Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 01:58 PM

101 posts, read 470,182 times

Advertisements

Left PA 4 years ago,
Born and raised in the Pocono's
I don't miss hot humid summers, rude NJ tourists, rude NY tourists, bad drivers
excessively high car insurance, lackluster winters that are moist and
uninspiring.
I miss a few of my collegues, other than that, PA really holds no
value. Central PA is nice, the eastern side is just really an
extension of New Jersey now.

Maybe I'll go back one day, but I currently have no desire or need to.

For the record, I left PA for Colorado, am currently in Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:57 PM

68 posts, read 276,814 times
born and raised in Johnstown PA and MISS the area terribly. Would LOVE to move to Pittsburgh as my husband is from California, PA.

We moved to MN 9yrs ago or jobs and HATE it. I just wish there were better jobs in Pittsburgh. We were all set to move back in a year or two and beg for jobs in Pittsburgh and now the housing market stinks in MN so who knows when we'll get out of here. We can't stand it in MN and really want to get back to Pittsburgh, it's a great place.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 PM

244 posts, read 714,384 times
Kim, you can buy my house in the Burgh because my wife and I are hitting the eject button when it comes time to retire (sooner being better). We're not natives but we've both lived here our entire working lives, nigh to 30 years. In all of that time I've never been able to quite grasp the culture of western PA or the hold that it has on the natives. I guess that you have to be born to it. Pgh has all the accoutrements of a major city with the most clannish, pessimistic mindset imaginable. Ladle on top of it a mediocre job market, cloud cover that puts Seattle to shame, some of America's most shamelessly grasping politicians and the most absurd liquor laws in the USA and to all outward appearances you'd have a pretty sorry mess. However, the local folks are almost invariably kind and helpful, the area is visually interesting with its hills and old houses and its cultural opportunities and civic infrastructure compare favorably with other major cities. The pluses and minuses kind of cancel each other out leading me to say goodby PA hello NC, but I can well understand why very few native Pittsburghers ever achieve escape velocity.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 PM

68 posts, read 276,814 times
Well I don't get the draw to NC but I know a lot of people that have moved there. If you disliked the Pburgh area so badly it's a shame you didn't get out sooner. I think every place has got it's faults. It really does come down to where you were raised. I could come up with a laundry list of things I find horrible here in MN as well. The job market in PA is bad but I still really admire the people there who are hard working and geniune. I just wish things would pick up in the area.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:32 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Default the most absurd liquor laws?

Hi !

Just curious, but please explain what you meant by this from your post below? ---and the most absurd liquor laws in the USA

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBND View Post
Kim, you can buy my house in the Burgh because my wife and I are hitting the eject button when it comes time to retire (sooner being better). We're not natives but we've both lived here our entire working lives, nigh to 30 years. In all of that time I've never been able to quite grasp the culture of western PA or the hold that it has on the natives. I guess that you have to be born to it. Pgh has all the accoutrements of a major city with the most clannish, pessimistic mindset imaginable. Ladle on top of it a mediocre job market, cloud cover that puts Seattle to shame, some of America's most shamelessly grasping politicians and the most absurd liquor laws in the USA and to all outward appearances you'd have a pretty sorry mess. However, the local folks are almost invariably kind and helpful, the area is visually interesting with its hills and old houses and its cultural opportunities and civic infrastructure compare favorably with other major cities. The pluses and minuses kind of cancel each other out leading me to say goodby PA hello NC, but I can well understand why very few native Pittsburghers ever achieve escape velocity.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
Default Moving from Pa to TN

Hubby and I have lived our entire lives in SW PA. I'm originally from Fayette County, lived in Allegheny County, worked in the city of Pittsburgh, lived in Washington County, and now live in Beaver County.

I laughed when I read a previous post about the best jobs are in blacktop - that's the biz my hubby is in. LOL! But, we're both in our 50's, and it's getting tiresome that he gets laid off when the weather gets too cold and bad about mid - November until mid-April. And so, we're moving to TN. We considered Nevada, Florida, Texas, North and South Carolina and Georgia. Pros and cons to all of those states, but what decided us on TN was that the topography, as well as the friendliness of the people, the country atmosphere in eastern TN is so much like home, as well as no state income tax (shhhhhh!).

Corrupt politicians are everywhere. Life isn't perfect no matter where you live, so it doesn't matter about the liquor laws, etc - life is what you make it. Where you live and how other people treat you is how you make it, and how you treat other people.

I'm country, and have always talked with other people in the grocery lines. In the small towns and rural areas, that's just the way it is, no matter where you live. I've travelled pretty extensively across the US, Canada and Caribbean. I've found that if you smile at people, they'll generally smile back.

Hubby and I wanted to go somewhere where the winters are milder so that he can work longer thru the year. I can work from home, or I can get a job as a cashier, doesn't matter. I've got a career with insurance, but where we're moving to, my career is kaput - no big deal. As long as there's a dr's office, hospital, grocery store, WalMart or data entry jobs, I can work. I don't need my own office, or cubicle and people under me doing the grunt work. I came up from doing grunt work, I can do it again.

Yes, we understand that wages will be lower there, but so is the cost of living. There are pros and cons, no matter where you go. You just need to get all information before you make your move, research research Research, and make certain this is right for you. We'll miss our family, but airfare is relatively cheap thru SouthWest, and we'll only be a 9 hour drive from family.

Keep smiling and as the Bible states, love one another.

blessings, Shen

Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
He means that you can't run down to any grocery store to buy a 6 pack. You have to go to a beer distributor and buy an entire case. They're not allowed to sell anything less.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
He means that you can't run down to any grocery store to buy a 6 pack. You have to go to a beer distributor and buy an entire case. They're not allowed to sell anything less.
SEE!!!!
There you have it again....
Us in PA like COMPANY...LOL...so why only buy one beer, when you can have a bunsch (*intentional mispelling!!) of friends come over, helping you with the rest of the case????? LOL!!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 657 times
Pa has some of the nicest people you will ever find. The winters are not fun but the four seasons you get to enjoy are great. Northeast PA is a fantastic family dominated area where everyone seems to know everybody. The economy is picking up and the unemployment has been dropping down to around 5% or lower. You will never find keilbosa like you can in northeast PA.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:15 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutsout View Post
You will never find keilbosa like you can in northeast PA.
I'll have to have mine shipped down for New Year's and Easter!

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania