Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times

Advertisements

Some people seem to attract bad attitudes for some reason. It's the definition of asinine to blame it on an entire state, but don't let me get in the way of your BS.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:16 PM

22 posts, read 86,807 times
To me, Pennsylvania is the uitimate "Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." type of place.

The state's best days were in the 1970's. This state has mostly sucked since then. As I mentioned before, this state, in many ways, hasn't moved on since the days of the steel mills.

Plus, the tendency of most PA residents to isolate themselves in one little part of the world contributes largely to this states issues. Many PA residents tend to stay there all their lives for generations, and thus that contributes to the "love it or leave it" mentality. They think that they actually "own" PA, and it is "theirs". Transplants are often ostracized simply because they haven't lived there forever.

Pennsylvania is stuck in a 1970's time warp, and it's a glorified third world country.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:33 PM

88 posts, read 270,702 times
I've been here and there and nothing feels like "home" as PA does to me. Keep in mind, I live in remote northern PA. Seems everything is in balance here to me. Not too liberal, nor neo-conservative. About as moderate as moderate can get. NY seems awful progressive and self serving to me. That, and their taxes are rediculous. Down south, it is more strick conservative values. Sorry, I'm not calling anyone sir or mamm. I don't expect to hear it from others either. I figure it is just kind of implied.

Grew up in a small town and have generations in the area. Seen people come and go. If you're new, people will talk to you if you talk to them. I've never seen people who are good people have any trouble fitting in around here.

I mean I can be transplanted to rural Montana and fit in like a glove. Maybe it is a lifestyle, an understanding, or an aura of the rural folk.

Of course moving to any area, especially to an area where everyone knows everyone, people have to understand there is a feeling out period. Around here, neighbors give neighbors house keys for whatever reason. Trust is everything. Eyes are upon you all the time. If you come from a self serving city lifestyle and don't walk your shopping cart back to the cart-park, or you pull out in front of someone just to make your trip 2 seconds faster, people notice.

Taxes are fair. That's all I can say. I can't complain about the school I went to or the roads I drive. That's what I like about PA, look at statistics for any state, and PA usually plants itself dead center for what have you. I make great money with a low standard of living.

Last edited by Str8Arrow; 11-26-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,011 times
Default We live in fear!

Well I cant say I like it very much. I have been insulted by people with confed plates on their car and once in a cracker barrel two dirty looking HUNTERS intimitaded my mother by saying...SPEAK ENGLISH SPECK.

Im 100% born in the US. My Dad served in 'Nam and my mother has been a US citizen since the 60's, hell she went to Woodstock!

The scene is beautiful. But, in regards of culture....omg

Old 07-05-2010, 12:02 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latininpa View Post
well i cant say i like it very much. I have been insulted by people with confed plates on their car and once in a cracker barrel two dirty looking hunters intimitaded my mother by saying...speak english speck.

Im 100% born in the us. My dad served in 'nam and my mother has been a us citizen since the 60's, hell she went to woodstock!

The scene is beautiful. But, in regards of culture....omg
2/12,600,000 = 0.000000158%

Old 07-05-2010, 02:57 PM

483 posts, read 555,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEPA!!! View Post
To me, Pennsylvania is the uitimate "Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there." type of place.

The state's best days were in the 1970's. This state has mostly sucked since then. As I mentioned before, this state, in many ways, hasn't moved on since the days of the steel mills.

Plus, the tendency of most PA residents to isolate themselves in one little part of the world contributes largely to this states issues. Many PA residents tend to stay there all their lives for generations, and thus that contributes to the "love it or leave it" mentality. They think that they actually "own" PA, and it is "theirs". Transplants are often ostracized simply because they haven't lived there forever.

Pennsylvania is stuck in a 1970's time warp, and it's a glorified third world country.
Very true. Case in point, the liquor control situation. The state stores and their beauracracy know they're in the bulleye. So, what do they do? They make their stores over to look like private businesses. Kind of like a kid who covers his face thinking you can't see him if he can't see you. Only Utah has archaic liquor laws like we do.

I grew up here. But I now live here for 5 or 6 months as a snowbird. I often get road raged here in NEPA just because I have a Florida license plate on my car. Funny thing is a lot of the people who are doing it haven't lived in Pa as long as I have.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
Y'all are posting in a troll thread, topped by a troll.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:03 PM

So the $64,000 question is, if Pennsylvania is so "behind the times" or "stuck in a time warp," then how do we all have internet access? Hell, how do the Steelers have six Lombardi Trophies, for that matter?

Old 07-09-2010, 09:15 AM

70 posts, read 311,221 times
I love PA. I've left several times to pursue career opportunities outside the state, but always end up coming back. I'd rather live here than anywhere else.

With that said, I too, think PA is backwards sometimes. We have some goofy laws that seem archaic (our liquor laws, for one), and far too many small municipal governments who place too little emphasis on public safety (a hot button issue with me). Our school tax system is severely flawed, and despite all the BS spewing from Harrisburg regarding reform, I don't think it will ever change.

One of the biggest issues I see with PA is the so-called "brain drain". We have some excellent universities in this state, but lack the abundance of jobs necessary to retain bright young minds in the state. Much of PA has failed to move on from the coal and steel boom, and it has been detrimental to the state as a whole. Natural gas drilling promises to revitalize much of the state's economy, but it's the same old cycle. 40 years from now, we'll be talking about how the natural gas industry died out, and PA is stuck in that era.

PA needs to recommit itself to economic development, with a focus on technological jobs.

But for my money, there is no beating PA.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoSix View Post
One of the biggest issues I see with PA is the so-called "brain drain". We have some excellent universities in this state, but lack the abundance of jobs necessary to retain bright young minds in the state. Much of PA has failed to move on from the coal and steel boom, and it has been detrimental to the state as a whole. Natural gas drilling promises to revitalize much of the state's economy, but it's the same old cycle. 40 years from now, we'll be talking about how the natural gas industry died out, and PA is stuck in that era.
Pennsylvania imports more college students from other states than any other state except Florida. Of course not all of them will stay. I bet lots of college students leave Florida too.

Furthermore, unlike any of its peer states (Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio), Pennsylvania has seen positive domestic migration in recent years. Hell, between 2008 and 2009, Pittsburgh posted a net gain of college-educated residents that was twice as large as Chicago's. And no, I'm not talking percentages either; I'm talking sheer number. ~+5,000 for Pittsburgh, ~+2,000 for Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania