Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:41 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
ScrantonWilkesBarre,
Thanks for sticking up for me.

Mechtm84,
The best way to convince people of something is to give specific examples and cite your sources, as you suggested. Before I replied about the unemployment issue I looked it up because I really didn't know what the unemployment rate was, that's not really an opinion, just numbers. http://www.state.pa.us/papower/cwp/view.asp?Q=463298&A=11 (broken link)
And personally I only know of one person that is unemployed, well, two if you count my son who is home from college and looking for an entry level job.

My husband is an employed engineer and has never been unemployed since the age of 15. I'm also employed and we are able to support our family of 5, including college for the two oldest ones - youngest is in middle school. See, personal stories, not everything stinks and no one can get a job, etc.

I truely do not understand why you are so angry about everything and just plain mean. My impression, is that you are a young man in your early twenties that has made a bad decision about where to live and for financial reasons cannot get out of that situation until July. For some reason you need to blame someone and you've decided to be angry about everything. I'm not mad at you or anyone else. I've got my health, my family, good friends, nice job and a friendly pretty town to live in. I hope you find the same wherever you go. Sorry about any spelling errors, I didn't go to school in Pennsylvania!
LOLx10...even though I've "lost" a rep point, voicing my opinion, I am STILL with you on this....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 07:18 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,014 times
Hey moving back to Pa, did you once live in PSL fla? As I stated on previous posts, hubby and I want to relo to either SC, NC Fla, or PA, would like to know what you thought of PSL. Good schools are the biggest priority, Thanks and I love PA also.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:51 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Hey moving back to Pa, did you once live in PSL fla? As I stated on previous posts, hubby and I want to relo to either SC, NC Fla, or PA, would like to know what you thought of PSL. Good schools are the biggest priority, Thanks and I love PA also.
Hi there
Yes, lived in PSL for 4 years, and just came back here to PA on May 6th. It was nice until the 2 hurricanes struck us, head on!
After that, all hell broke lose....
Now the area down there is flooded with homes, and you will get a bargain on a home with EVERYTHING, just so they can get rid of it. Go onto realtor.com and see for yourself. But, here is the thing...
IF you are able to get HOI (you may get a new policy down there, you may NOT), you will pay BIG BUCKS to have it. Now now they are in the hurricane season again. And, one more hit in FL, and you will see dramatic pictures, and total chaos......
Also the taxes......they have big issues how to asess the taxes, and haven't really figured that out yet (as far as I know).
So, all in all, you get a cheap beautiful home, but have to work to death to support and keep it.(That's the reason we had to leave...either that, or foreclosure!)
Also, well, the schools there are not bad, but a bit behind. (I've seen it happened twice!) We moved there from PA, and my son went to school to find out that he had the same material some time ago. It happened again for the second time, this time with my stepson. He moved down from NC, and found out the same thing. I guess the schools rated better down there this year, since they build yet another high school,and took some pressure off. But, what I didn't like is the fact that they don't have "school districts" per say. They send your child to whatever school THEY tell you. I mean, you can try to have an input in it, but, if there is no room available, they will put your kids on a waiting list, and send them to the other school. I didn't care for that "set-up" at all. My concerns were, when my kids went to school there, the gangfights and drug related incidents there every day.
I just hated that.......
Also, my stepson graduated with honors, and my son had to repeat 10th grade. He has ADHT, and they are not really offering special ed concerning students suffering fromt hat, and need a one on one class. In PA they do! (They do put that into the cat. special ed, because it IS a sickness a child can't help)
Well, some people will argue, about the notion of the gang fights and all the drugs and such. And, of course will say something to the effect that this happends at other schools as well. Well, maybe I'm nuts, but, THAT didn't happen in the Drums/ PA school my son went to, it didn't happen in the Iredell/ NC HS my stepson went to, and it doesn't happen at the Dunmore/ PA HS my son is attending right now. So, go figure.....
But, you have to do research and make up your own mind. Just because something doesn't or didn't suit me, doesn't mean it won't be fine for you and what you are looking for!
Good luck!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,014 times
Thank you for the info, I need to be careful wher I go, because my oldest daughter has down's syndrome. It is funny when i phoned schools in NC regarding her situation they were very evasive about what they had for her. I also do not like the fact that they do not have districts for the schools either. When i sent her IEP to PA they were like of course we have a class for her, like I was the naive one!!!! I know about the insurance problems in Fla because my Uncle who is in the insurance business cannot get anyone to write him!!!!!!Thank you for your responses they are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:12 PM

11 posts, read 30,924 times
Default Moving to Dallas, PA from Middle Village, Queens, NY

Hi, my husband and I are looking to move from Queens, NY [Middle Village], to the Dallas area of PA. His cousin is a ret NYPD and loves it there. My husband is on disability and has an income coming in by I have my concern as far as jobs go. I have been working as a legal secretary for 20 years. I would like any information on the salary equivalents and if you know of any leads it would be great too. Thanks in advance for all your input. Pam

Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Pamela, You might want to start a new thread with Dallas in the title.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:13 PM

11 posts, read 30,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Pamela, You might want to start a new thread with Dallas in the title.
Thanks, I took your advice and hopefully I will get responses. Enjoy the upcoming Memorial Day weekend!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 AM

347 posts, read 1,149,727 times
[quote=Hopes;501370]Are you planning to commute?

I don't consider Scranton, Sayre, or Williamsport midsized cities. They are more like large towns.
quote]

Scranton is very much a city. Williamsport, I would agree, it isn't really.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 PM

45 posts, read 127,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Yeah, but if you do wanna move here, make sure you don't let anybody know that you're from NY. People here are not friendly to begin with, but once you tell them that, get ready for the nastiest attitude ever known. Slow pace? You got that right, divide the speed limit by 2 and that is the actual speed people go. Haven't you considered another state besides PA?

People in PA are no worse than other Northeastern state. Hater
Yeah we are real backwoods here in the Philly suburbs.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:09 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
Hey: We are looking forward to moving to Pennsylvania. real soon from Queens, New York.A mid size town or city that is slower paced than what we are used to but not to slow....Also good hospitals and schools needed...Perhaps Scranton or Sayre or Wiliamsport...(input appreciated). WE are real easy going people that get along with all types of people no matter what their race and religion is, as long as they dont discriminate against us...would not mine living in a historic town, i think the old buildings and antique houses are some , of those things in my opinion that help define what makes America special...Not opposed to a place with newer construction either....would like to avoid neighborhoods that have people that dont care about their streets and make them dirty, and high crime areas.Neighborhoods with immigrants that speak english(or learning English) and are contributing in a positive way(and friendly) I can easily live next door to..for the ones that dont want to take the time to learn our native language and act like its another country, I would rather avoid, we have enough of this back in NYC....THANKS FOR YOUR TIME and HELP!!!!!!

I haven't moved yet. . but i did find a rental in Lehighton PA that is 30 miles from Allentown/ Bethlehem area.. can you believe 4 BR 2 1/2bth on 2 acres surrounded by 160 acres of farm for $800/month!!! Soooo looking forward to the lower cost of living!!!

I can't tell yo how we like it yet, as we haven't moved.. but if you pick that area send me a DM !

BTW. i'm 1/2 hour from blue mountain ski resort (I think it's called that) and 3 miles from Jim Thorpe and some white water rafting! Awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania