Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Part of NEPA Should I Photograph Next?
Scranton: West Side 1 2.86%
Scranton: South Side/Minooka 3 8.57%
Dunmore 1 2.86%
Moscow/North Pocono School District 3 8.57%
Clarks Summit/Clarks Green 4 11.43%
South Abington/Chinchilla 0 0%
Waverly/Dalton/La Plume 0 0%
Mid-Valley Area 0 0%
Carbondale 1 2.86%
Montage Mountain/Glenmaura 4 11.43%
Pittston 2 5.71%
Upper West Side (West Pittston, Wyoming, Exeter) 1 2.86%
Lower West Side (Kingston, Forty Fort, Edwardsville) 1 2.86%
Bear Creek 1 2.86%
Wilkes-Barre: Parsons/Miners Mills 0 0%
Wilkes-Barre: Downtown 1 2.86%
Wilkes-Barre: The Heights 2 5.71%
Avoca/Dupont/Duryea 2 5.71%
Freeland 0 0%
Sugarloaf/Conyngham 1 2.86%
Hazleton/West Hazleton 0 0%
Nanticoke 3 8.57%
Plymouth 1 2.86%
Bloomsburg 3 8.57%
Lewisburg 2 5.71%
Stroudsburg 3 8.57%
Danville 0 0%
Berwick 1 2.86%
Milford 6 17.14%
Other (Please Specify Below) 3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:47 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
well the township or burrow or what ever they call it is pretty typical for our area. lots of closely spaced houses down around the main street area, but the further out you get the more spread out they get, there are some very impressive Victorians out there too. Out by the Shickshinny lake area, which incidentally is really not that close to the burrow, there are a lot of newer houses and McMansions that are not so impressive but are very big. the burrow itself is pretty interesting. Down in the lowlands that are constantly flooded, most of the houses that used to be there are just lots now. many of the houses that are the still there have either been re-built on top of large concrete slabs or are just still there by chance... the shickshinny levy is a joke to look at considering the flood last year topped it by I think 10+ feet... up in the hills of the shickshinny is pretty neat too. the entire place is on the foothill of a mountain so they got creative with how to build and place houses for the counters of the land. It makes for some interesting driving!
There is no levee in the borough of Shickshinny. There were no funds available from the Feds or Commonwealth or help from the Army Corps of Engineers in the years following Hurricane Agnes' dire flooding. For years, defenders of communities downriver from Wilkes-barre begged to have the river dredged rather than raise the levee system in Wyoming Valley because the latter exercise would only exacerbate the floods suffered by downriver communities...

This lack of funding/ attention is the chief reason for the downward spiral of Shickshinny to less than half its 1950s population. It has an aging population of some lovely people and some new folks, some of whom have been less than desirable....the borough looks very shabby in comparison to its onetime thriving, middle class self...serving as the primary marketplace for the surrounding countryside. Until the 1950s there was even some rail passenger service. Today there are no rails......

Thenearby countryside includes two artifical lakes---Shickshinny Lake, east of Huntington Mills toward Muhlenburg and Lake Pine Crest near the hamlet of Town Hill, west northwest of Huntington Mills.

In these areas and out toward Harveyville, a certain number of New Yorkers, etc., have taken refuge. The hamlet of Huntington Mills has always been gracious, but has lost a bit of its charm over the past two decades, as well as its local dairy. There are some wonderful colonial homes in the area, some of which had once been occupied by gentlemen farmers in years past and even one prosperous food broker from Kingston.

Picturing good old Shickshinny would be a rather sad exercise......painful to see the decline.....

again, how about Glen Summit and perhaps Lake Nuangola?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 02:28 PM

114 posts, read 370,139 times
Default Photos

If you get a chance please take a couple of photos of the Moscow area.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 43,297 times
How about some photos of Duponts multi-family houses.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 AM

937 posts, read 2,888,951 times
I too will be taking photos soon of the Scranton/Dickson City areas and other areas in NEPA. If anybody wants any photos let me know. I want to help out SWB with the tours

Old 03-13-2007, 03:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCA1 View Post
How about some photos of Duponts multi-family houses.
I completely forgot all about that property on McLean Street, and I apologize! I should have some time tomorrow between classes to head on up and snap a few photos of the property though. Sorry again! You messaged me and asked me to snap those photos during a rather stressful week, and I apologize for letting it fall to the wayside.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
I too will be taking photos soon of the Scranton/Dickson City areas and other areas in NEPA. If anybody wants any photos let me know. I want to help out SWB with the tours
Thanks a lot "Auntie!" I'd personally love to see some photos of the little hamlets up by you in Wyoming County (perhaps Meshoppen, Laceyville, Lake Carey, Lake Winola, Noxen, etc.) I'm notorious for posting more "urban" types of photos from Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, and it would be nice to have them counterbalanced with some country villages and greenery to show that the entirety of NEPA isn't just concrete and asphalt.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 03-13-2007 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 03-13-2007, 06:11 PM

11 posts, read 43,297 times
Thank you Paul. You do fine work!

Old 03-13-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCA1 View Post
Thank you Paul. You do fine work!
Thank you. Since the snow has mostly melted here now, it will be much easier for me to find an on-street parking spot near to the property too.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 AM

937 posts, read 2,888,951 times
Smile Your wish will be granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Thanks a lot "Auntie!" I'd personally love to see some photos of the little hamlets up by you in Wyoming County (perhaps Meshoppen, Laceyville, Lake Carey, Lake Winola, Noxen, etc.) I'm notorious for posting more "urban" types of photos from Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, and it would be nice to have them counterbalanced with some country villages and greenery to show that the entirety of NEPA isn't just concrete and asphalt.
The Lake Winola area is beautiful. We were up there a few weeks ago to get barrels to burn our trash. I will make sure to have my camera at hand everytime I go out. Meshoppen is up through Rt. 267 and a hop and a skip from me, my dear nephew.

PS My own computer isn't up and running yet. On DH's computer when he is not on.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Pike County it is!

With a whopping five votes, it's apparent to me that there is a lot of relocation-related interest in Milford/Pike County. I'll head out today to snap some photos for my latest photo tour. Look for a new thread to be posted around mid-afternoon with my latest pics. Enjoy, and, as always please vote for a new area for me to capture next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania