U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:39 PM

99 posts, read 287,135 times

Advertisements

Hey: We are looking forward to moving to Pennsylvania. real soon from Queens, New York.A mid size town or city that is slower paced than what we are used to but not to slow....Also good hospitals and schools needed...Perhaps Scranton or Sayre or Wiliamsport...(input appreciated). WE are real easy going people that get along with all types of people no matter what their race and religion is, as long as they dont discriminate against us...would not mine living in a historic town, i think the old buildings and antique houses are some , of those things in my opinion that help define what makes America special...Not opposed to a place with newer construction either....would like to avoid neighborhoods that have people that dont care about their streets and make them dirty, and high crime areas.Neighborhoods with immigrants that speak english(or learning English) and are contributing in a positive way(and friendly) I can easily live next door to..for the ones that dont want to take the time to learn our native language and act like its another country, I would rather avoid, we have enough of this back in NYC....THANKS FOR YOUR TIME and HELP!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 09:24 PM

31,438 posts, read 70,449,903 times
Scranton or Wilkes-Barre would most definitely fit the bill, as they are both "mid-sized" cities (pop. 70,000 and 40,000 respectively) with a slower pace than the NYC rat race. Williamsport and Hazleton, both of which are roughly at 30,000 residents, may also seem like good fits, but both cities have been enduring crime issues in recent years that make in-town living unattractive (although nearby small towns and suburbs are still desirable). I'm puzzled at why you mentioned Sayre, as the town and its surrounding townships comprise perhaps just under 10,000 residents---certainly far from being a "mid-sized city."

Here's my take on both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre:

Scranton: For the past several decades on up through the late-1990s, the "Electric City" was in a deep decline. The downtown was boarded-up, crime issues plagued certain neighborhoods of South Side and the Hill Section, urban sprawl was ruling supreme, and most city residents had no civic pride. To most, Scranton was just another Rust Belt Tragedy that needed to face a wrecking ball to succeed.

Today, the city is definitely on a "cosmetic" rebound, but underlying issues remain that may jeopardize this recent renaissance of sorts. Currently, there are severe political issues occurring between city council members and residents themselves, which has basically divided council amongst the "Doherty Henchmen" (those loyal to the charismatic yet overspending mayor), and those "Voices of the People" (opposed to the mayor). There are several popular political message boards online concerning the city, one of which (Doherty Deceit) has caused a recent ruckus in town, in which council president Judy Gatelli canceled last week's meeting due to perceived threats and ordered that the weekly meetings no longer be televised on local Channel 61. Basically, the city is in DEEP political doo-doo right now, partly because the city council doesn't take residents' concerns to heart, and partly because most residents are incapable of approaching the podium in a lucid, calm, respectful manner. Thanks to Mayor Doherty's overspending, the city is also roughly $300,000,000 in debt, which is another threat to the city's ongoing revival.

If you were to totally turn a blind eye to the bumbling idiots at the political helm, then Scranton is a very liveable city. Unfortunately, most on this forum who live in and around the city think that there is no conceivable way for the city to rebound unless the mayor and council are shot into the center of the sun. However, I tend to think that positive changes CAN be accomplished from residents themselves even with inept political leadership looming above them. Overall, crime is quite low; there has not been a single homicide in all of Lackawanna County in nearly two years. Most of the city's schools are rated above-average by city residents. Historic architecture abounds. The downtown, while largely being helped by temporary tax-free assistance to new entrepreneurs, is seeing major retail/entertainment growth. The city is the setting for NBC's "The Office," as well as a new film office, both of which have people talking about the city again. According to recent census estimates, Lackawanna County is also showing population growth for the first time in many decades, indicating that less people are moving away and more people are moving in. Scranton is also a very walkable city; most neighborhoods have sidewalks and are within a mile or two of downtown-area businesses.

Wilkes-Barre: Wilkes-Barre has roughly 30,000 fewer residents than Scranton, yet its crime rate is much higher. Until the Diamond City manages to get its crime rate under control (which is very high by local standards but in line with the national average for a city of its size), urban sprawl will continue to rule supreme. Unlike Scranton, Wilkes-Barre is not in dire financial straits, nor is its political leadership the topic of angst and disgust due to perceived corruption. There are many exciting projects currently underway in the downtown area that have me gleaming with delight as a pro-urban renewal college student in the city whose father works a block away.

For example, the old Hotel Sterling building is being transformed into something magical. The old, unappealing tower has recently been razed to the ground, and the historically-significant corner edifice is being lovingly-restored to house condos, class-A office space, and ground-level retail boutiques. Just across the street, work is well underway on the "RiverWalk" project. Plans here call for continued beautification of the river commons, the creation of two large portals in the levee wall that will link River Street to a new River Walk with recreation, as well as the "calming" of busy River Street, with a median tree lawn. Across town, the old industrial Murray Complex will soon be transformed into a mixed-use project of lofts apartments, restaurants, and stores. A new intermodal transportation center and visitors' center are also planned for the Market Street Square area. New historic-themed streetlights are being installed throughout the central business district. The new "Diamond City Entertainment District" was formed back in 2006, and is now home to Wilkes-Barre Cinema 14, Bart & Urby's Pub, FUSE Martini Club, Club Mardi Gras, Campus Square Billiards, Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, and the historic F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts all within a two-block area of South Main Street between Public Square and East Northampton Street. King's College, Wilkes University, and a satellite campus of Luzerne County Community College all combine to infuse 5,000+ students into the downtown, and each college has plans to continue to invest in the city's ongoing renewal. I'd actually consider living in Wilkes-Barre myself if the crime issues are brought under control (seeing a body being taken out of a home on the King's College campus a few weeks ago as I walked to class really upset me).

If you have any further inquiries about either city, please feel free to ask!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 PM

Dude, as i said on the other thread, THANKS!! You have been quite helpful, and Im sure Im gonna take you up on the offer for additional help in the near future...One thing I wanted to answer was you mentioned being puzzled by my interest in Sayre...while it is smaller than what we are typically aiming for, I heard that it does have some nice well kept older homes and a decent shopping area,more upty up than the average small town am i wrong? Im going by pictures and words, (unlike Scranton that I have visited I actually never have been to Sayre..)plus Its pretty close to Scranton and Tioga county NY which i know is a good area, and Binghamton where there is work!!!! Let me know you views.THANKS again.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:49 AM

43,012 posts, read 98,219,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
Hey: We are looking forward to moving to Pennsylvania. real soon from Queens, New York.A mid size town or city that is slower paced than what we are used to but not to slow....Also good hospitals and schools needed...Perhaps Scranton or Sayre or Wiliamsport...(input appreciated).
Are you planning to commute?

I don't consider Scranton, Sayre, or Williamsport midsized cities. They are more like large towns.

You're coming from huge metropolitian area. You're going to have culture shock. You're going from a huge city to small town USA. When I moved from Pittsburgh (which is a mid-sized city) to Harrisburg, it took me a very long time to adjust. In downtown Harrisburg, restaurants closed down between lunch time and dinner---some not reopening for dinner even. For entertainment, people attended high school football and basketball games---even if they didn't know any of the children paying. The news is all about farming and state politics. Just coming from a midsized city, the last thing I was interested in hearing was farming.

Don't get me wrong, I ended up liking it! LOL Socializing was very laid back. Doing small things like going to see a high school football game with a bunch of people was fun. It was more about hanging out with friends and neighbors than what you actually went to do. I'm just warning you that you're going to be in for huge culture shock if you move to the areas you're considering. Expect it to take 6 months to a year before you feel comfortable with your new lifestyle.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:50 PM

934 posts, read 2,679,448 times
You will love the Scranton area. There are so many nice little towns off Rt. 6 near Scranton. There is Clarks Summit that is very upscale and still has the old charm of yesteryear. There's Factoryville, Dalton, Tunkhannock, Meshoppen, to name a few nice towns.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM

2,833 posts, read 10,075,124 times
Wher in Queens are you moving from? I grew up in Maspeth and I have heard and read on the NY forum that it has really changed. I can see why people such as yourself, who takes pride in your property and your community, would be dissappointed with the ways things have changed there.
I live about 30 miles away from Scranton, it kind of reminds me of queens 25 yrs. ago in a little more modern way. You will love it!!
Welcome!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:32 PM

QUOTE=I LOVE PA!;503373]Wher in Queens are you moving from? I grew up in Maspeth and I have heard and read on the NY forum that it has really changed. I can see why people such as yourself, who takes pride in

Hey I LOVE PA : WE live in Bayside,have been there for about 10 years(my wife over 30), still a great neighborhood,with a strong community and there is a part of us that would love to stay here (inspite of over mass development) there is just 1 problem we cannot afford a house here unless we hit the lotto, and are foolling ourselves to think otherwise, plus parts are becoming dirty like we have spoken about.. AS far as Maspeth still decent enough to walk through it.. but there has been major changes, overcrowded, getting dirty, and crime is up a lot..if you ever get a chance to visit you woluld be shocked and probably sadened...

Old 03-27-2007, 03:48 PM

2,833 posts, read 10,075,124 times
Yes, shocked and saddened is the impression that I would most likely have.
Bayside was beautiful, the 'upper class' queens! We left L.I. after owning a home there for 10 years, housing skyrocketed right after we sold, figures. But, when we got here, we had a beautiful home, school were way better, utilities and insurance were slashed in half, our quality of life improved greatly. You will be so glad when you move, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it years ago!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:49 PM

HEY HOPES: My wife will be getting a new job hopefully less than 50 miles of where we live...I am self employed and more or less work from the house, with the occasional 2 day a week shuffle to meetings, events, etc. As far as the mid size cities vs the large towns, I think what we meant to say was we are looking for the large towns that are possibly fairly close to a large city....The last thing we want is a place like Phili, (with all due respect to it) otherwise we would stay in New York....as far as the culture shock, I always wondered if we would adjust or go out of our minds!!! When we visit places like these we are only there for a week (and we usually dont want to go back) but im sure its a lot different once you are living there. THANKS!!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
Hey: We are looking forward to moving to Pennsylvania. real soon from Queens, New York.A mid size town or city that is slower paced than what we are used to but not to slow....Also good hospitals and schools needed...Perhaps Scranton or Sayre or Wiliamsport...(input appreciated). WE are real easy going people that get along with all types of people no matter what their race and religion is, as long as they dont discriminate against us...would not mine living in a historic town, i think the old buildings and antique houses are some , of those things in my opinion that help define what makes America special...Not opposed to a place with newer construction either....would like to avoid neighborhoods that have people that dont care about their streets and make them dirty, and high crime areas.Neighborhoods with immigrants that speak english(or learning English) and are contributing in a positive way(and friendly) I can easily live next door to..for the ones that dont want to take the time to learn our native language and act like its another country, I would rather avoid, we have enough of this back in NYC....THANKS FOR YOUR TIME and HELP!!!!!!
hi there. I'm an ex new yorker born and raised in manhattan. moved to lykens,PA about 30 miles from harrisburg. we moved here 5 yrs ago.at first i thought i'd never get used to this quite place . its beautiful and all we see are the mountains. we finally got a walmart. have meet alot of new yorkers that have moved here. we have a local paper online sentinelnow.com. you can check out real estate. williamsport is not far. hope you find something near.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania