U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,591,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
You really lived in the area for 36 years??
Correct; I had season passes at Peek N Peak and Holiday Valley for years, and as I mentioned earlier, my family were some of the first settlers of the Mina NY area.

I grew up in North East, so of course, with North East Township bordering Greene Township, I'm more than familiar with how much snow the area gets.

It looks like what's his face above provided actual NOAA data from some of the hardest hit areas, I'll take that over the "people who should know what they are talking about".

The mid 200 inch range factually reported is a lot to begin with. Of course snow tallies will vary, but 50 inches or more than what is factually reported? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 AM

33 posts, read 174,841 times
Living in the area for so long, I am sure you realize that the areas shown by the NWS as the hardest hit in Chauatauqua County aren't just individual spots on a map that happen to get crushed relative to surrounding areas. They are locales that are located on the very ridge, elevation wise, that I have been zeroing in on in this whole topic. My topic was not meant to focus on the annual snowfall in North East, or the Airport, or anywhere else specific. I am referring to the 200+" annual average snowfall for locations on the Chautauqua Ridge, which happens to be where the land I am buying is located. I guess maybe I read you wrong when I got the impression you were indicating that it was an "exageration" that the area I am referring to averages 200 inches per year and will most likely hit 300 inches this year. Trust me, before my wife and I decided to go after the land we are buying we spoke with the forecaster I referenced at the National Weather Service and he confirmed that 200+ inches was a very accurate average snowfall for the ridge region. Obviousl, the way LES bands set up it can very, especially with elevation, but history tells us this area gets 200+ inches on average over decades of time just as Buffalo Airport averages 93 inches per year. I was kind of hoping someone with your experience in the area could give me more insight into the local atmosphere instead of arguing over annual snowfall numbers. They get a ****load of snow..can we agree on that?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 AM

4 posts, read 4,257 times
My dtr is 14 and even if I didn't work, it would still be. Challenge for me to get her to school 15 min away every day especially ad the years go by. Now high school starts o early. Peak n peak to villa is about 40 min on a ood day. A bad could be an hr. There and back x 2. 4 hrs a day of life wasted driving and hundreds in gas week. Maybe pick a beautiful home in a ood school district and let the peak area be. Camp or vacation home til kids are grown or ol you know the options and area better. Plus what if one kis has a extracurricular activity that oes not arch the other kids che. It o much easier when in the school district ith bus transportation. Stay away fo. Erie schools . Also research curriculum. Catholic schools most of the time do not stand up tp the millcreek education. It's diff than when I grew up going to holy trinity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania