Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:34 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,061,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Pretty much any town between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, except State College. Have your pick!
I would INCLUDE the WHOLE state of Pa. That includes Philly, they're liberal like Pittburgh when it comes to labor issues, but not on othere things. I can only speak for the white people (which I am), not sure about the other races.

Look how both the mayor's of Pittsburgh and Philly (including the governor Rendell) backed Hillary instead of Obama. The mayor of Philly is black, and he still backed Hillary. I doubt that was by choice, but it's an example of how conservative the state of Pa. is. Espeacially when it comes to race relations, the whole state is backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:03 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,030,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
No they don't, conservatives simply choose not to invest in infrastructure and community. If they had their way, most bridges would collapse like the one in Minneapolis (yes that's an Interstate bridge, but the same philosophy exists on every level).

Maybe the OP can live in a red state as most red states get more per Federal dollar than they put in (funny how they don't reject the additional funds).
Give me a break!

Conservatives focus on viable investment that is going to benefit the engine of expansion.

Infrastructure improvement and investment should be implemented with a minimum of taxation. Toll roads will always be preferable because only those who use the road are those who pay for it. However, conservatives recognize the reality that roads are needed for national defense and, given current use patterns, would be a wise investment because it provides a needed support to expansion through the interstate transportation of goods and services.

Community investment by government is an oxymoron. The government cannot develop wealth; that is done by individual people. The government, through confiscatory tax policies applied to those who drive the engine of expansion through their own hard work, can only institutionalize wealth redistribution. This is done through taxation and social welfare programs that do not advance the society nor the individual.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,749,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post

Look how both the mayor's of Pittsburgh and Philly (including the governor Rendell) backed Hillary instead of Obama. The mayor of Philly is black, and he still backed Hillary. I doubt that was by choice, but it's an example of how conservative the state of Pa. is. Espeacially when it comes to race relations, the whole state is backwards.
So what are you saying? That the mayor of Phily should have supported Obama just because he's black??

And Hillary is not exactly a conservative. If Hillary is a conservative when compared to Obama, then this country is in trouble.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
So what are you saying? That the mayor of Phily should have supported Obama just because he's black??

And Hillary is not exactly a conservative. If Hillary is a conservative when compared to Obama, then this country is in trouble.
What % of black people voted for Obama just cause of that fact? Howard Stern, did a show on it. He sent someone from his show out into Harlem, and had that person ask people on the street questions about the election. Questions like, " What do you think about Sarah Palin running on Obama's ticket"? You know how they responded? They said things like, "Yeah yeah, it's about time we get a woman in the white house". They didn't even know that Sarah Palin was running on John Mcain's ticket! It was hilirious to hear what they were saying and how clueless they all were about anything to do with politics.

And how many stories have you read about blacks who were life long republicans, but voted for Obama? Thing that gets me, he's BI-RACIAL! He has as much white in him as black. Funny though, the media NEVER likes to mention that fact.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,863,195 times
Quote:
Maybe the OP can live in a red state as most red states get more per Federal dollar than they put in (funny how they don't reject the additional funds).
I'd love to move to a truly red state such as Wyoming but family constraints are making that difficult. My compromise is something like PA. Close to family but not as liberal as NY which is turning into another California.
I appreciate all the help and comments but please lets keep on subject .

Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,108,641 times
I am on the subject.

There are liberals in Alabama and conservatives in PA.

It sounds like you don't want to be around many people which is fine because when you do socialize with a lot of people you are bound to find people who have different cultural, social and political views.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 PM

92,046 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Wow is all I'm going to say about some of these posts......Anyway, what exactly do we mean by conservative here?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,863,195 times
My OP was about areas to live ,not political debate. If that's where we're going, it's not what I intended. To those that gave me places that seem more conservative to live in, thank you. Where anyone gets the idea that I don't want to be around many people I don't know. I just don't want to be around overwhelming liberal people. I've worked in the UN for 25 years so I've been around every kind of people you can imagine.

By Conservative, I mean areas that the inhabitants vote primarily Conservative and live Conservative lives. I'm not religious at all but am Conservative in mose everything else. I want to retire to an area where my vote has a chance of counting and I don't get opposition whenever I voice my views. I've had enough of that in NY thank you..

Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
My OP was about areas to live ,not political debate. If that's where we're going, it's not what I intended. To those that gave me places that seem more conservative to live in, thank you. Where anyone gets the idea that I don't want to be around many people I don't know. I just don't want to be around overwhelming liberal people. I've worked in the UN for 25 years so I've been around every kind of people you can imagine.

By Conservative, I mean areas that the inhabitants vote primarily Conservative and live Conservative lives. I'm not religious at all but am Conservative in mose everything else. I want to retire to an area where my vote has a chance of counting and I don't get opposition whenever I voice my views. I've had enough of that in NY thank you..
I'm telling you, most people in Pa. are conservative Democrats. The UNIONS are strong in Pa., therefore they are very liberal when it comes to labor issues. But most of them I'd consider to be 'Reagan Democrats'. Remember what Obama said about the residents of Pa.? He said,"They cling to their guns and religion".

I'm sure he was pissed after Hillary cleaned his clock there. But they really are conservative. Alot of them might not think so, but they are. Hit the West or East coastal cities and they'd see what being a liberal is all about. The thing about Pa. is, it's a very blue collar kinda state. A guy who works hard with his hands all day, is going to have a different view than some preppy Ivy league type who resides on either one of the coast's.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 PM

457 posts, read 1,275,014 times
Quote:
No they don't, conservatives simply choose not to invest in infrastructure and community. If they had their way, most bridges would collapse like the one in Minneapolis (yes that's an Interstate bridge, but the same philosophy exists on every level).

keep drinking that koolaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania