont care and will just do it for you with out any problems.. But just dont take my word for it... Go to Northeast Title & Tag: Titles, Tags, and Notary Get a phone number and give them a call.. The call is free and so is the advice.. The last thing you want is to have the money in hand and on the way to sign the title over and they tell you NO... Id be pissed!!

Best of luck to you!!
Hi, John

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have one more question: I went to the link you sent me Northeast Title & Tag: Vehicle Registration (http://tagman.org/registration.html - broken link) and so far, my understanding is, upon the completion of this transfer process I will receive 1) A registration card 2) New sticker and 3) A new license plate. But how about my title (pink slip?). Do I need that to be transferred to PA State as well or can I still keep it until the day I sell my car?

Old 01-12-2009, 03:25 PM

I was just rereading your response... so if I have PA driver's license and PA insurance, but my car still has CA title that is registered until March ... I can sell my car by February without having to transfer the title to PA?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Hi, John

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have one more question: I went to the link you sent me Northeast Title & Tag: Vehicle Registration (http://tagman.org/registration.html - broken link) and so far, my understanding is, upon the completion of this transfer process I will receive 1) A registration card 2) New sticker and 3) A new license plate. But how about my title (pink slip?). Do I need that to be transferred to PA State as well or can I still keep it until the day I sell my car?
Ok let me ask you this?? Do you need to drive the car now?? Is the car payed for?? Meaning no bank leans?? You have the title in your hand???

As long as you OWN the car meaning you have the title for it. In your name and theres no leans on the car.. You DO NOT need a new license plate, or any kind of stickers for anything..

All you have to do is bring the title for the car with your name on it to the tag place with your DL, you then sign off on it with whoever is buying the car.. You get the money for the car and leave. The guy buying off you has to pay for Pa, sales tax, on what ever the price you sold it for, then he will need to get a tag, and so on.....

You need to do nothing but prove you own the car with the title. A pink slip is something you get when you buy the car at a dealer, the title you get in the mail when the car is paid off..

Heres what to do... Go to the website get the phone number.. Call them tomorrow. Say to the lady.. I have a car im selling in PA, and the title, of the car is out of CA, I have a PA, DL.... Can I sell my car?? Or do I need to send the title in and have a new PA, title sent to me before I can sell it?? You will get a yes or no.. If no then you will have to fill out all the out-of-state forums, prove you live here, with some kind of bills with your address on them. SS #, and also two forums of ID, and pay however much they charge you to get that CA, title changed to a PA, title.. Could take anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks to get back in the mail..

Old 01-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I was just rereading your response... so if I have PA driver's license and PA insurance, but my car still has CA title that is registered until March ... I can sell my car by February without having to transfer the title to PA?
You DO NOT need to have the car registered, here or anywhere for that matter to sell it.. Also you do not need Insurance on the car to sell it..

All you need is the title of the car with your name on it that says you own the car.. Reg, or insurance, does not prove you own it. It only makes it leagle to drive on PA roads..

Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
You DO NOT need to have the car registered, here or anywhere for that matter to sell it.. Also you do not need Insurance on the car to sell it..

All you need is the title of the car with your name on it that says you own the car.. Reg, or insurance, does not prove you own it. It only makes it leagle to drive on PA roads..

Thanks for the great info! I was just curious because I am not sure if i would get in trouble "if" i got pulled over by a police while having my car registered to CA and a PA insurance. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania