U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 04:31 AM

25 posts, read 82,776 times

Advertisements

Hi,we live in NW NJ and we want out.Like so many in this state were tired of the rude people,over crowding,hi taxes(even higher now,7%),expensive property,etc.We live in a county that was only a short time ago was rural(by NJ standards)and is now being turned into condos,McMansions and golf courses.We thought about VA but my wife thinks it's to far(she's right) and we both like the cold and the snow.Upstate NY is a very good posibility as well as NH and maybe VT.I didn't think to much about PA,I just keep thinking about the Poconos,how over developed they seem to have gotten.Where looking for what evryone else is looking for,a nice place to live,good schools,friendly people,lower taxes(it's not hard compared to NJ),health care,jobs.etc.We'd like a semi rural area where we could buy 10-20 acres and build a small house.We'er blue collar,my wife drives a school bus and is a police dispatcher and I work in a sporting goods store(I sell guns),and have a small landscape?snowplow buisness.Someone mentioned Wayne and Susquehanna counties,do you have any suggestions on good places in PA,thanks?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2006, 04:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 23,111,434 times
All I know in NE PA is Pike County, and it would meet all your requirements except possibly jobs and healthcare.

Most people commute into NJ - there are not a lot of jobs there. However for the type of work you two do, there might be. There are almost always positions open for school bus drivers - there is a shortage of them and the population of families w/ children is growing, so bus drivers are in demand. There are some sporting good stores in the area and snowplowing/landscaping is always needed, but there are a lot of owners of small plowing/landscaping businesses already.
As for healthcare, there is no major hospital yet in Pike County, just a medical clinic or two. The nearest hospitals are Mercy in Port Jervis, NY (don't go there), Newton Memorial in Newton, NJ, and then there's one south of Pike County in PA (maybe Stroudsburg or near there, I forget). There are enough small medical practices (dentist, eye, family practioners, OB/GYN) to provide service for non-emergency needs.
Taxes are low, schools are excellent, and the people are very friendly. If you wanted to own 10-20 acres of land, I would advise looking into Dingmans Ferry (Dingman and Delaware Township) and Shohola Township. There is population growth but little commercial growth in either town. Pike County is growing commercially but it is centered in the Milford/Westfall area.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:07 PM

12 posts, read 56,130 times
Pocono Medical Center is in East Stroudsburg. They have just had a huge expansion. Because of the hospital, there are lots of doctors' practices in the area - I've worked in two of them. The schools in Stroudsburg are terrific, but I have no first hand knowledge about any of the other districts. Monroe county is growing quickly, but there are still many nice places to live.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:42 PM

31,781 posts, read 73,074,226 times
Ignore ANY recommendations for ANY part of Pike or Monroe Counties! Not to sound harsh, but any "quiet" areas you hear about in either of them will be overdeveloped in the next 10-15 years as well I'm sorry to say. Your best bet is indeed Wayne or Susquehanna Counties. In Susquehanna County, you can live in a tranquil paradise while still only being a half-hour from the minor-league sports, shopping malls, universities, dining, etc. in both Scranton and Binghamton, NY. There aren't many housing developments at all in Susquehanna County, and the tiny borough of Montrose, the county seat, is gorgeous. Also consider NORTHERN Wayne County---No further south than the line you can draw on a road map between Waymart, Honesdale, and Hawley. I say this because I've seen firsthand how sprawl is now beginning to sneak up upon Gouldsboro, Lake Ariel, and Hamlin in the southern part of the county (near I-84), and I'm not thrilled about it. Anywhere from that line northward should remain pristine as it's not a feasible commute to NYC/NJ anymore for work. Finally, look at Wyoming County, which is likewise only about a half-hour from the urban conveniences of Scranton and Wilkes-Barre while still being mostly agricultural and scenic. The county seat of Tunkhannock is beautiful with its restored downtown theatre, specialty shops, etc., and once again sprawl is at a minimum (but avoid the Lake Winola area as I can foresee Scranton's sprawl spreading from Clarks Summit right into that part of the county over the next ten years). Hope this helps, and I'm sure you'll enjoy any one of those areas. Employment-wise, the blue-collar market here is always RED HOT---It's the white-collar market that everyone gripes and moans about.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:33 AM

25 posts, read 82,776 times
Thanks for the replys.SWB,I looked at the crime stats for Wayne county,they seem high for a rural area,any thoughts?

Old 07-20-2006, 06:03 AM

84 posts, read 302,663 times
We have lived in Wayne County for 10 years now. We were originally from New Jersey. The population and number of new houses has increased as people move out from NJ and NY......especially since 9/11. Crime has increased along with the influx of people. My husband and I have given thought to moving a couple of counties west in the years to come if the construction of new houses continues to move in on us. We came here for the rural life but it is building up in this area. There are not a lot of jobs either. (we are retired so that does not affect us) I have to laugh at the people who come out here and build a beautiful new house and then leave after then cannot stand their first winter here. If they had done their research first, they would have realized that winters, at times, can be brutal.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:42 PM

31,781 posts, read 73,074,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASIC
Thanks for the replys.SWB,I looked at the crime stats for Wayne county,they seem high for a rural area,any thoughts?
Crime is a matter of life pretty much anywhere. To be honest, I'm a local news junkie, watching the local news at 6 AM before leaving for work, checking out online sources midday, and then watching more local news at 5 PM, 6 PM, and 10 PM. (I know I need a hobby! LOL!) I RARELY see a crime occur in Wayne County. Even when they do, it's usually just something childish such as a couple of teenagers slashing tires on side streets or something---I can't remember the last MURDER or any other sort of violent crime up there. Any crime that does occur there is in the SOUTHERN, commuter portions of the county, where I advised you to try to avoid (Lake Wallenpaupack/Hawley area, Gouldsboro, etc.) Honesdale is small-town America at its best with friendly people, a gorgeous restored downtown, historic homes, tree-lined streets, etc. The schools in Wayne County are "decent"---It's hard to compare those to standout school districts such as North Pocono, Abington Heights, and Crestwood in the ritzier parts of the Scranton area. The schools are academically strong, but are probably no better than you'd come to expect from a rural county.

Overall, crime in Wayne County is LARGELY overexaggerated---The TRUE problems lie to the south in Pike and Monroe Counties (moreso just the Stroudsburg area). The only real drawback to Wayne County is its lack of cultural diversity and somewhat narrow-minded population. The Western Wayne School District had to close for a day last year after escalating tensions between whites and the few blacks that make the Waymart area their home. A professional was brought in for a "community session" in the auditorium where hundreds from the area turned out to basically be chastised for their juvenile behavior. Other than a few minor hiccups such as these, Wayne County is a very nice place to call home! (I'd move there myself if I wasn't addicted to my beloved A&F, Starbucks, etc. in Scranton...LOL!)

Old 07-20-2006, 04:41 PM

6,044 posts, read 23,111,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre
Ignore ANY recommendations for ANY part of Pike or Monroe Counties! Not to sound harsh, but any "quiet" areas you hear about in either of them will be overdeveloped in the next 10-15 years as well I'm sorry to say ... Overall, crime in Wayne County is LARGELY overexaggerated---The TRUE problems lie to the south in Pike and Monroe Counties (moreso just the Stroudsburg area).
I have to respectfully disagree with this, at least for Pike County.

My family is friends with most of the local government officials in Dingmans Ferry, and I promise you, there will be no sprawl in this generation or a very, very long time. They only just got their 2nd traffic light. There is not a single major business there, not a major grocery store, not a McDonald's, nothing. The local authorities are very reluctant to even allow small mom and pop shops to open. The only growth I have observed in the last 15 years in Pike County has been centered in Westfall and the bits of Milford and Matamoras that have room for it (Milford and Matamoras are small and already filled with well established residential neighborhoods so there is little room for commercial businesses to come in).

Can't say I know what the reference to crime in Pike County is about either...the local paper might mention a DWI/DUI, arrest for pot or rarely, crack or heroin, but that's it. Only Matamoras and Milford even have police departments, the other towns rely on state police because there isn't enough crime to justify a police department.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:33 PM

84 posts, read 302,663 times
One of our largest pet peeves here in our part of Wayne County is that the news stations hardly ever cover what goes on up here. They hardly know we exist which is why people think nothing happens here. Most of the time we laugh at the fact that according to them, we don't even have any weather! The truth is we do, along with drugs, crime etc. I can't even get a Scranton newspaper delivered here. That being said, I still like it here very much.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:12 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,402,143 times
Hi guys, well we are still waiting to sell the house down here in Punta Gorda.
ScrantonWilkesBarre, your info is very informative! How about flooding in Susquehanna County? And do you have a site for the MLS is that area?
We have been looking in Northern Wayne County because we also don't want to be crowded out with communites. We are looking near Pensypat from Honesdale and above. I am going on line later to see what is available. Just don't want to be near the places that flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>