Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 PM

15 posts, read 30,449 times

Advertisements

My husband has a new job starting in Stroudsburg but we like Lancaster or Berks counties. Is there a good area that is like Lancaster with barns/cornfields/amish about 45 minutes from Stroudsburg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:04 PM

Lancaster County is beautiful but two hours away from Stroudsburg. How can I find an area that is like Bird In Hand or Intercourse or Strasburg that's closer to Stroudsburg? AM I just dreaming?

Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 PM

In following Advice for posting from "Sticky", my husband, myself and two small children are moving from Long Island to PA. We are looking to buy a home that is no further than 45 minutes to 1 hour from Stroudsburg, PA where husband's new job is. We have looked around in the
Bethlehem/Nazareth area but still would like to be closer to Lancaster or live in a setting that is like a Lancaster. Son is going into 5th grade, daughter in preschool.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 PM

148 posts, read 637,537 times
I know Mt. Pocono is not like Lancaster but it is an attractive little borough in Monroe County. I travel there for work frequently and enjoy the downtown with artsy shops. Cresco is more rural and there is a pretzel store/factory in Mountain Home, another rural area.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 PM

Thank you for the response. I have heard that about Mt Pocono but I also have read that the area/schools have some issues.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:47 PM

148 posts, read 637,537 times
Can you afford tuition? Look at Smithfield Township. I really know nothing about the district but the home values are strong for the county.

My objections with the area are very poor planning. The two-lane roads are grossly inadequate for the population growth in there area. The weird mix of houses, retail, self storage, and industrial on the arteries. Is there even a comprehensive zoning plan? I have never seen steel frame retail centers with metal siding until I was up there for the first time. The shopping centers look just like the motels on 209.

I like the 1950's resorts and odd little tourists traps like the pretzel factory but someone was asleep at the wheel. The area has gone from a resort to ugly highway junk like a drive out on US 4 to the Garden State Plaza in Paramus.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Kutztown has some amish and mennonites and is VERY "pennsylvania dutchy". That whole northwestern Lehigh, northern Berks region is very rural with rolling farms, fields of corn and wheat, farms, historic old homes, streams, lakes, woods and distant mountain views. That's at least an hour from Stroudsburg, though.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:41 AM

Thank you! Kutztown was on our list to check out! I appreciate any input.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoInPA View Post
Can you afford tuition? Look at Smithfield Township. I really know nothing about the district but the home values are strong for the county.

My objections with the area are very poor planning. The two-lane roads are grossly inadequate for the population growth in there area. The weird mix of houses, retail, self storage, and industrial on the arteries. Is there even a comprehensive zoning plan? I have never seen steel frame retail centers with metal siding until I was up there for the first time. The shopping centers look just like the motels on 209.

I like the 1950's resorts and odd little tourists traps like the pretzel factory but someone was asleep at the wheel. The area has gone from a resort to ugly highway junk like a drive out on US 4 to the Garden State Plaza in Paramus.
Ditto Northern Virginia, so Monroe County isn't alone in this regard. Come to the NoVA forum though and ask about improper long-range urban planning and OH BOY does the fur fly! People here like their poor planning apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania