Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 AM

226 posts, read 760,939 times

Advertisements

MaryAnn's Donuts was at the MD's location in the 60's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 PM

40 posts, read 101,135 times
As someone else said, the Big Wrangler in Sunbury was behind the 4th Street Laundromat. The building is still there - there are offices in it now. The one in Lewisburg was on 11&15, adjacent to the Plaza 15. There is a convenience store there now (started as a Uni Mart, then has been a number of things since). When the chain closed, it turned into a car stereo store called "Speed Of Sound". I only remember this because I bought 2 stereos there, and we had a disagreement on something that cropped up. I heard similar stories from other people who stopped there. I was not surprised when they closed.

I may not be correct, but there is an old abandoned convenience store between Danville and Bloomsburg called "Mid-Mart", and I believe that was another Big Wrangler at one time. I'm trying to remember where the one in Montoursville was.

1623 Montour Boulevard - Mid-Mart, Danville, PA 17821

Of course, there was the Acme at Orchard Hills and then the Mall. There was CR's Friendly Mart where Alexander Toyota expanded their lot. Jewel T and Carvel were once in the plaza across from the skating rink, as well as Card Smart (I miss that store), Wahl-Braun Furniture, and M&L Electronics (where we got our first VCR in the early 80's, and I got my first stereo a few years later).

While K-Mart is still there, I remember when it had an auto service department, a deli (in the middle of the store), and a cafeteria in the back.

And we could spend all day on the businesses that have come and gone in the mall......

**ETA: Someone mentioned the old Kinney store. The thing in there the longest was The Rag Shop. Can't remember if there was anything in there before that or not. And the restaurant in the old Rax building was called "The Spaghetti Shop". We were upset when Rax closed (there are still a handful left - ate at one in Ohio back in 2005), but we love Italian, so we went in when they opened. We waited forever for our food, and when it came, there was an inch and a half of water in the bottom of the bowl. I hate that. I complained and sent the food back. The manager came out and told me that they make fresh pasta and it takes time and that all fresh pasta has water in the bottom of the bowl. She also said that apparently I'm not familiar with "real" Italian cooking. I very directly told her that my college roommate's Grandma was very Italian and I ate at her house a number of times. I told her that it doesn't take over an hour to make fresh pasta and that if they're in a restaurant setting, they need to be making pasta constantly. I also told her that having all that water in the bottom of the bowl wasn't "real Italian" - it was pure lazy. We got up, didn't eat, and walked out the door. Never went back. Wasn't surprised they closed down quickly.

Does anyone remember what all was in where Tokyo Diner is? I remember it was a pseudo-Hooters place called Knockers. Then the guy who used to own New York Style Pizza in Selinsgrove took it over, but it didn't last, which was a shame because I loved his food. I remember there being some various things in there over the years, but can't for the life of me remember what they all were.

And for the life of me, while I remember the Acorn Motel, I can't remember where it was anymore......

Last edited by Funky-Rat; 10-17-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 02:26 PM

226 posts, read 760,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky-Rat View Post
As someone else said, the Big Wrangler in Sunbury was behind the 4th Street Laundromat. The building is still there - there are offices in it now. The one in Lewisburg was on 11&15, adjacent to the Plaza 15. There is a convenience store there now (started as a Uni Mart, then has been a number of things since). When the chain closed, it turned into a car stereo store called "Speed Of Sound". I only remember this because I bought 2 stereos there, and we had a disagreement on something that cropped up. I heard similar stories from other people who stopped there. I was not surprised when they closed.

I may not be correct, but there is an old abandoned convenience store between Danville and Bloomsburg called "Mid-Mart", and I believe that was another Big Wrangler at one time. I'm trying to remember where the one in Montoursville was.

1623 Montour Boulevard - Mid-Mart, Danville, PA 17821

Of course, there was the Acme at Orchard Hills and then the Mall. There was CR's Friendly Mart where Alexander Toyota expanded their lot. Jewel T and Carvel were once in the plaza across from the skating rink, as well as Card Smart (I miss that store), Wahl-Braun Furniture, and M&L Electronics (where we got our first VCR in the early 80's, and I got my first stereo a few years later).

While K-Mart is still there, I remember when it had an auto service department, a deli (in the middle of the store), and a cafeteria in the back.

And we could spend all day on the businesses that have come and gone in the mall......

**ETA: Someone mentioned the old Kinney store. The thing in there the longest was The Rag Shop. Can't remember if there was anything in there before that or not. And the restaurant in the old Rax building was called "The Spaghetti Shop". We were upset when Rax closed (there are still a handful left - ate at one in Ohio back in 2005), but we love Italian, so we went in when they opened. We waited forever for our food, and when it came, there was an inch and a half of water in the bottom of the bowl. I hate that. I complained and sent the food back. The manager came out and told me that they make fresh pasta and it takes time and that all fresh pasta has water in the bottom of the bowl. She also said that apparently I'm not familiar with "real" Italian cooking. I very directly told her that my college roommate's Grandma was very Italian and I ate at her house a number of times. I told her that it doesn't take over an hour to make fresh pasta and that if they're in a restaurant setting, they need to be making pasta constantly. I also told her that having all that water in the bottom of the bowl wasn't "real Italian" - it was pure lazy. We got up, didn't eat, and walked out the door. Never went back. Wasn't surprised they closed down quickly.

Does anyone remember what all was in where Tokyo Diner is? I remember it was a pseudo-Hooters place called Knockers. Then the guy who used to own New York Style Pizza in Selinsgrove took it over, but it didn't last, which was a shame because I loved his food. I remember there being some various things in there over the years, but can't for the life of me remember what they all were.

And for the life of me, while I remember the Acorn Motel, I can't remember where it was anymore......
I believe it was called Ben's Den at one time. I remember the guy from NY that was in there. I did some work in the restaurant area and he paid with all cash out of his front pocket

Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
Quote:
I believe that was another Big Wrangler at one time. I'm trying to remember where the one in Montoursville was.
It was across from Sylvania, then was a different family restaurant/catering business and may be a car dealer now, but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've been on Broad Street in Montoursville.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
The Kinney Shoe Store next to the old Bonanza/Monroe Township Elementary School that was torn down for Pep Boys which flopped years later, then Superpetz waa there since I remember, I think it was built just for that? Looked very 60's.

Ben's Den is correct, it was something before that but I forget what, Pargas used to be next to it they sold Propane, which was a computer store for a while and a bunch of other things after that.

Acorn Motel location is across from Budget Bakery, it was a used car lot for years.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Cool picture. I never knew that had been a motel. I'd heard of the Acorn Motel but couldn't picture where it was. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:28 PM

56 posts, read 182,913 times
I sure miss Twisters!!! Anyone remember that?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Yes! That was next to Pizza Hut, right? I loved going in there. The one waitress was so friendly and got to know us pretty well. My son, who was about 6 at the time, loved the big juke box.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM

40 posts, read 101,135 times
Kinney Shoes was where Aaron's Leasing is now.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ei2Ik5quiI...on+il+1976.jpg

The old elementary school was torn down for Pep Boys, later Super Petz. Weis owned Super Petz and without warning, closed the whole chain down in several states.

Thanks for the reminder on the old Acorn Motel. I bought a car there eons ago. I think it was called Autos Plus. It was a 1987 Dodge Shadow. Good car, but the paint peeled on it. Had it for a number of years. Sold it to someone who stripped it, repainted it, and used it for many more.

I remember Twisters, but we never had good luck there. Either bad food or bad service. We finally gave up. I loved Arthur Treacher's (which was there prior). I miss them. You can find them every now and again. They're still popular where I used to live in Ohio.

It's ironic, but we were coming back from Canton yesterday and passed another former Big Wrangler out on Lycoming Creek Rd. It's being used as a church, of all things (check the street view to see a relatively unchanged BW facade):
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lycom...ed=0CB8Q8gEwAA

I asked my husband about the Montoursville location (that's now a car lot). He said it was called "Family A-Fare". He'll never forget it because he used to work for a company that was headquartered in Williamsport and they had a meeting there. A whole bunch of them got chicken off the bar that wasn't cooked enough. He saw it right away, but a few of the others got very sick. They gave everyone there free coupons to come back. He never did. What would be the motivation?

Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I asked my husband about the Montoursville location (that's now a car lot). He said it was called "Family A-Fare". He'll never forget it because he used to work for a company that was headquartered in Williamsport and they had a meeting there. A whole bunch of them got chicken off the bar that wasn't cooked enough. He saw it right away, but a few of the others got very sick. They gave everyone there free coupons to come back. He never did. What would be the motivation?
I remember the name now that you mention it. I had also heard about people getting sick from their food. I had some catered food from there at an outside location one time and it was good an no one got sick, but I think the word of mouth finally shut them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania