Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 AM

22 posts, read 57,496 times

Advertisements

I visited philly last weekend and I really really missed pittsburgh.

What I like about PGH is how it's easy to get around to everywhere, like my current apartment is 5 minutes to the university of pittsburgh and 5 minutes to great grocery stores. Philly seems to be more spread out, more expensive.

but if I did move...well, what's the best analogy to the strip district of pittsburgh in philadelphia?

Also, weather in philly? I might have just been cranky b/c I had to walk/take public transit everywhere, while I'm used to bicycling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 AM

297 posts, read 505,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudpainting View Post
I visited philly last weekend and I really really missed pittsburgh.

What I like about PGH is how it's easy to get around to everywhere, like my current apartment is 5 minutes to the university of pittsburgh and 5 minutes to great grocery stores. Philly seems to be more spread out, more expensive.

but if I did move...well, what's the best analogy to the strip district of pittsburgh in philadelphia?

Also, weather in philly? I might have just been cranky b/c I had to walk/take public transit everywhere, while I'm used to bicycling.
Philadelphia doesn't have anything like the strip district in one place that I know of. However, they do have Reading Terminal Market which is an awesome place to get fresh baked food, just like you'd find at the strip. As for the dance clubs, I'd say South St. South st. is very similar to Carson St. in Pittsburgh. Philadelphia is a lot more expensive than Pittsburgh and it also has a severe crime problem. Live in the city of Philadelphia at your own risk, unless you are wealthy and can live in Center City. But, after dark I'd really suggest taking a taxi or the subway rather than taking your bike or walking. This place isn't like Pittsburgh. It's a much bigger city and the violent crime there is out of control. Years ago I lived in south philly and it was a dump. I can only imagine how much worse things have gotten.

The big thing I hated in Philly was how flat it was. If you're in North Philly, West Philly, or South Philly it all looks the same. I kind of like Pittsburgh with its crazy hills, steps that go on forever, etc. I think Pittsburgh's neighborhoods have a lot more character than Philly's, but that's just my opinion.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
it's bigger and more expensive.
Quote:
if you mean in terms of food, the Italian Market (aka 9th St Market) which runs on 9th St from christian to federal. while no store is as encompassing as pennmac, you can get everything you need from the market as a whole. froma shopping perspective, it's the equal of the strip district if not its superior...claudio's fresh mozz will make you forget about penn mac's.

there is a crime problem but this area is pretty safe. you can walk many, many places even at night. the hilliest part of the city is the NW which is comprised of Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy, and Germantown. Center city is extremely walkable, it's just bigger than pittsburgh's downtown. It is harder to get around driving because there is more traffic.
Quote:
weather is slightly warmer in winter and summer and more sun. mind you, it's not a dramatic difference, just a marginal one. you can walk, bike, or take public transit. if you want to visit, try this place
Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed & Breakfast
which is near the Italian Market

Old 05-21-2009, 04:42 PM

22 posts, read 57,496 times
did visit. stayed in apple hostels. I will admit that my perspective was very likely shaped by the fact that I suck at navigating mass transit and I didn't have a bicycle, so I had to hump everywhere.

So for a lower-middle class person, why would he move to philly as opposed to PGH? PGH seems to be cheaper and more creative, actually. Seems like people in PGH are more entrepeneurial, while the Philly people are more corporate.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Seems like people in PGH are more entrepeneurial, while the Philly people are more corporate.
That's interesting. Do others share that impression as well? Knowing what I know, and not what I've experienced with the two cities, that makes sense.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 PM

37 posts, read 117,671 times
Quote:
So for a lower-middle class person, why would he move to philly as opposed to PGH? PGH seems to be cheaper and more creative, actually. Seems like people in PGH are more entrepeneurial, while the Philly people are more corporate.
Well, only for a job I suppose, but if income were equal one would do better in the Pittsburgh area. Despite the relatively low marks given to the city of Philadelphia on a number of dimensions, the city has a comparatively low housing vacancy rate and that is a major factor keeping the housing prices rather high.

One advantage I could see for Philadelphia is its public transportation system. One could get by there with little use of a car. While not as good as Chicago, it is better than most places. Although I've visited Pittsburgh on numerous occasions, I never took public transportation there so I know nothing about the quality of their system.

In addition to being more expensive, Philly traditionally has had more crime and bad neighborhoods than Pittsburgh. When you're not making much money you have a pretty good chance of being priced out of the better neighborhoods and are closer to the rougher ones.

I visited Pittsburgh's strip a number of times. Philadelphia's comparable places are around the lower numbered blocks of the South Street section of downtown. There are also plenty of clubs, bars, and restaurants scattered in various parts of downtown. University City (U of Penn and Drexel area) have some restaurants and nightlife.

There are some more areas that were not much developed when I lived there. One is in Manayunk (the near northwest side of the city along the Schuylkill River). Another is the Northern Liberties area (north of the lower numbered blocks of downtown along the Delaware River and just south of the Kensington section).

Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 AM

388 posts, read 1,094,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post

The big thing I hated in Philly was how flat it was. If you're in North Philly, West Philly, or South Philly it all looks the same. I kind of like Pittsburgh with its crazy hills, steps that go on forever, etc. I think Pittsburgh's neighborhoods have a lot more character than Philly's, but that's just my opinion.

You should have looked around. East Falls and Manayunk have plenty of hills overlooking the river. The same is true of the lower part of Chestnut Hill over the Wissahickon Creek.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,273 times
I agree Pittsburg probably has a better quality of life. The "crime" problem in Philly is pretty much an urban myth because it is isolated in the ghettos but still it is a very crowded and fast paced city and can be stressful (which some people find stimulating).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania