Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 29,738 times

Advertisements

Hello.

We need any and all information and advice about Norristown Pennsylvania. We purchased an investment home there over a year ago and are now considering moving from the beautiful upper-middle to upper-class Ahwatukee area of Phoenix Arizona and temporarily living in our home in Norristown while we either find new tenants or sell the house. We figured it would be a way to check out the area while deciding exactly where we want to live. The problem is that Norristown, in areas, seems a bit rundown and downright scary to me! I was not sure if it was only because I am used to a more affluent area or if Norristown is really a scarey place to live. Is it safe there? I am really worried about crime and safety....especially after reading some of the posts on here. We are hoping to only stay in our home for 2-3 months but since we have never lived in it do not know what to expect! Please be honest and tell us all...the good and bad. Don't hold back! Is Norristown really that bad?

We are a young couple w/ no children and 2 dogs! Our house has a small backyard but I am a bit worried about our dogs barking at noises coming from the neighbors since the house is a rowhome and we currently live in a single.

Also, what about parking? We would have to park on the street anyone have any experiences or advice about this? I am concerned about walking in from my car at night. Am I being ridiculous?

I love Pennsylvania from what I have seen of it. I think it is absolutely beautiful w/ some of the most beautiful historical buildings. I am very excited to move here but scared to live in Norristown where I see people loitering all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 PM

179 posts, read 1,067,011 times
well there are some seedy parts to norristown and I wouldn't advise anyone to make it their permanent home. But if your there for only 2-3 months you should be fine. The dogs will give you extra security and street parking should be fine. Doubt you'll have any problems during your short stay. Would have a better idea if you posted or emailed me the address.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 9,350 times
Default No Way

As a young, married person who sounds like they have a similar background, I would seriously advise against moving to Norristown. Most parts of Norristown are truly run-down. The crime and drug problems are horrible. I would not feel comfortable walking from my car at night and if my husband worked late, I would definitely be uncomfortable there by myself even though I also have a dog. It is not a safe area and you will regret it. Sorry to be so blatant but please take my advice. Do whatever you need to do to with your investment property but live somewhere else. You might want to check places outside of Norristown like Blue Bell, Plymouth Meeting, Gulph Mills, King of Prussia, Whitemarsh, Lafayette Hill, Chestnut Hill (Philadelphia), etc. They are not too far and they are much nicer areas, but of course, they are more expensive too. Pennsylvania is beautiful if you're in the right place! Good luck!

Old 03-28-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Address info

Oh Sorry I did not put the exact area in the original post. The house is in the 700 block of Lafayette St. on the western side of Norristown. The zip is 19401.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,694 times
Norristown is largely a dump. The only reason to be there is the proximity to other suburban areas and Center City Philly. You are better off selling the property and moving elswewhere.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:01 PM

We are in the process of selling the home we live in now in Arizona and were just planning on moving to PA in time for husband to take the PA Bar. Classes start in June and the Bar is in July. It would be more convenient to just move into our home there and look for something else to move into once he takes the Bar. It was never going to be permanent. Just 2-3 months.We thought that would give us time to check out nearby areas and decide where we would like to move permanently. Most likely w/ selling home out here and tying things up we probably will not have time to get to PA beforehand to look at any homes. We were planning on moving around the second week of May. This is why we were considering staying in Norristown...due to the timing and convenience factor since we already own a home there and it is vacant at the moment. We are both ok w/ the area being more rundown for a short while just not high crime. It is a very convenient location geographically speaking. I thought I should come on here and explain situation a little more.

Thanks again for any input and please keep it coming!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:57 PM

33 posts, read 209,847 times
My husband taught in Norristown, although I am not familiar with the address of your property. I can tell you that there are parts of Norristown that are scary just to drive through... very slummy. I wouldn't live there for any length of time if that is the area your house is... especially with kids. You'd be better of staying in a hotel if you can afford it. There are areas in Norristown that are not as bad, so it just depends. You'll know if you are in a bad section when you get there... just keep on driving if it doesn't feel safe.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:51 PM

78 posts, read 376,123 times
Since you purchased the house...you realize that you get what you pay for! The area you purchased in Norristown is nothing like the area you come from in Arizona. Norristown has its ups and downs but lets not forget it is the county seat. This may fit in well with your husband's bar study. You could easily rent a place for you and the dogs in a more desirable area but why rent when you already own.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:29 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Out of a metro of 6 million people unfortunately Norristown is one of the 5 or 6 places to avoid.

I don't think anyone would give you the thumbs up on Norristown. Its not inner city North Philly, complete implosion, end of the earth type environment. However its probably bad enough that no one wants to put their stamp of approval on it just in case that particular neighborhood is dangerous.

Best to come on up, see the house, the street, the neighborhood in person and make a decision if you want to stay there or in a hotel or apartment. There are plenty of moderate type hotel chains in the area, King of Prussia,Conshohocken,Plymouth Meeting etc.

Good luck

Old 03-30-2007, 02:01 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
I've lived in Norristown for almost two years, and bought a twin house there because it was more affordable and had a bigger yard for the money than any other neighborhood within a 20-mile radius (row houses make me claustrophobic!).

Unfortunately parts of Norristown are downright depressing. There is a lot of substandard, crowded housing, and more than its share of quality-of-life crimes, which the cops are trying to crack down on but are having limited success, just because the job is so monumental. But there's also a commercial revival of sorts on West Marshall Street, a riverfront walking/biking trail, a small zoo, an inexpensive produce market, and Mexican food to die for.

I'm not too familiar with West Lafayette Street -- I live in the North End and have driven through that area maybe once or twice -- but it's not the best part of town, and it's far from the worst. Parking just about anywhere in Norristown is a PITA because there is so little off-street parking. You'll probably feel a little cramped if you're used to living in a single home vs. a row house. But if you're planning to stay there only 2 or 3 months, I'd say go ahead and stay there and get a feel for the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania