Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 02:57 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times

Advertisements

So, I'm reading the news this morning and I come upon an outline for high-speed rail. Yahoo, for you PA., it seems your included.
I sure hope this is not in the framework of the quarter century we've been awaiting already.

There is 10 passenger rail corridors for possible high-speed rail projects. Funding is to come from the $8 billion allocated in the economic stimulus package.

Although from the map source of the Dept. of Transportation, (Amtrak) it sure looks to be "lower" PA that will get this route.
Not the NEPA area that has been awaiting its arrival, or some sort of.....for more then a quarter century.

Lines covered are in TX, Ca.,Fl, The Pacific NW, the Midwest, the Gulf Coast, the SE, and Northern New England, PA.,and New York.

Obama called this " the most sweeping investment in our infrastructure since President Eisenhower built the Interstate Highway in the 1950's"

The only rail service that meets the Federal Railroad Administrations 110 mph threshold to qualify as high-speed rail is Amtraks 9 year old Acela Express route connecting Boston to Washinton, D.C.

So USA is following the trails others have developed . The Spanish can travel 150 mph from Madrid to Barcelona. Japan links its cities at speeds of 180mph. France TGV train travels 133 mph ...from Paris to Lyon. What took us so long to progress? Lets get on with it....
Congress should not reduce this support for Amtrak. Its time. Its long overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:10 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,909 times
In fact french TGV travels at 200 mph on newest lines.
Between Lyon and Paris (oldest line) it runs at 168 mph.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:04 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,191,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
In fact french TGV travels at 200 mph on newest lines.
Between Lyon and Paris (oldest line) it runs at 168 mph.
You are so correct (grump).
Part of the problem is the medieval regulations of the Federal Railroad Administration.
Part of the problem is the emphasis on slow, heavy freight.
Part of the problem is the tax structure that penalizes private railroads, while subsidizing common carriers on highways.

And 8 billion is a boondoggle, to be spent on "studies" and other "useless" wheel spinning.

Assuming $20 million / mile track costs for high speed corridors, 8 billion would fund 400 miles of track (not including rolling stock).

Underwhelming, isn't it?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
It's a boon doggle big time.

I followed closely in Colorado the attempt to put a high speed rail up to the ski resorts from Denver and the price tag was mind blowing not to mention all the hassle.

I'm not against high speed rail if it can be done effectively and the cost is reasonable. Right now it's just easier to take a plane.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,760 times
What amazes me is that the technology for mag-lev high speed trains was developed by the US ... only to be embraced and incorporated by foreign countrys... just like VCR technology. We (bureaucrats) are our own worst enemy.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:23 PM

200 posts, read 619,955 times
High speed rail is worthless. So what if the train can get up to 100 mph? It still has to stop every two miles! Look at the schedule of the Amtrak Acela express high speed train between Philly and Boston. The high speed Acela saves 35 minutes off the trip. Millions of tax dollars spent (and much higher ticked prices) to save a lousy 35 minutes. The high speed Acela still takes over 5 hours. I can drive there just as fast- at 65 mph- because I don't have to stop all the time. And if I really want high speed, I can fly.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:15 AM

416 posts, read 712,617 times
First: The PA component of the project is primarily the Keystone line which is already being rebuilt using state funds.

Second, Acela is not a true high speed train, only high speed by American standards. Heck, the PRR ran trains from PHL to NYC at 100 miles an hour in 1930. The reason we can't do better is that our rail infrastructure is so old and neglected due to poorly thought-out pro-car government policies. Spending some money on rail now is just the first step in a long process to bring our transportation system up to modern standards.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times
I can understand Harrisburg to Philly, but I doubt it will make too much of a dent in Pittsburgh to Philly flight market.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times
It sounds good and people would use it, but yeah, it would never turn a profit and would be a money pit. But compared to what other things the administration is pissing money away on, at least we'd have something concrete to show for what was spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania