Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 PM
brw brw started this thread

7 posts, read 24,507 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Central PA area - most notable Derry Township, Manheim Township, Lititz area. Would greatly appreciative any insight to the lifestyle, friendships, education an elementary school boy from Ct. might have. It would be the 2nd move for our son. He is a very sweet, shy, athletic boy. Would love any insight from a parent as to life in the area for the future of our family.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 04:20 PM

222 posts, read 1,408,284 times
i live in harrisburg about 7 miles outside of derry, i graduated high school about 8 years ago. i didnt go to school there, i cant tell you anything specific. there is a growin heroin and meth problem in a lot of the schools here. some people would deny it, but it is becoming bigger and bigger in suburban schools. not to scare you, but thats probably happening in every town in americathose schools are pretty peaceful as far as i remember, nothing crazy happening like shooting or such. the athletics are okay at derry twp. lititz and manheim are both suburban / rural areas and pretty nice. i spend a lot of time in mt joy which is on the otehr side of manheim, its pretty nice, laid back, the only problem is some of the people who move there from lancaster or harrisburg city are criminals. about a year ago, some mt joy people kidnapped a bank manager and threatened their family unless they gave them keys to the bank. it was drug related. manheim has a great farmers market with lots of amish products.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 22,532 times
In Derry Township I believe you will find the hoity toity attitude with many of the kids. Derry Township folks think they are "it". They do have good schools though. Taxes are high.
Lititz is a great small town. One of the more liberal towns in a conservative area. I don't anything about the schools though.
Manheim is very much dedicated to their high school sports. Some think too much. A conservative town.
Elizabethtown/Mount Joy is a nice area. Rather conservative . I have been actively working with my neighbors and other local people to keep the small town atmosphere (we just succeeded in keeping Wal-Mart out). The above mention about the one major crime in the area for years is a fluke. There are drugs everywhere. This area does not have a public problem.
DK

Old 05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
SAD

1 posts, read 3,715 times
Smile Derry Pennsylvania - 50 miles East of Pittsburgh

I believe the other people writing comments are talking about another town by Lancaster - Harrisburg area.
I have lived in Derry all my life. Derry is a pretty laid back town. Not too much trouble. When something does happen - it makes the papers because of it being a small community. The plus about Derry is that you have a small town and shopping isn't far away. Latrobe is 7 miles away and Greensburg (Malls) is about 15 miles away.
Granted, Derry's business section is only two streets, but if you want a quiet town, and don't care to drive a little to shop, it is the one to live in.
The schools are wonderful. I have had the pleasure of graduating from Derry and my kids (22,17) - one in college and one in high school go to Derry.

The middle school - a few years ago, received the award of being the best middle school in PA. Their staff is probably the best around. The state testing is about average for the grade levels. It just depends on how devoted the kids are to doing their school work and being responsible and disciplined.
Every school in America has drug problems in their schools, they would be wrong in thinking that they don't. If the kids are smart, avoid it and trouble, they will make something big of themselves

Thank you
SAD

Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 AM

24,371 posts, read 22,978,526 times
Manheim Township/ Lititz are probably the most upscale areas in Lancaster, or near them. Great locally owned supermarkets( Stauffer's, Oregon Pike) nearby. Very close to a major shopping area north of Lancaster. Mennonites and amish and very rich people all ignoring each other, but not in a bad way. I almost got nailed by a teen ager driving a BMW SUV yacking on a cell phone while being 2 feet over the center line. There have been a couple murders there, one kid killed his girlfriend's parents a few years back and another person killed a family of three just recently, still unsolved. Money can mess up a community.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,631 times
I find it interesting that a lot of peolpe in this thread mixed up Manheim Township and Manheim Central.

+Manheim Central is the rural, conservative, sports dedicated school district.

+Manheim Township is much closer to Lancaster city, more affluent, and as a result tends to perform better statistically.

Having attended one of the schools I find it essential to point out that a generally well adjusted child should be comfortable in either one. Moving is hard on children regardless of where they move to.

Also having graduated high school within the last five years, I find it almost amusing that anyone thinks a child could make it through school without encountering drugs.

Ultimately I would suggest asking your child what he would want from a school distrtict and then trying to find the right match. What your child requires to be satisified and comfortable within his daily life is more pertinant than the opinions of strangers.

Last edited by Upon_the_Strand; 07-10-2007 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Left out some things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania