Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:39 PM

4 posts, read 12,549 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Where is high speed internet available in rural Pennsylvania? Are there areas where there are problems? Speeds need to be suitable for company headquarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 10:10 PM

93 posts, read 325,482 times
I know here in rural blair county everything seems pretty good. Embarq provides DSL. It is very reliable but im only a mile out from town and they offer speeds up to 10MB. I think it would be really sketchy depending on where you want to go. I wouldn't go with satellite since they have caps and seems rather slow. Any questions let me know.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,869,863 times
A lot of places in western PA have Comcast cable internet. The house we are trying to sell is in Armstrong Co., which is pretty rural, and we have Comcast and have had it for several years. Adelphia, which was pretty strong in western PA, was bought out by Comcast (and Time Warner in other areas like NY), so it should be wherever they were.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:15 PM

259 posts, read 732,099 times
south central PA uses Comcast.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
PA still has a lot of smaller broadband companies.

For the TV-based guys, besides Comcast and Time Warner look also for Service Electric (3 different companies, each owned by a different child of the guy who invented cable TV), Blue Ridge Communications, Armstrong Cable.

For the phone-based, in addition to Verizon look for Embarq and Frontier.

Plus there's still a lot of really little outfits out there. Such as the municipally owned cable system in Brockway Borough and Snyder Township, Jefferson County.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 AM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
If really you want to dig deep into this, at the state level, Pennsylvania several years ago had a court litigation settlement with Verizon (any maybe Comcast, too) to bring high speed broadband to rural areas of the state. The deal was verizon agreed to do this, in return for some other consessions, I forget the exact details, but it was to be done over ten years. It's mentioned infrequently in the press every once in a while.

But I believe someone at the PA Public Utility Commission is actively monitoring this, and either that group, or your elected state representative or senator can dig up some info for you.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
Here in Snyder County I have Internet through the cable company, Service Electric Cablevision. The Internet provider is Penn Tele Data (PTD) Prolog.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
I've been seeing commercials for Hughes Net, a satellite internet provider that doesn't make you use a phone to dial in.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriekate View Post
south central PA uses Comcast.
But it is spotty. For example, McConnellsburg, the county seat of Fulton County has Comcast. But other parts of the county do not. I have a place in Needmore and use Frontier Communications for both phone and DSL service. I've tried to get Comcast where I am but I'm not considered to be in their "coverage area." Whatever that means.

As an example of speed, I have three computers on a wireless network, one is streaming audio right now and the other two are accessing remote servers for work. Below is a snapshot of my current speed.

Compared to what I get when I'm in Jersey, this is nothing to write home about.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:16 PM

259 posts, read 732,099 times
i just came from Fairfield Co, CT so you're preaching to the choir here. but where i am right now is about 20 minutes south of Harrisburg and it's Comcast here. i'm sure there are small companies you can choose from as well, but since i came from Cablevision land, i chose to stick with who i get my cable from.

can you contact the city hall of the town you're looking to set up shop to see what options you have? small towns give that info, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania