Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 01:03 PM

99 posts, read 353,061 times

Advertisements

OK. Let me try again. I have asked about local taxes in the counties of PA. Has anyone ever heard of this? We have friends who live in Lewisburg who have to file federal, state & local tax. Is that anywhere in the Berks, Lancaster, York counties? Does anyone know what this is, or is it just in certain areas? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:51 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Yes.
See PA's Local Tax Enabling Act http://www.newpa.com/get-local-gov-support/local-government-law-library/download.aspx?id=254 (broken link)

As an out of stater the big surprises are:

Earned Income Tax - typically 1% or 2% with very few exemptions. In a logical system this would just be added to the state income tax forms since you need to know your municipality and school district to file those. In PA there are varying local entities charged with collecting the tax.

Occupation Tax - This is a tax that's often several hundred dollars payable once a year. Sometimes both the municipality, and the school district, will impose this tax, each once a year at different times. These are usually paid to the elected local tax collector.

Property tax bills typically come twice a year as well - once for a combined county and municipal tax, the other for the school district which is generally higher. These, also, usually go to the elected local tax collector.

Local Services Tax - is paid to the municipality you WORK in not the one you LIVE in. The maximum amount is $52.00 and at local option can be withheld weekly/biweekly or a single paycheck hit (which it always used to be when it was limited to $10).

This information varies for each and every one of the 2,000+ municipalities in PA. By "municipalities" I mean a city, borough, town, or township NOT THE COUNTY. Call the municipal office and ask about all these taxes - as mentioned, usually different entities collect the different kinds of local tax, so you will want to ask closely about the taxes collected by other offices than the first one you called.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:37 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaluv View Post
OK. Let me try again. I have asked about local taxes in the counties of PA. Has anyone ever heard of this? We have friends who live in Lewisburg who have to file federal, state & local tax. Is that anywhere in the Berks, Lancaster, York counties? Does anyone know what this is, or is it just in certain areas? Thank you for your help.
I lived in Ohio, which was the same. I paid federal, state, and local taxes so wasn't surprised to here. We live in a township, so we have no city taxes, but we do therefore pay township taxes. I live in Franklin county, Greene township, but I would imagine the entire state runs the same way.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,110 times
I live in Cambria County. I pay federal and state tax.

The local tax is a bit more convoluted...

1% to the township I live in
0.2% "commuter tax" to the city I work in.
$10 Per Capita Tax to the township
$52 EMS Tax to city I work in.

Not to mention property tax and school tax

Old 01-30-2009, 04:58 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
If this a bit overwhelming, your local H&R Block will do your local taxes for free when you get your federal and state done there.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 AM

99 posts, read 353,061 times
Thank you very much for all your help. We're originally from NY, & paid Fed & State, & property tax is crazy there. Honestly, to get out of Fl, I'm not too concerned w/property tax. I hate it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania