Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,957 times

Advertisements

So I just moved here from NY, and I've never had a more thorough safety & emissions test ever...3 hours! I have a car from 1999, from NY..so yeah rusty. Anywho, it passed the emissions test, but failed the safety test because it needs a new catalytic converter?? If the converter was so bad then why did it pass the emissions test? Feel like I'm being scammed into further unnecessary repairs, but I'm unfamiliar with PA safety test law...

I didn't go to some chain mechanic either, this is a local (York) mechanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:41 PM

62 posts, read 84,144 times
I would get a 2nd opinion. It will cost the price of another inspection but that shouldnt be more than $20-$30. well worth it if you think you're being scammed which btw can happen as easily at a local mechanic as it can a chain. in fact Id be more leery of them especially if you're not from here and dont know the emissions laws. I'm not mechanically inclined at all but I've never had a 3 hrs inspection. Usually an hour and that would be with an oil change. Not sure what all they were doing but something doesnt sound right there if it took that long just to inspect without doing any repairs.
Im not in York but not far from it. Usually Meineki (sp?) has deals going on and there's probably one in York or close to it. You didnt sound to into the chain shops but I've used them many times and never have a problem.

I thought cars older than a certain year were exempt from the emissions?? I dont know the cut ff year or if it's still valid but I would def. call around and ask another mechanic.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:12 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCG2015 View Post
I thought cars older than a certain year were exempt from the emissions?? I dont know the cut ff year or if it's still valid but I would def. call around and ask another mechanic.
Emissions info from PennDOT website:

Quote:
You are required to have your vehicle checked for emissions if the following criteria apply to you:
  • You own a gasoline-powered car, van, or light-duty truck (9,000 pounds or less gross vehicle weight), with a model year of 1975 and newer
  • You reside in either Allegheny, Beaver, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia, Washington or Westmoreland County
Some vehicles are exempt. Examples are:
  • Vehicles driven less than 5,000 miles in the year, regardless of their model year
  • Motorcycles for up to 12 months
PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - FAQ - Inspections

Old 03-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
LibraGirl123

I am not sure the information posted above is entirely accurate because I live in Erie County and we have emissions testing. I think this website has more updated information: PA DEP I/M - Welcome to Drive Clean PA! - Pennsylvania's Vehicle Emission Testing Program

Old 03-22-2015, 04:54 PM

54 posts, read 81,668 times
I don't know about York but in Lackawanna county the emissions test is just a gas cap test so the catalytic converter would have nothing to do with it. Could it be your catalytic converter is just so rusty it's in danger of falling off?

I'm lucky I just take my vehicles to a neighbor's garage so I never have to worry about getting ripped off. I went to a chain place years ago and would never go to one again if I can avoid it.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
This link is very helpful because if you enter the year of your vehicle, the type of vehicle you have and which county you live in it tells you what types of emission tests are required.

PA DEP I/M - Emission Test Calculator

Old 03-23-2015, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.Jenco View Post
I don't know about York but in Lackawanna county the emissions test is just a gas cap test so the catalytic converter would have nothing to do with it. Could it be your catalytic converter is just so rusty it's in danger of falling off?

I'm lucky I just take my vehicles to a neighbor's garage so I never have to worry about getting ripped off. I went to a chain place years ago and would never go to one again if I can avoid it.

It has a small rust hole forming, not in danger of falling off. Up in NY if you go to a chain, you're gonna get ripped off, so I figured it be the same down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania