Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,324 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am graduating from college soon and my husband and I are considering moving to Exton, PA so he could attend school. We both grew up in Idaho and are unsure what to expect. We've both traveled a lot, so we are not completely unfamilar with large cities, but we'd really appreciate a little insight. We are interested in the crime rates, the public school system, job availability, and apartment rental rates (especially since we have a dog that we are not willing to part with).
Your help is much apprieciated!
-Kelly and Mandi H.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 09:13 PM

158 posts, read 814,496 times
Exton is a decent, if rural, area in Chester County. I go to the Exton Mall sometimes...

It's a pretty wealthy area, low crime rate, and the Downingtown School District (excellent).

It's pricey, however. I'm willing to bet you're looking at $900+ for a one-bedroom that will allow pets.

Depending on the field, jobs can be found, I think. I know a few people that work in the area...but most of the people I know that live in Exton (or northern Chester County for that matter) commute to Philadelphia.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:38 PM

179 posts, read 1,067,078 times
exton is a great place. not cheap as started by enviroman. But everything you'll ever need is there within 5 miles. property taxes are good in chester county and property prices aren't ridiculous. you can check out homesof pennsylvania.com to check out home prices in that area. rentals can be checked on line try the newspaper websites phillynews.com or chestercountylinks.com

Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 PM

17 posts, read 64,439 times
Default Sprawl

To me anyway, Exton is the perfect definition of suburban sprawl. Knowing what it looked like 30 years ago, and now, is very depressing.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhenry View Post
To me anyway, Exton is the perfect definition of suburban sprawl. Knowing what it looked like 30 years ago, and now, is very depressing.
I wrote a scathing letter recently to the Chester County Planning Commission for the travesty that is happening out in Exton/Chester Springs/Downingtown.
West Chester(right in the heart of Chester County) is the template for how to grow suburbia as its one of the best small towns in the state. The Mainline + Chestnut Hill are also just a stones throw away and yet Chester County continues on this cookie cutter mcmansion and suburbia strip mall rampage. Infuriating.

Thats not to say Exton is a bad place, far from it, but its a shadow of what it could be if they just followed the formula that made this one of the best metros back in the day.

This is more like it.This has some vision.

Bryn Eyre Vision

Old 01-03-2008, 06:34 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
West Chester(right in the heart of Chester County) is the template for how to grow suburbia as its one of the best small towns in the state. The Mainline + Chestnut Hill are also just a stones throw away and yet Chester County continues on this cookie cutter mcmansion and suburbia strip mall rampage. Infuriating.
Rainrock, this is off topic, but when West Chester yokels shoot down the potential of "tall" buildings (i.e. more than 6 stories) how can such a place grow at a sufficient level to reduce the amount of suburban sprawl throughout the rest of the county? Until people in this region embrace tall, dense development, and not associate such concepts with North Philadelphia, Norristown, and Coatesville, we'll continue to build sparsely in the far reaches of places like Chester County.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:54 AM

12 posts, read 40,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhenry View Post
Yes, Jim is dead on and this is exactly why we left 6 years ago. I grew up in Chester County, deep roots. It is a truely beautiful area, except for all the shopping centers. After I married we bought a town house in Exton station. In the 7 years that we owned it Exton exploded and we hated it. Yes, now every convenience is there and you no longer have to drive to Concordville or Delaware to shop. If you like convenience and don't mind concrete instead of pasture, go for it.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:45 AM

Exton is a victim of the regions success so I'm very glad there is progress I just which it was more thoughtfully designed.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Rainrock, this is off topic, but when West Chester yokels shoot down the potential of "tall" buildings (i.e. more than 6 stories) how can such a place grow at a sufficient level to reduce the amount of suburban sprawl throughout the rest of the county? Until people in this region embrace tall, dense development, and not associate such concepts with North Philadelphia, Norristown, and Coatesville, we'll continue to build sparsely in the far reaches of places like Chester County.
I cant blame West Chester for not wanting explosive growth. History has shown us the downfall of density in small urban spaces. Eventually it ultimately comes back to haunt you. Regarding WC I really dislike the eastern gateway into West Chester from West Goshen along Route 3. Thats a very ugly sprawlly strip that should be an extension of the downtown area. That should be priority #1 for West Chester, start over with that mess.

If there is one town in the area that has a chance to become a real-life city in this century I think it would be Conshohocken. The rest of the area simply has no interest in building a city.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:21 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I cant blame West Chester for not wanting explosive growth. History has shown us the downfall of density in small urban spaces. Eventually it ultimately comes back to haunt you. Regarding WC I really dislike the eastern gateway into West Chester from West Goshen along Route 3. Thats a very ugly sprawlly strip that should be an extension of the downtown area. That should be priority #1 for West Chester, start over with that mess.

If there is one town in the area that has a chance to become a real-life city in this century I think it would be Conshohocken. The rest of the area simply has no interest in building a city.
I don't mean to get this thread off topic, but I just wanted to further understand what you meant by density = downfall if you're against sprawl? King of Prussia is also more and more going the tall route, and I think regional planners SHOULD instill this sort of Smart Growth development in potential real estate developers. I know a lot of people decry dense urbanization to suburban environments, but especially if we want to make ourselves more environmentally sustainable and preserve our pristine countryside, we're going to have to build up -- not out. The upcoming Village at Valley Forge is a great example of putting development in an area that is already overwhelmingly developed:

Village at Valley Forge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania