Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky-Rat View Post
Kinney Shoes was where Aaron's Leasing is now.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ei2Ik5quiI...on+il+1976.jpg

The old elementary school was torn down for Pep Boys, later Super Petz. Weis owned Super Petz and without warning, closed the whole chain down in several states.

Thanks for the reminder on the old Acorn Motel. I bought a car there eons ago. I think it was called Autos Plus. It was a 1987 Dodge Shadow. Good car, but the paint peeled on it. Had it for a number of years. Sold it to someone who stripped it, repainted it, and used it for many more.

I remember Twisters, but we never had good luck there. Either bad food or bad service. We finally gave up. I loved Arthur Treacher's (which was there prior). I miss them. You can find them every now and again. They're still popular where I used to live in Ohio.

It's ironic, but we were coming back from Canton yesterday and passed another former Big Wrangler out on Lycoming Creek Rd. It's being used as a church, of all things (check the street view to see a relatively unchanged BW facade):
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=lycom...ed=0CB8Q8gEwAA

I asked my husband about the Montoursville location (that's now a car lot). He said it was called "Family A-Fare". He'll never forget it because he used to work for a company that was headquartered in Williamsport and they had a meeting there. A whole bunch of them got chicken off the bar that wasn't cooked enough. He saw it right away, but a few of the others got very sick. They gave everyone there free coupons to come back. He never did. What would be the motivation?

Nice picture, that brings back the memories went in there as a kid often back in the day. I know there was a Kinney in the mall but I don't remember if that was Kinney until the Rag Shop moved in or if it was something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,840 times
In Shamokin Dam there was an elementary school where Hoss's steak House is now located. There was a motel (Starlight Motel?) where Aldi grocery store is located. The Economic Lodge was called Holiday Inn.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,729 times
I was talking to a retired teacher a year or so ago and she said somewhere in Hoss's (maybe she said that front room) there is a picture of the old school and some students and/or teachers. I never remember to look for it when I'm there.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl80 View Post
In Shamokin Dam there was an elementary school where Hoss's steak House is now located. There was a motel (Starlight Motel?) where Aldi grocery store is located. The Economic Lodge was called Holiday Inn.
It wasn't where Hoss's is that was a baseball field as was much of their parking lot, the school was next to the Church that still stands off of the Old Trail. The land also was lower than the highway back then, they backfilled it and raised it up to be closer to the level of the highway. I use to play baseball there when I was a kid.

The hotel that was where Aldi is now, was called "Susquehanna Motel", it might have been something else toward the end of it's run, but I do not recall if it was?

Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 17,752 times
There was a steak house behind the laundromat at 4th & Line Streets in Sunbury back in the late 80s-early 90s. Used to go there when our daughters were small. Think it was Big Wrangler. Department of Environmental Protection and an optometrist have offices in the building now.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:02 PM

I believe that Shooter's Paradise was a little further south than Roy's/Tom's Speed Shop and across the highway. The current off-ramp from the bridge connects with 11-15 about where Shooter's was located.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:20 PM

Town & Country in Shamokin Dam, PA. Now Tractor Supply. When I was a kid, the store was on N.4th St. in Sunbury, where Expert Tire is now located. And right next door, Sunbury Motors (Ford) is in the building formerly occupied by Shoemaker Chevrolet (which became H.C. Boyer Chevrolet out on Rt. 890, which became Performance Chevrolet, which went out of business). Building is now a trade school.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:27 PM

40 posts, read 101,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richreitz View Post
There was a steak house behind the laundromat at 4th & Line Streets in Sunbury back in the late 80s-early 90s. Used to go there when our daughters were small. Think it was Big Wrangler. Department of Environmental Protection and an optometrist have offices in the building now.
Yes, that was Big Wrangler. I drove past another former location on the way to Tamaqua a few months ago. They're kind-of hard to miss.

I remember the Susquehanna Motel. Right before they closed we put my in-laws up there for the night so they wouldn't have to drive back to Allentown in the snow. There was no heat. They said it was horrible.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:30 PM

40 posts, read 101,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I was talking to a retired teacher a year or so ago and she said somewhere in Hoss's (maybe she said that front room) there is a picture of the old school and some students and/or teachers. I never remember to look for it when I'm there.
It used to be near the door to go out, but it may have moved. I knew someone in that photo. It has a bunch of kids holding a sign that says the name of the school and the years it was open. It's a neat photo.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,492 times
Does anyone have any pics of the old Shell Diner on RTS 11 & 15 in Selingsgrove? My great uncle and aunt (Warren and Stella Townsend ) owned it for many years in the 50s and 60s, and we lost any old pics in a flood years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania