Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2007, 02:59 PM

33 posts, read 134,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, we are all entitled to our opinions. I am not a teenager, I am near retirement age and have seen a lot of the country. Is Pennsylvania attractive? Yes. Is it a good place to try and earn a living? In my opinion, No.
Of course everyone is entitled to there opinions, it's just that sometimes you can be a lot kinder to people who don't agree with you. You can really hurt someone's feelings. Let's just all try to be nicer to each other. If you don't care for Pennsylvania, thats fine, just don't put it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretostay View Post
The only thing I miss is Penn State football (but I've got Gameplan so I get to watch them on TV). I used to miss the chips, but we have Utz's here now. I live in Holly Springs, NC (Raleigh sub) and love it.
Of course, you have discovered that there are NO football teams in Raleigh/Durham.... The mantra is "Wait 'til basketball season!"

Old 03-20-2007, 08:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraferg View Post
Of course everyone is entitled to there opinions, it's just that sometimes you can be a lot kinder to people who don't agree with you. You can really hurt someone's feelings. Let's just all try to be nicer to each other. If you don't care for Pennsylvania, thats fine, just don't put it down.
How did I put it down? I said it wasn't a good place to earn a living. As far as I'm concerned that is a valid opinion. The title of the thread is "Do you miss Pennsylvania?" Just because you have said you love PA does not mean anyone who doesn't is mean, as you posted. Good grief!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 PM

54 posts, read 216,604 times
Quote:
How did I put it down? I said it wasn't a good place to earn a living.
PA is hands-down the best state for blacktop work in the country. That's the only reason I live here.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,866 times
Smile I can't wait to return to PA!

If you don't like PA, that's fine, but there's no need to get hysterical. All the histrionics just make some of those complaining about PA in an over-the-top way seem like pretty immature people. I think the pro-PA people have represented themselves as very mature and nice people (way to go! That makes me proud of the classy people who identify themselves strongly with PA).

I can appreciate that some parts of PA are economically depressed, but so are some parts of ANYWHERE. I live in DC, and believe me when I say there are parts of DC that are VERY economically depressed. I personally LOVE PA, grew up near State College, wherein many people are highly educated and work for the university at high-paying jobs. It's clean, quiet, pleasant, and the people are extremely friendly.

DC, while it's not a bad place, for me pales in comparison to PA. For one thing, I live 3 miles from my job in DC and it takes 45 minutes to commute. Yuck. In PA I lived 5 miles from my job and it took 5 minutes to commute. In DC, you can forget about customer service unless you have plenty of money and/or "know somebody" (ugh, I am tired of the poor customer service here). In State College, I have had the best service anywhere except for when I lived in Japan (yeah, they do a good job there!). In DC, I can't see the stars at night and I choke on exhaust when I walk on the street. In State College, I can see every star in the night sky, and I can walk outside and breathe central PA's clean air and hike in the woods. State College doesn't have gangs, but within a year of moving to DC, my car had been stolen by a gang . Oh, and murder rate in DC? about 200 times that of State College. These things all matter to me, but might matter less to others.

Would I ever go on a forum and bash DC? No. I'm sure many people love it, if that is their thing. I am content to live here for a while, and even having been the victim of an actual crime I wouldn't be as childish as some of the posters I saw on this board. DC has positives and negatives, but for me, the positives of PA win out. If it weren't for my spouse's job being located only in DC, I would move back to PA in a heartbeat.

Bottom line: You should live somewhere where you like the majority of things that matter to you. I like quiet, clean air, friendly people, lots of personal space, mountains, forests, rivers, stars, educated people, skiing, hiking, low/no crime, four seasons, horseback riding, and many of the other things State College offers more than I like the city, crowds, the excitement, and being close to everything, and the crime that DC offers. I would love to have my window open at night here without my neighbor's lights and the voices from the street streaming in. Can't wait to get back to PA so I can be lulled to sleep by the spring peepers and crickets!

See all you PAians soon, I hope!

Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM

[
Quote:
QUOTE=toriatama;487846]If you don't like PA, that's fine, but there's no need to get hysterical.
DC, while it's not a bad place, for me pales in comparison to PA. For one thing, I live 3 miles from my job in DC and it takes 45 minutes to commute. Yuck. In PA I lived 5 miles from my job and it took 5 minutes to commute. In DC, you can forget about customer service unless you have plenty of money and/or "know somebody" (ugh, I am tired of the poor customer service here). In State College, I have had the best service anywhere except for when I lived in Japan (yeah, they do a good job there!). In DC, I can't see the stars at night and I choke on exhaust when I walk on the street. In State College, I can see every star in the night sky, and I can walk outside and breathe central PA's clean air and hike in the woods. State College doesn't have gangs, but within a year of moving to DC, my car had been stolen by a gang . Oh, and murder rate in DC? about 200 times that of State College. These things all matter to me, but might matter less to others.

Would I ever go on a forum and bash DC? No.
It seems like you just did.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
[

It seems like you just did.
She was just telling the truth.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:41 PM

I see. Telling the truth about Pennsylvania is bashing, even if I don't tell anyone else what to do. Telling the truth about DC, is just telling the truth.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I see. Telling the truth about Pennsylvania is bashing, even if I don't tell anyone else what to do. Telling the truth about DC, is just telling the truth.
DC has lots of crime, State College doesn't, simple as that.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Get back on topic, please.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania