Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 PM

10 posts, read 29,773 times

Advertisements

I'm considering retirement to P.A in about 4 years would be looking to be near mountains or hills near by lake with fish is a must. looking for 1 to 5 acres for the wife to have a few small farm animals and do some gardening. I will be a retired New York City Police Officer ( God willing ) may be looking for work in security , police full/part time mainly want job ( any ) to occupy my self, require near by fishing if i did not mention that ? would love to have property on state/federal forest/preserve/park that has fishing of course. also am big civilwarbuff any info on Gettysburg area my gut feeling is that area my be expensive not looking for large house 1800 sq feet max rural area OK friendly neighbors preferred but not required LOL any info or suggestions greatly appreciated thanks in advance.
Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 09:43 AM

93 posts, read 315,524 times
I would suggest the Centre County area. Lots of land, beuatiful countryside and mountains. You will have no problem finding somewhere to fish. The Military Museum is in Boalsburg, it's a nice place to visit that you would enjoy. Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2007, 06:18 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powder View Post
I'm considering retirement to P.A in about 4 years would be looking to be near mountains or hills near by lake with fish is a must. looking for 1 to 5 acres for the wife to have a few small farm animals and do some gardening. I will be a retired New York City Police Officer ( God willing ) may be looking for work in security , police full/part time mainly want job ( any ) to occupy my self, require near by fishing if i did not mention that ? would love to have property on state/federal forest/preserve/park that has fishing of course. also am big civilwarbuff any info on Gettysburg area my gut feeling is that area my be expensive not looking for large house 1800 sq feet max rural area OK friendly neighbors preferred but not required LOL any info or suggestions greatly appreciated thanks in advance.
Jerry
I would strongly recommend Adams county (which contains Gettysburg). Prices are very reasonable and you shouldn't have a problem finding what you need. The county is mostly rural but still close to amenities just outside Gettysburg (brand new movie theater, shopping).

Old 04-23-2007, 02:34 PM

70 posts, read 311,246 times
I'm in Gouldsboro, at the southern tip of Wayne County, and I'm surrounded by no less than 10 lakes, although 3 of them are in private communities....and they're all within a 5 to 10 minute drive.

I'm not much of a fisherman myself, but my neighbor routinely fishes the lake across the street and the one 500 feet up the road.

Houses with 1 to 5 acres are pretty common 'round here. We've raised chickens, ducks, and rabbits on our property, so that's not unheard of either.

I too am a police officer, well....a recently and voluntarily separated police officer looking to get back into law enforcement (long story).

There are plenty of security opportunities in the Monroe County area (I'm about a mile, maybe less to the Monroe County line). Lackawanna County (which is a few hundred feet away from me) has an ABUNDANCE of part time police jobs, as does Luzerne County. It's unfortunate, but that's the way they run things here and while it's great for a retired guy, it's horrible for young, career-minded officers like myself.....but that's a whole 'nother rant.

Anyway, I love this area. So much that I left the Myrtle Beach PD to move back unemployed, but will likely have to move again due to the sheer lack of opportunity for me. It's a pretty rural area, most people I've met here are much friendly than the fabled "southern hospitality" practitioners I met in South Carolina.

Good luck in your search! I'd offer ya my house, but I can't wait 4 years to sell it.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:18 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powder View Post
Jerry
Hello Jerry and good luck with your upcoming retirement. I also am a fellow NYCERS retiree and moved to Pa. 6 years ago . I retired in 2006. You will love just about any part of rural Pa and even better the state will not tax your pension. One area to look might be the Northeast section of Pa. bordering the Delaware river. A large portion of it is controlled by the Federal Park service and every year they look for park rangers to patrol the area. I would look from Lacawaxen Pa and north from there. This area is fairly rural but within a reasonable drive to Honesdale for shopping etc. Housing prices and taxes are reasonable. Good luck !

Old 04-24-2007, 05:43 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
Powder, check out my many posting about The Hideout, in Lake Ariel, Pa. It is about 30 miles outside of Scranton. It is a large gated community, comprised of about 4,500 homes, mostly part-timers. There are 4 lakes within The Hideout for fishing, and Lake Wallenpaupack is a short drive away. The Hideout also has their own Retired Police Offiers Club that meets and socializes regularly.
Search the threads for "The Hideout" for more info, or check out their web-site, hideoutassocdotcom.
If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
I would suggest Huntingdon County - close to Lake Raystown. They have boating, fishing, hunting, etc. It's rural, but you're close to State College, Altoona & Harrisburg. Check it out.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:05 PM

70 posts, read 311,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Powder, check out my many posting about The Hideout, in Lake Ariel, Pa. It is about 30 miles outside of Scranton. It is a large gated community, comprised of about 4,500 homes, mostly part-timers. There are 4 lakes within The Hideout for fishing, and Lake Wallenpaupack is a short drive away. The Hideout also has their own Retired Police Offiers Club that meets and socializes regularly.
Search the threads for "The Hideout" for more info, or check out their web-site, hideoutassocdotcom.
If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer!

The Hideout is becoming known for it's increasing crime and other issues. I know that I have arrested several individuals from The Hideout who were using it as their base of operations for selling drugs imported from NYC or Philly.

Just FYI. You could, of course, have that issue anywhere, but The Hideout is starting to become notorious among law enforcement locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania