Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:58 PM

10 posts, read 36,826 times

Advertisements

Which Lancaster County towns are most conservative? Appreciate any input
from the residents of Lancaster County Pa. Please Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 06:06 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,076 times
They are all very conservative.
Anything in particular you want to know ?

Old 03-29-2007, 06:50 PM

164 posts, read 200,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymover View Post
Which Lancaster County towns are most conservative? Appreciate any input
from the residents of Lancaster County Pa. Please Help!!

Lancaster is full of neo-nazis im sure youll love it there if ur into that kinda thing.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:06 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Lancaster is full of neo-nazis im sure youll love it there if ur into that kinda thing.

I'd hardly call the Amish neo-nazis.

Seriously though, Lancaster generally has a conservative tilt -- most of which can be attributed to the Amish, who are notably conservative people -- but I would hardly confuse Lancaster with Alabama. Nevertheless, the demographics of the county have changed, especially within the last few years. This has ushered in a number of people moving from more liberal areas of PA and the rest of the Northeast. Getting back to the question, if you're asking as to avoid such a place, I don't think you're going to have a problem.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 PM

33 posts, read 209,868 times
The whole area is generally conservative with the exception of the city. I feel that the rest of the county is pretty conservative, although some areas are becoming more populated with out of towners, so that is likely mixing things up in some communities.

Are you looking to avoid such an area or is conservative what you're looking for?

I don't know of any neo-nazis here, so I believe that statement was meant to be facetious.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:35 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,846 times
Default Neo-Nazis?

Ha Ha what made that person say Neo Nazis? When i was in Lancaster County this past October i drove all over the county and didnt see any of that at all.

I also heard the same that Lancaster County is very conservative for the most part.

I personnaly liked the county very much, i just hope the new comers treat Lancaster with care.

And they should not get rid of to much farmland and sell out to home buliders.

The only thing i keep wondering about is the job growth. On the site Wikipedia if you search Lancaster, that site makes Lancaster sound like it has some serious employment problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGsinger View Post
The whole area is generally conservative with the exception of the city. I feel that the rest of the county is pretty conservative, although some areas are becoming more populated with out of towners, so that is likely mixing things up in some communities.

Are you looking to avoid such an area or is conservative what you're looking for?

I don't know of any neo-nazis here, so I believe that statement was meant to be facetious.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:00 PM

33 posts, read 209,868 times
Did you miss this part (from Wikipedia)?

"Outside the city, however, employment has increased 18% by adding 34,900 jobs between the years 1999 and 2002."

I do not hear anyone I know complain about unemployment. You may have to commute for a higher paying job, depending on what your field is.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:01 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,438 times
I know that trying to get a teaching position, especially at the high school level, can be a challenge. My wife tried after we got here in 2003 and ended up in Berks County before finding her current position in Middletown, which is a 30 mile trip. But like BBG said, you may have to travel a good distance to work, depending on your field. It's a rural area, and manufacturerers and white-collar jobs aren't just around the corner. However, most of the highways around here are in very good condition and most times traffic flows with little issue, although Route 501 can be rough on the nerves during rush hours. A growing group of commuters are taking the train to Philly to work and have found the experience to be a pleasure. Small companies are growing rapidly here. However, like the rest of the country, some of the larger companies are seeking cost-cutting measures and moving some of their operations overseas. Hershey, which is in Dauphin County, is building a new plant in Mexico, and, so far, taking 300 jobs with them.

Yes, most towns are conservative out here, but that's okay with me. Some towns have no bars in them. Few stores sell adult magazines. I don't know of any neo-nazis or any kind of a hate organization in the county.

Last edited by lititzman2003; 03-31-2007 at 06:13 PM..

Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
Default great post

Great post!

But its sad to see and hear so many jobs being sent out of the US for cheap labor.

I tried looking on google for major companys in Lancaster but its wasnt to much help, could someone please name a bunch of the major known companys in Lancaster County?

Also to get back on subject, thats so great to hear what you said that some towns have no bars and about the lack of adult magazines. Thats very good. because again here in Las Vegas and Arizona there are bars " everywhere" some back up to neighborhoods with little children. And adult magaizines are sold at any store you name.

Happy to hear that info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I know that trying to get a teaching position, especially at the high school level, can be a challenge. My wife tried after we got here in 2003 and ended up in Berks County before finding her current position in Middletown, which is a 30 mile trip. But like BBG said, you may have to travel a good distance to work, depending on your field. It's a rural area, and manufacturerers and white-collar jobs aren't just around the corner. However, most of the highways around here are in very good condition and most times traffic flows with little issue, although Route 501 can be rough on the nerves during rush hours. A growing group of commuters are taking the train to Philly to work and have found the experience to be a pleasure. Small companies are growing rapidly here. However, like the rest of the country, some of the larger companies are seeking cost-cutting measures and moving some of their operations overseas. Hershey, which is in Dauphin County, is building a new plant in Mexico, and, so far, taking 300 jobs with them.

Yes, most towns are conservative out here, but that's okay with me. Some towns have no bars in them. Few stores sell adult magazines. I don't know of any neo-nazis or any kind of a hate organization in the county.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,438 times
Default Companies in Lancaster County

I think Armstrong and RR Donnelly have their headquarters here, although Armstrong has been cutting their workforce over the years. Also NTN, Johnson and Johnson(formally Pfizer), Woodstream, High Foods and Wilbur Chocolates come to mind. I'll give it some more thought and add what I can in another post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania