U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,499 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of selling our home in Virginia and moving to Adams County to be nearer our children and grandkids in Md. Are there any shooting clubs and public hunting and fishing areas west of Gettysburg?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 14,161 times
No replies at all? About 25 mi West of Gettysburg is Caledonia St Pk. Some fishing but not great. York County-Hanover PA supports Codorus St Pk which has great fishing(for this part of PA). Bass, Walleye, Northerns and panfish.
Where in PA relocating to?

Old 05-14-2007, 12:16 AM

429 posts, read 1,798,218 times
Curious, is Adams county rural and country or is being too developed?
I hope it's not another case of sprawl engulfing the area.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,447,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Curious, is Adams county rural and country or is being too developed?
I hope it's not another case of sprawl engulfing the area.
Adams county is very interesting. The western and northern fringe are mountainous and very forested and have a much colder climate with more snow then the rest of the county (elevations 1500-2000'). The rest of the county outside Gettysburg is almost entirely rural, with some small towns and a few small suburban clusters. There has been a noticeable increase in Mexican immigration due to the fruit orchards. There are even little Mexican shops and general stores along the rural roads in Adams county, something you don't often see outside of California and certainly not anywhere else in rural PA. Gettysburg is a medium sized town, which is engulfed on the eastern side of suburban development. The western side which has the battlefield has been spared much development, but there are still a lot of homes going up.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:25 AM

5 posts, read 20,349 times
Default can you tell me some more about Gettysburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Adams county is very interesting. The western and northern fringe are mountainous and very forested and have a much colder climate with more snow then the rest of the county (elevations 1500-2000'). The rest of the county outside Gettysburg is almost entirely rural, with some small towns and a few small suburban clusters. There has been a noticeable increase in Mexican immigration due to the fruit orchards. There are even little Mexican shops and general stores along the rural roads in Adams county, something you don't often see outside of California and certainly not anywhere else in rural PA. Gettysburg is a medium sized town, which is engulfed on the eastern side of suburban development. The western side which has the battlefield has been spared much development, but there are still a lot of homes going up.
My son will be going to Gettysburg College next year and I am relocating with him. What is the cost of land there? Costly to build or still reasonable? On the battlefield side or the other side? I just wanted to build a nice cottage on a wooded piece of land, seems like a nice place. What say you?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 AM

393 posts, read 1,468,194 times
land for sale in gettysburg - Google Search

Property in Gettysburg

Old 07-15-2007, 10:55 PM

522 posts, read 1,730,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballpienhammer View Post
No replies at all? About 25 mi West of Gettysburg is Caledonia St Pk. Some fishing but not great.
I will respectfully disagree. People travel from all over the country to fish this area. The Conocoheague Creek is known to be some of the best trout fishing in the country. There are also state game lands that are some of the most plentuful around for White Tail Deer and plenty of camping and hiking too. I suppose it depends on what type of fishing you want to do.

Also, further up I-81 is the Yellow Breeches Creek and offers even better- world class- trout fishing. If you like fly-fishing that's the place to go.

Captain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania