Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:34 AM

389 posts, read 1,092,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
But if they're already teaching atheism, which is also a religion (yes, it does require faith to say that there is no God)....so why are they not teaching all those other religions you mentioned, along with the atheism that is pushed in schools under the guise of "evolution."
They teach Evolution in Catholic school and I doubt it's under the guise of atheism. Also, atheism is not a religion. There is no Church of Atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 05:41 PM

8 posts, read 11,731 times
Default Intelligent Design

I know people get all excited about whether other people believe like they do , but I think we as individuals need to make up our own minds about what actually makes sense.
The fact is , that recordable history only goes back a few thousand years (maybe 6 to 10 ). All other "facts " are based on theory. I believe dinosaurs could have lived and become extinct just like many other animals. I believe we can't "prove" how everything became the way it is today.

I know that we can assume with full certainty , that your being able to think intelligently , is because an intelligent designer created everything.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 PM

125 posts, read 446,287 times
Or the frontal lobe.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:14 PM

160 posts, read 635,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephrata Bob View Post
I know people get all excited about whether other people believe like they do , but I think we as individuals need to make up our own minds about what actually makes sense.
The fact is , that recordable history only goes back a few thousand years (maybe 6 to 10 ). All other "facts " are based on theory. I believe dinosaurs could have lived and become extinct just like many other animals. I believe we can't "prove" how everything became the way it is today.

I know that we can assume with full certainty , that your being able to think intelligently , is because an intelligent designer created everything.
If you had watched the NOVA program, the definitions of 'theory' vs 'fact' or 'truth' were discussed, and it was explained that only one of these is used to describe the findings of scientific research.

Recorded history is not the subject matter of a biology class. That would be world history, ancient history, or anthropology. Biology does not rely on written historical records to determine how life forms are similar or different from one another.

And of course you are welcome to assume whatever you please with 'full certainty' but please please please do not assume to speak for others, thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 AM

8 posts, read 11,731 times
Default city mouse on intelligent design

A lot is assumed in the theory of evolution or the study of it.
The recorded findings are part of the study of biology. Some of these findings were found to be made up to support Darwin's theory.
You are right about me assuming for myself and not for everyone else. I cannot , with intellectual honesty, understand how one could except the idea that there is no intelligent designer.

Sorry if I can't agree with you, but it just isn't logical to me.
I am responsible for my own belief's, not for yours or anyone else.

Yes , I was assuming everyone saw things that are obvious to me , as obvious to them also. Maybe some time we will agree.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:05 PM

160 posts, read 635,978 times
Peace, Ephrata Bob...most scientists are people of faith. But they are not doing research to determine the purposes and nature of God. That is beyond the scope of science.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM

148 posts, read 635,317 times
There actually is a Church of Atheism. I only know this because the founder, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, was murdered and I think I watched it on 48 Hours or something like that.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 PM

18 posts, read 70,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephrata Bob View Post
A lot is assumed in the theory of evolution or the study of it.
The recorded findings are part of the study of biology. Some of these findings were found to be made up to support Darwin's theory...
Please enlighten all of us then about what is assumed in the theory or study of evolution. Yes, there are scientific assumptions based on detailed observation, experimental design, etc. But what constitutes the "a lot" that is assumed and what are these findings that "were found to be made up to support Darwin's theory"? Really, we'd all like to know, and I'm interested to find out your source for this info.

Also, if you want to talk assumptions... are you trying to say that the untenable belief in "intelligent design" does not require one to assume many things? The entire "theory" is based SOLELY on assumption; an assumption with absolutely zero evidence, scientific or otherwise, to support it.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,295,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
But evolution is just a THEORY, there's no actual scientific proof of evolution. Why do secular humanists think that their belief in evolution should be taught as gospel to all school students? I'm tired of secular humanism, which is just another religion in my opinion, being rammed down everyone's throats in schools, while Judeo-Christian beliefs are blackballed.
Wrong.

Theory means that it is not 100% certifiably proven true, but generally accepted to be true by the scientific community. There is proof everywhere of evolution. The fact that medicine tested on rats can be applicable to humans, use of pig hearts in humans, that human and chimpanzee DNA are 99% similar. To state that evolution has not scientific proof shows a gross misunderstanding and/or negligence.

And to say that religion and science can't co-exist is false. Religion explains the "why" while science explains the "how". Even one of the most scientifically backward religious organizations in the world accepts evolution to be true. And that organization would be the vatican.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX News
Monsignor Gianfranco Ravasi told reporters that: "One thing is sure. Evolution is not incompatible with faith."

"Creationism from a strictly theological view makes sense, but when it is used in scientific fields it becomes useless," Ravasi said.

Quoting the late Pope John Paul II, Ravasi said that "evolution can no longer be considered a hypothesis."

Pope Benedict XVI warned last week against fundamentalists' literal interpretations of the Bible.

The pontiff told a gathering of intellectuals and academics in Paris that the structure of the Bible "excludes by its nature everything that today is known as fundamentalism. In effect, the word of God can never simply be equated with the letter of the text," Benedict said.
FOXNews.com - Vatican Official Defends Evolution Against 'Useless' Creationism - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News

Old 02-16-2009, 09:41 PM

18 posts, read 70,512 times
^ good post, marodi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania