Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever move to State College, PA?
Yes 14 50.00%
Maybe 7 25.00%
No 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:39 PM

115 posts, read 266,461 times

Advertisements

Sports
Top College Sports Towns
Matt Woolsey, 02.12.09, 04:00 PM EST
Excitement in the nearby stadium is likely, but a great quality of life outside it is a sure thing.

4. State College, Pa.
Penn State University

While most people aren't sure what exactly Penn State's mascot, a Nittany Lion, is, the teams bearing that logo finished ninth in last year's Director's Cup. Home prices for a four-bedroom house are $307,500. Public schools rank second of the college towns measured (even though this is technically a borough), and State College had the lowest violent crime rate of college towns measured, according to FBI data.

Top College Sports Towns - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:28 PM

25 posts, read 309,019 times
Are you still deciding whether to move to State College? I think it would be a great experience, especially if you love the football and the outdoor sports. Would you be living in town or the surrounding area?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM

Yes, I'm still trying to decide and I would prefer to live in town, if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmineSantucciorellicuci View Post
Are you still deciding whether to move to State College? I think it would be a great experience, especially if you love the football and the outdoor sports. Would you be living in town or the surrounding area?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times
Oh man I go to school up there... if you like football you will love it. As for the outdoors there are lots of hiking trails and lakes nearby. It is very much an outdoors town. It is also very much a beer town, as there are something like 27 bars downtown. Its very safe. Nothing bad ever happens except for students getting rowdy after a big game. Its a college town so there are beautiful women everywhere, which is always nice to have.

A few drawbacks to consider: Not sure if you are looking to go to school or to work out here, but job opportunities are not very good simply because there is nothing out here. It is very isolated except for the town. Also the weather sucks most of the time, it rains a lot and gets really cold from November until about mid-April. Similar to Buffalo or Syracuse temperatures but with not quite as much snow.

It pretty much depends where you are coming from. I grew up in a pretty small suburb so I thought State College was fun, but I have friends who grew up in Philly or other big cities and they find State College to be too small, boring and isolated. If you are coming from a big city it might drive you nuts being out there.

If you want more info let me know.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
My wife went to school here, and although the setting is pretty, the weather is a bit harsh and it's pretty isolated (200 miles to Philadelphia and about 150 to Pittsburgh). But if you have a good job and enjoy wearing white to football games, it's a great spot.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Penn State sucks. Go Owls.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Temple is a laughing joke, just like Philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post

Old 08-11-2009, 08:18 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I really hope that was said with a lot of sarcasm....

Old 08-12-2009, 08:29 PM

656 posts, read 1,419,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrunner79 View Post
Temple is a laughing joke, just like Philly.
Please not that the above author's various posts has showed tremendous, bias, misinterpretation of facts, trying to make a claim and point by debunking something the other side of the coin never claimed, flipping two sides of the coin as to where he wants to live, and exaggerating claims about a place both forward in one place and reverse in the other.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Please, you're kidding right? Saying that Temple is a laughing joke is a FACT. Temple's athletic program doesn't stand up to Penn State's in any fashion. How is that flipping the coin? Pittsburgh is a great city, that's a FACT. Pittsburgh's sports programs, along with State College's, blow away just about everyone else out there. You can't compere other cities to GREAT places like Pittsburgh and State College. Get a clue buddy, because you obviously don't have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
Please not that the above author's various posts has showed tremendous, bias, misinterpretation of facts, trying to make a claim and point by debunking something the other side of the coin never claimed, flipping two sides of the coin as to where he wants to live, and exaggerating claims about a place both forward in one place and reverse in the other.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania