Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times

Advertisements

The Property is in Berlin,Pa about 10 miles from Somerset and the PA Turnpike. I have the deeds of my Mom who owned the property and the title since a mobile home is included on the property. I have a buyer who wants to purchase the property and paying a price near the assesssment fee.
My question is ,since this is a private sale,do I just give the buyer the deed and title and he transfers his name,or do I need to do something?
This is My mothers property and I have Power of Attorney but Mom asked My Cousin and I to take care of selling the propery since Mom is 90 years old. We finally got the house and garage cleaned out a few weeks ago and it was no fun. Any info would be appreciated and thanks.

Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 PM

160 posts, read 638,793 times
I sold a home once without an agent, but each side had an attorney to draw up the proper paperwork and get the right papers filed, etc. It wasn't very expensive. There must be some folksy lawyer types in the area who offer no-frills, down-to-earth, legal services. Ask the person who did the POA for help.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM

297 posts, read 505,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderman1942 View Post
The Property is in Berlin,Pa about 10 miles from Somerset and the PA Turnpike. I have the deeds of my Mom who owned the property and the title since a mobile home is included on the property. I have a buyer who wants to purchase the property and paying a price near the assesssment fee.
My question is ,since this is a private sale,do I just give the buyer the deed and title and he transfers his name,or do I need to do something?
This is My mothers property and I have Power of Attorney but Mom asked My Cousin and I to take care of selling the propery since Mom is 90 years old. We finally got the house and garage cleaned out a few weeks ago and it was no fun. Any info would be appreciated and thanks.

Dennis
You can download real estate forms online, have them notarized and make the sale yourself. This is very difficult. No matter what you do, it's PA law that you have to give the buyer disclosures. The best thing to do is go through a lawyer and split the cost with the buyer. This is usually $200 or less. The biggest pain for a sale by owner is writing the disclosures, then having to do with the paperwork with the county with describing the property, finding the house in the county book of deeds or whatever it is called. Just hire a lawyer to do this stuff. If you do it poorly and the individual sues you, that's the big problem. Make sure you do the disclosures and write that the house is as-is without any warranties or claims to its condition.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:05 AM

47 posts, read 232,036 times
One last thing to add to the previous post concerning warranties; you MUST also state the house is as is without any warranty including the warranty of merchanability for it to be a true as is sale.

I agree about getting legal help. See if there is a law school in the area; they have clincis that could probably help you for free. If i was in PA I would do it for you but I am in MD, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania