Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:44 AM

16 posts, read 63,375 times

Advertisements

Hey. I have no idea about PA, but I am thinking of relocating to start a family. My job has offices in the following places. We would like to be as close as possible to both upstate NY as well as NYC (3-5 hour car ride).
Cranberry Township
Harrisburg
King of Prussia
Lancaster
Montgomeryville
Robinson
West Homestead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,326 times
Cranberry and Robinson Twsp. are both in western PA. Robinson is near
Pittsburgh International Airport and Cranberry is about 25 miles north of
Pittsburgh. Cranberry is a very nice suburb.
West Homestead is also around Pittsburgh so
if you wanted to stay closer to NYC, you shouldn't pick these.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 AM

179 posts, read 1,067,953 times
king of prussia and montgomeryville put you about 1.5 -2 hours from nyc. both areas are nice KoP is centrally located right by the major highways. Montgomeryville is a bit more north and west not as much traffic as the KoP area.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg onez View Post
We would like to be as close as possible to both upstate NY as well as NYC (3-5 hour car ride).
Cranberry Township---a northern suburb of Pittsburgh. Very nice area within the greater metropolitan area of Pittsburgh. The drive to NYC is 6+ hours. The drive to western upstate NY is 3 hours.

Harrisburg---located in central east Pennsylvania near the turnpike. Harrisburg is a large rural town and the state capital. All news is about agriculture and state politics. The drive would be about 3 hours to NYC and the same for upstate NY.

King of Prussia---this is a northern suburb of the greater metropolitan area of Philly. It's a nice area and the closest location to NYC at 2 hours. The drive to upstate NY would be about 3 hours.

Lancaster---rural area located south of Harrisburg. This is a very nice area where the Amish live. The commutes would be about the same as from Harrisburg.

Montgomeryville---not sure

Robinson---a western suburb of Pittsburgh. Very nice area within the greater metropolitan area of Pittsburgh. The drive would be about the same as Cranberry.

West Homestead---run down southern mill town of Pittsburgh. Avoid.

The cost of living is lower in the Pittsburgh suburbs than the Philly suburbs. Harrisburg is affordable too. Lancaster is getting more expensive because it's becoming a popular suburb for Washington DC/Baltimore families trying to escape the high home prices of Maryland and Virginia.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,228,646 times
King of Prussia

Old 04-08-2007, 03:29 PM

9 posts, read 38,575 times
Hi there,

None of these is going to be exactly optimal, but I would personally pick King of Prussia. There is just more going on there and it's close to Philly if you guys get really bored. It's by far the best (in my humble-bumble opinion) of the places you listed.

That said, I don't know schools in that area if that is a concern. Lancaster probably would be good, but you know it's a lot of farmland and Amish. I LOVE THE AMISH PEOPLE, but they are pretty insular (in good ways for them, but bad, I'd think, if I were relocating...)

s

Old 04-08-2007, 03:36 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,624,149 times
Harrisburg is a reasonable option, 3 hours from NYC, growing area with lower cost of living then most places on that list. More and more NYC transplants moving into this area. This area was recently named one of the best in the nation to raise a family, great suburbs with great schools and very little crime.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:33 AM

222 posts, read 1,412,271 times
Harrisburg is about 175 miles from NYC. Let me tell you, the drive is okay, 14 miles on i-81 north, until you get to i-78, it's nice for the first 30 miles or so, then it starts to get very bad, lots of bumps and ruts and very very heavy truck traffic. It's smoothe sailing until you hit allentown's suburgbs (trexlertown, emmaus, etc) there has been construction in and around there for the past three years, once you get past them you're in new jersey. You really need to watch out there, the nj state police are all over the place (in pennsylvania you might never see them, they are sometimes near allentown and harrisburg, but that's it. most of the nj drive is okay, just watch your speed, the closer you get to the city, it becomes 3 and then 4 lanes, but you need to watch out, the traffic is crazy. I usually go to edison, nj, which is i-287 south, but sometimes i go to manhattan or flushing. It takes about 3 hours depending on how fast you go.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,561,983 times
Montgomeryville is in Bucks county and the schools are very good but very large and traffic can be horrible, probably just as bad as King of Prussia. I think where you live depends on your priorities.

Schools were our number one priority. For our last three moves we got out a map and made a circle of twenty miles around where my husband worked and then found the best school district within that radius. I absolutely hate traffic, everyday traffic where you have to think about the best time to go somewhere just because of traffic so a more rural area would be a number 2 priority. If the schools are just as good in a more rural area, I would absolutely choose the more rural area. We also looked into the growth area of a school district. It's not advantagious to move into an area that is experiencing rapid growth if the school district can't keep up with it. What good are great schools (on paper) if the kids are in modular trailers and classrooms have over 25 kids in them?

I think it's very important to realize what your priorities are and what kind of quality of life you want. If you want good schools, great shopping, don't mind lots of traffic then Mongomeryville and King of Prussia might suit you fine.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 16,223 times
Montgomeryville is in Montgomery County not Bucks County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania