U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 AM

142 posts, read 337,993 times

Advertisements

Considering the two areas for relocation.

Wondering about :

1. Job market -- which area has more job prospects, and is there much in the way of tech jobs available(computer tech, help desk, etc.)?

2. Crime -- which area is safer?

3. Culture -- Is one area more "rural" or "suburban" feeling than the other?

4. Cost of living -- Is there a big difference between the two areas?

Im from jersey and I hear the Lehigh valley is being overrun by NJ/NY transplants. Im afraid this will drive up the cost of living and overcrowd the area so I might be leaning more toward harrisburg/york at the moment.

Thanks for the help!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM

389 posts, read 824,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkHorse View Post
1. Job market -- which area has more job prospects, and is there much in the way of tech jobs available(computer tech, help desk, etc.)?
The job market is miserable at this time. For tech you may be slightly better off in the King of Prussia area.

Quote:
2. Crime -- which area is safer?
I'd rank downtown Harrisburg as the worst, then York, then Allentown and Bethlehem isn't too bad.

Quote:
3. Culture -- Is one area more "rural" or "suburban" feeling than the other?
They're all suburban once you get out of the downtown centers. Harrisburg has the better restaurants, Bethlehem has a walkable downtown (walkable as in not getting harassed by bums).

Quote:
4. Cost of living -- Is there a big difference between the two areas?
York and Harrisburg area are cheaper in terms of rent and real estate.

Quote:
Im from jersey and I hear the Lehigh valley is being overrun by NJ/NY transplants. Im afraid this will drive up the cost of living and overcrowd the area so I might be leaning more toward harrisburg/york at the moment.
Yeah they pretty much turned the area into McMansionville, USA. I would avoid the LV anyway since there isn't much in a way of culture in those bland suburban cul-de-sacs.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:13 PM

142 posts, read 337,993 times
Thanks for the info.

I realize the job market sucks everywhere these days. Im fortunate enough to have a relatively secure job at the moment so ill be waiting out the rest of the recession here in jersey.

Im looking to get away from NJ style sprawl so harrisburg/york area is looking much better to me.

Not really interested in living downtown anywhere because of possible crime issues. Would rather find a suburban town with a decent amount of amenities and within 20-30 minutes of the downtown area.

How are the harrisburg suburbs like Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, Hershey, Middletown, etc??

Thanks again!

Last edited by TheDarkHorse; 02-02-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 PM

I like Carlisle's historic downtown and I also like the general Hershey area. But if I were going for a suburb close to downtown amenities then I would go with Camp Hill which is right across the river from Harrisburg.

Quick access to good restaurants and bars that dot the Susquehanna river.

Middletown and Mechanicsburg are both too small IMO.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,260,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
I like Carlisle's historic downtown and I also like the general Hershey area. But if I were going for a suburb close to downtown amenities then I would go with Camp Hill which is right across the river from Harrisburg.

Quick access to good restaurants and bars that dot the Susquehanna river.

Middletown and Mechanicsburg are both too small IMO.
Just for the record, Middletown and Mechanicsburg are both larger then Camp Hill. That being said, Camp Hill is definetely a good choice. Middletown and Mechanicsburg both have larger, more urban, dense and walkable downtowns, however.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Just for the record, Middletown and Mechanicsburg are both larger then Camp Hill. That being said, Camp Hill is definetely a good choice. Middletown and Mechanicsburg both have larger, more urban, dense and walkable downtowns, however.
Middletown and Mechanicsburg are "technically" larger than Camp Hill, but they are single entities. Camp Hill is part of the Harrisburg metro.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,260,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Middletown and Mechanicsburg are "technically" larger than Camp Hill, but they are single entities. Camp Hill is part of the Harrisburg metro.
Huh? Mechanicsburg and Middletown are most certainly part of the Harrisburg metro.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM

12,871 posts, read 29,528,396 times
I lived in the Harrisburg area for one short summer almost 24 years ago and have lived in the Lehigh Valley for just over 11 years, so can't really compare the two, but I do have a couple of points about the LV. While there are some people moving in from NJ and NY, we are not being "overrun" by them. This is a big area with a dozen school districts so a couple of hundred new kids over 100 schools does not really make that much of an impact.

Second, there are many towns that are two hundred years old, and while there is some sprawl, it's nothing like what we moved from in the Philadelphia suburbs and what I've seen in parts of New Jersey. Look at these towns and see what you think: http://www.macungie.pa.us/Business%2...20Brochure.pdf , Emmaus Main Street Program - Home (http://www.emmausmainstreet.com/home2.htm - broken link), Coopersburg Historical Society, City of Bethlehem Homepage

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM

184 posts, read 698,623 times
One advantage of the Lehigh Valley is the number of colleges around. They add a cultural dimension -- theater, music, talks. Also, proximity to NY and Philadelphia.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:26 PM

149 posts, read 587,537 times
I moved to Camp Hill from Southeast Florida in July. If feels suburban but is very convenient to Harrisburg. The Giant is very nice but not like the Whole Foods. I can't speak to the job market because I moved here for a job. My company is looking for two people and there are not foreclosures that are infesting Florida. The cost of living is SIGINFICANTLY lower but I might have a distorted perception. Property insurance is one fifth, car insurance is a third, and property taxes are a quarter. Houses here are cheap. You can get a REALLY nice house for $300,000 which used to be chump change in SE FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania