Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 03:16 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,846,959 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have two questions. Being that me and my husband are animal lovers,
how many dogs can you legally own in Pennsylvania ( for example, in some places you can have 5 dogs max or so ). We maybe wouldn't keep all 5 for example at the time, but it is important for us to have pet - friendly environment. And the second question is is the economy good in Chester county? And how are the prices of the houses there? Thank you very much.

Tijana
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 04:17 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,381 times
It depends on if there is a restrictive convenant in place or a homeowners association document limiting the amount you can have. Here we can have 2 cats and or 2 dogs. But we have given waivers for 3 dogs or a breeding dog that will have puppies for a while before they go to forever homes.
No one really complains unless you let them all out barking at 2 am.

The prices of the homes are much better than in Phila, Delaware and Bucks Counties. You get more bang for your buck in Chester County especially Southern Chester County.
The economy is the same as anywhere else good and bad depends on what you do for a living.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:26 PM

For example, what about engineering? Mechanical engineering...

Old 06-01-2007, 06:40 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,381 times
With Wilmington, Philly, Lancaster and Baltimore all around us I do not see why you could not find a job. Find a headhunter and get your resume polished. My hubby used the Bakos group to polish his resume, they guaranteed it would be gold and it was. He got the first job he applied for with the new resume. If you want to look at what they provide go to

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-08-2009 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: ad cut

Old 06-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks. Can you tell me how to send you a PM?

Old 06-02-2007, 07:16 AM

42 posts, read 177,649 times
When I was still living at home in Bucks County, a neighbor complained about our 4 dogs. They were quite good dogs, not excessively barky, this guy was just a jerk who complained about EVERYTHING. Anyway, someone came to the house to investigate the complaint, luckily just hours after I de-crapped the yard, and said himself the complaint was frivolous. Apparently you can have no more than 2 dogs in that part of Bucks, but it is an unenforced law. I knew someone nearby who had 7 dogs. As long as the dogs are cared for and clean, and the noise doesnt bother any normal neighbors, there isnt a problem.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastra View Post
Hi,
I have two questions. Being that me and my husband are animal lovers,
how many dogs can you legally own in Pennsylvania ( for example, in some places you can have 5 dogs max or so ). We maybe wouldn't keep all 5 for example at the time, but it is important for us to have pet - friendly environment.
Regardless of whatever local laws exist throughout Pennsylvania, there is a Pennsylvania court ruling that overturned a dog limit law.

If you find youself in a predicament, you will have the law on your side if you fight it in court.

Here's reference to the overturning of the law:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.canismajor.com/dog/minnlaw1.html
This is the second court decision striking down pet limit laws. The first took place in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and removed an ordinance that limited residents to five pets. In resolving that case, the judge quoted from Kadash vs City of Williamsport, 1975: “What is not an infringement upon public safety and is not a nuisance cannot be made one by legislative fiat and then prohibited. Even legitimate legislative goals cannot be pursued by means which stifle fundamental personal liberty when the goals can otherwise be more reasonably achieved.”
Of course, you'll have to do some digging to find the actual court rulings, but a lawyer would have no problem finding them for reference if the time ever came you needed to fight a local dog limit law in Pennsylvania.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 27,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy View Post
When I was still living at home in Bucks County, a neighbor complained about our 4 dogs. They were quite good dogs, not excessively barky, this guy was just a jerk who complained about EVERYTHING. Anyway, someone came to the house to investigate the complaint, luckily just hours after I de-crapped the yard, and said himself the complaint was frivolous. Apparently you can have no more than 2 dogs in that part of Bucks, but it is an unenforced law. I knew someone nearby who had 7 dogs. As long as the dogs are cared for and clean, and the noise doesnt bother any normal neighbors, there isnt a problem.
I live in Montgomery County and my neighbor has 2 kids under the age of 5 and another on the way. Her two brats taunt my dogs and tease them, they also throw things at my dogs. I have to go out with them on potty runs now because I'm afraid they will get hurt.

The father also imitates a dog barking to taunt my dog. Because I told the kids not to tease or throw things at my dogs, they called the police. They told the police that my dogs are out at all hours of the night, keeping them from sleeping.

They threatened me with a citation if the neighbor complains again. I told them I wanted to file my own complaint about them trying to harm my dogs and having to pay vet bills because my one dog was so frightened she wouldn't go out in the yard unless I went out there with her.

There is no ordinance about 'barking dogs' here, but there is one about 'excessive noise for extended periods of time. My dogs are not outside dogs. They're never out late at night or out for long periods of time. Thanks to the ignoramuses, they are never out there unsupervised.

I'm tired of being a tax-paying. law-abiding citizen who has to be threatened because I'm a dog owner and people are irresponsible about teaching their kids how to treat animals.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 26,367 times
Do you know if there are any laws against owning a goat as a pet in a residential neighborhood

Old 05-08-2009, 05:37 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
BTW, this thread was started two years ago.

Check with your local township regarding what they allow, do not go by what someone on a bulletin board thinks might be true. Farm animals are usually limited to outside the boroughs and some neighborhoods.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania