Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 17,233 times

Advertisements

I have been selling my items with local newspapers and privately owned classified companies. I've been looking for a better place to sell my stuff. Ebay is getting dangerous, and I feel cheated trying to sell things and having to pay per line. I have recently found a new Web site offering what seems to be a pretty decent marketplace, could anybody give me any information on this site and has anyone used it yet? I have signed up for an account but would appreciate a second opinion. The site is www.easypeddler.com

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,669,866 times
I was just starting to think about selling some things on Ebay. What do you mean when you say it's getting dangerous? Thanks for clarifying for me.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:09 PM

I have bought and sold many items on Ebay. It seems that there are too many scammers. e.g. I recently sold a laptop computer on Ebay and someone bought it right away. They told me they'd make payment via Western Union and to ship it immediatly because of somekind of emergency. They told me to pay for the shipping and that they would send me a Western Union confirmation. When I got the confirmation it look legit but further research pointed out that it was a scam email.

Now Ebay claims to do what they can to alleviate this kind of fraud but since they are international there is no way to help everyone. And if you do lose your money its not Ebay that helps you it has to be up to your local magistrate or local authorities which most of the time don't even understand what Ebay is.

Amongst this incident there are many other cases that I have run into and this is just me!!!

This is why I'm looking for something on a smaller scale but yet fair and controlled. I'm tired of newspapers and just looking for something better. I stumbled on easy peddler searching google for Pennsylvania Classifieds and wondered if anyone has ever used it?

Old 04-11-2007, 12:33 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,939,913 times
The PaperShop, out of Dallas in NEPA is fantastic!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,977,995 times
I have to say,we sell on ebay ALOT,and make some pretty money.People will buy pretty much anything! You just never,ever,ship the item until payment is in hand.I feel ebay is a great source for selling.If anything,they have become more cautious and strict and careful about scammers and cheats.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:12 PM

153 posts, read 683,789 times
craigslist.com is free and responses are fast. Covers everywhere.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
The PaperShop, out of Dallas in NEPA is fantastic!
Thanks, I have used Papershop in the past and I agree it is good but its just limited as to what I have control over. Plus I don't really agree with the idea of commissions.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:28 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,669,866 times
Thanks, Clutch. I'm sorry you had a bad experience on eBay. We've sold some old cell phones but nothing more. I have a ton of books that I'd like to get rid of, but not at yardsale prices (50 cents each). I checked out easypeddlar and it seems to be just in the Hazleton area. Where are you located? If not right in that area you may want something that reaches more people.

Many local communities have something called "The Shopper" or some variation of that name. I had forgotten about "The Paper Shop" but we bought and sold many items through them. I agree, though, that there's a commission issue with them.

In our community we have a free weekly newspaper called the "Snyder County Times". There are some classifieds in there. I think they're free or a very small fee. We advertised a motor home once and I can't remember if we had to pay for the ad or not.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:20 AM

23 posts, read 137,597 times
Default eBay or Paper Shop?

I have been buying and selling on eBay since 1998 and have never been scammed. Pay Pal is your friend for a buyer but not so friendly for the seller. The fees are high but in the long run you get a world wide market with eBay.

Many people have searches set up and when you list something on a search list it shows up for them to watch.

I was living in San Diego after the LA Riots and stolen Money Orders were a real scam as they got the machines to print them and the blanks.

With Pay Pal and eBay you have the security both for the buyer and seller. I get the pay pal and eBay Spoof eMail's very often. Never click on the link as you could be sent to the scammers web sight. Always go to your account via your favorites NOT the link in the eMail and check and see if you have any messages. IF eBay or Pay Pal contact you it will show up in your account AND as a eMail. eMAIL ONLY = SCAM.

The Scammers us terms like "Urgent Attention needed" "Your account will be closed".... Don't fall for it..... Unless you are a ******* eBay will never close your account, they like the money you pay them.....

As a seller using Pay Pal if you sell say a Laptop and the buyer has a problem and they contact Pay Pal then Pay Pal could and would freeze your account to withdrawal's

The only advantage I see with the Penny Saver or Paper Shop is you can do local delivery or pick up. I would buy or sell a Air Compressor in the Paper Shop due to shipping weight. I bought a $5000.00 wood chipper via the Paper Shop and got to kick the wheels before I paid the hard cash.... A good thing. When I was finished with it I sold it via the Paper Shop and everyone was happy.

A friend won a Used mint condition Jaguar in a raffle and a 12 cylinder car is not really a Cold Weather Car in PA.... I listed it on eBay and it was sold in no time with a bidding war at the end to a buyer in West Palm Beach.

I just signed up for Pay Pal Credit Card terminal to take credit cards for my business. For a low volume business it is a cost effective tool.

Nothing is Ever URGENT in the world of eBay... Urgent = ******* If it was really Urgent then a local store could have filled his need. Even with Money Orders a 14 day waiting period is good for the seller with anything over $40.00. Like the TV Commercial with the Senior Citizens... telling the Telemarketer "Mail me the Information!!!!" "You Can't..... " I am hanging up now..... Good Job...

I get at least one Scam eMail a week with someone willing to give me 5 million dollars if I help them get money out of some country. 20/20 did a story about a guy that was scammed, send me a processing fee and we will start the paperwork.... He did then got another letter asking for more money then another. Thousands later he went to Nigeria and was told to bring CASH..... They found him dead in his hotel room....

Being Retired Military I have see a lot of scams as my younger co workers would fall for them. If it is too good to be true it's not....

Good Luck,

AL

Looks like the software thinks my word s c a m m e r is a bad word and = ****

Old 04-12-2007, 10:44 AM

I have run into many of those scam emails as well fortunatly I was able to spot them before I got taken. As I stated before Papershop has its commission thing and I also checked Craigs List but definitely to chaotic for practical purposes. I did do a little more reading and even went as far as emailing the Easy Peddler web site and it appears the listings are for the whole state not just Hazleton so thats a relief. I'm probably gonna give it shot new registrations get 15 free listings so we'll see how that goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania