Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:05 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,690,933 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Pennsylvania and I always wonderered why we refer to our state as "P.A." all of the time.

I understand that it is a post office abbreviation, but why are we the only ones to do this?

How many other states do that? Immagine people saying "I'm from F.L.", or "I'm heading to C.A, or I'm from T.N.

Kinda funny, and I don't understand why we do this in Pennsylvania.

Other states have names just as long as Pennsylvania (California, Oaklahoma, ect.), but they don't seem to have the urge to use the abbreviation. It just doesn't sound as good to say Los Angeles, C.A. as it does to say Pittsburgh, P.A.

Doesn't really bother me though - anybody have any ideas? Is is just because it rolls off the tongue?

This could easily be the biggest mystery of our time.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,888,031 times
I live in Ohio near the PA boarder and almost never say Pennsylvania! haha!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:55 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,061,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I grew up in Pennsylvania and I always wonderered why we refer to our state as "P.A." all of the time.

I understand that it is a post office abbreviation, but why are we the only ones to do this?

How many other states do that? Immagine people saying "I'm from F.L.", or "I'm heading to C.A, or I'm from T.N.

Kinda funny, and I don't understand why we do this in Pennsylvania.

Other states have names just as long as Pennsylvania (California, Oaklahoma, ect.), but they don't seem to have the urge to use the abbreviation. It just doesn't sound as good to say Los Angeles, C.A. as it does to say Pittsburgh, P.A.

Doesn't really bother me though - anybody have any ideas? Is is just because it rolls off the tongue?

This could easily be the biggest mystery of our time.....
Here's an interesting thought:

When I visited Boston, I remember the tourism board there mentioning more than once in its publications that people from the Boston area refer to Massachusetts as "Mass" because they are "so fast-moving" (in other words, cool, urban, and slick).

Then I get one of those "you know you're from PA when..." emails, and on this email was the statement "You refer to your state as PA. No one else does this."

My take was that people in Boston are cool because they say "Mass" but we are uncool because we say "PA" even though we are both shortening a word that is annoying to say.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:01 PM

44,885 posts, read 59,858,372 times
And everybody knows that the most uncool person from P.A. is way cooler than than anyone from Massachusetts ever dreams of being.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:06 PM

172 posts, read 606,091 times
I'm from Alabama. I've been visiting PA for 20 years and just started saying PA in the last few years. It is better than the term L.A., which we use for Lower Alabama

Old 01-23-2009, 04:51 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,760,585 times
I'm pretty sure I have heard people refer to Maryland (MD) as M.D. Not often, but enough that it came to mind immediately. I didn't grow up in PA, but have called it P.A...but I have no idea when I started to...

Old 01-23-2009, 06:34 PM

160 posts, read 635,754 times
The earliest reference I've seen for PA is from the film 42nd Street. It's a Depression Era (1930s) musical about the cast of a musical theater production. One of the preview locations before taking the musical to NYC is Pittsburgh for a Sunday matinee. The leading lady says: "Pittsburgh PA. And on Sundays it's P.U."

Old 01-23-2009, 06:48 PM

80 posts, read 200,730 times
I just call it "home" ..LOL

Old 01-23-2009, 06:53 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,324,569 times
I prefer PA to Pennsy.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:29 PM

587 posts, read 1,617,755 times
People from other parts of the country don't say PA - they say Pennsylvania. Only if they are from PA or the surrounding states. I've lived in TX for the past 17 years (grew up in PA) and when I tell people where I'm from I say Pennsylvania because I think if I said PA, they would say "Huh????"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania