Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times

Advertisements

Jobs in Oil City/Franklin or safe Pittsburgh suburbs for me?

I am self employed but dont yet make enough money to move out. I am really suffering from this terrible south Florida heat. I feel depressed, tired and irritated. I complain about the 80-84 degree heat in my room. Even opening the window hardly helps, tried that last night and my room temperature went down to a whopping 78.5 degrees even though it was like 67 outside. Its gonna get much hotter in the summer and this summer will be hotter than usual with temperatures of 90-95 outside and high 80s inside. I wont be able to get anything done because itll be too hot.

The weather was a wonderful 57 degrees in Oil City and will be in the 50s to 60s the rest of spring and in the summer itll be in the low to mid 80s which ill take anyday over low to mid 90s here in south Florida! Does anyone know of any job openings in Oil City or even in the Pittsburgh suburbs paying at least $8 an hour for a college graduate? $8 an hour is good money over there due to the very low costs of living and dirt cheap housing. My home internet business makes me some money and when I make enough money, ill quit the job. Just need a temp job so I can get out of this depressing and oppresing weather and also have my own house and life and great weather up north

Old 03-22-2007, 07:44 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
One thing stuck out - "dirt cheap housing" - usually there's a reason for that. You think Florida is depressing? Oil City's clouds and rain will drive you nuts. But, this isn't about that.

There are some jobs, but not much over $10/hour. I think it's mostly jobs like retail since there isn't a lot around.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
You don't have air conditioning in Florida? I thought that was a basic there. Anyway, you can buy a room A/C for $70., and hang out in your room to avoid the heat and keep your sanity.
I could never tolerate Fla's heat, NEVER.
Anyway...just to let you know...we have had our fair share of 95 degree days here in Pa. Last summer was a real hot one. Some people say you can get by without it, but I have to have my A/C here in Pa.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
You don't have air conditioning in Florida? I thought that was a basic there. Anyway, you can buy a room A/C for $70., and hang out in your room to avoid the heat and keep your sanity.
I could never tolerate Fla's heat, NEVER.
Anyway...just to let you know...we have had our fair share of 95 degree days here in Pa. Last summer was a real hot one. Some people say you can get by without it, but I have to have my A/C here in Pa.

I do but my dad programmed it to 81 degrees and thats too hot for me but dad insists its fine. Ill be getting my portable a/c unit so I can survive the miserable south Florida weather that many people, even you cant tolerate! I cant wait to move out, you are lucky to be living in PA and its great weather, can you enjoy the spring for me? I cant wait to join your wonderful state!

Oh I got 2 windows in my bedroom and one of them is too small, the other is in the front and dad says itll look ugly. So ill need that portable a/c that I can put in my bedroom with an exhaust tube thru the small window. Dad can have his 81 degrees, I want no more than 77 degrees.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:08 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
I never had ac living in pa,just fans. In fact when we moved to south carolina I had no idea how to work it until shown. The summer is far more comfortable up north than in the south. Also it is NOT cloudy and rainy much of the summer in Oil City.Also there is a mix of jobs in retail and manufacturing.Also check franklin and cranberry for jobs both are real close 10 minutes approximately from city center.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:44 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Why not subscribe to the local newspaper in Oil City? You can have the newspaper mailed to you in Florida. Reading a local newspaper is a great way to get a feel for a place.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:08 PM

I checked for jobs in Oil City and there are none. Franklin however has some. Theres a home dept. accepting some openings. May consider that for a summer job while my home business takes off. If my home business takes off before that, wont need any job then. Would love to leave this hot, miserable south FL by June if possible

Old 03-23-2007, 06:36 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I checked for jobs in Oil City and there are none. Franklin however has some. Theres a home dept. accepting some openings. May consider that for a summer job while my home business takes off. If my home business takes off before that, wont need any job then. Would love to leave this hot, miserable south FL by June if possible
Why not take a regular job in West Palm Beach now, so you'll get to Oil City before June? What was your major in school? Maybe you can find something in your area of expertise.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Why not take a regular job in West Palm Beach now, so you'll get to Oil City before June? What was your major in school? Maybe you can find something in your area of expertise.

Because I sent out resumes and never heard back from those companies. They offer $38k a year salary which wont get me anywhere in West Palm Beach, but its enough money to save up for Oil City. I can do graphics design and build/repair computers. If there is any of those types of jobs in Oil City or Franklin, please let me know. I am also self employed and depending how well my business does, I may never need a part time job. If I cant get a job in Oil City or Franklin, my home internet business will have to do.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:43 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
NAH, applying to TWO JOBS is not enough. Keep trying, like any normal person would.

Your home business isn't making you income right now, so don't rely on it yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania