Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 10:51 AM

22 posts, read 30,492 times

Advertisements

Hello there! This is my first post on City-Data!

My name is Joe and I can't stop thinking about where it is I want to live. I'm currently going to college here in Pinellas County Florida (Tampa Bay Area). I've lived in Tarpon Springs my whole life. I enjoy being close to water for kayaking, boating, swimming or just enjoying the weather. And of course triathlons! Being near water allows for many triathlons throughout the year.

Pinellas is a pretty well populated county so I enjoy being close to shopping malls, grocery stores and movie theaters (fun stuff like that). I don't ever want to live in a town where I'd have to drive half an hour to get grocerys. It's also a pretty accepting area. I'm a democrat and would enjoy living near like/open-minded people.

The thing I HATE about this area is the HEAT!! There's only like 4 months out of the year when I can walk outside without sweating. I also hate how flat it is here. I want to see mountains from time to time!!

My fiance's parents are from Eastern PA and they really miss it and want to return. My parents on the other hand want to move to the Seattle area! I've looked into Seattle and it seems very nice, except for the gloomy season. I do need my sun because I enjoy being outside. I also like how Seattle doesn't really get TOO much snow. I've never lived in a snowy climate and don't really know how to handle it.

One thing I keep thinking about is family vacations. When you live in Seattle, where do you go for a vacation?? I'm sure there's plenty of beautiful places, but I always tend to want to go to historical places, and of course the East Coast is loaded with them.

Anyways, I'm training to be a police officer and I know I can/will make more money in either WA or PA. I know I want to raise a family and schools will be a priority... as well as hospitals! So what do you think is good for me??

I need good schools, hospitals, and good proximity to malls & stores. I need to live in an nice area with open minded people. And I also would like to live in a city with a pretty downtown for weekend walking and sunday breakfast.

Thank you for your advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 PM

139 posts, read 366,093 times
Default where to live

Here's my two cents, but really it takes a lot of trial and error, I've found, to find the right place. I am originally from western PA which is very beautiful. However, one of my favorite towns is Gettysburg, which might be very small for you, but maybe York would be to your liking. Also, one of my favorite areas anywhere is the fingerlake region of upstate NY--it sounds like you might like it there as well. Some towns in PA are not known for their openmindedness, which I think you get anywhere that there are large portions of the population where people have lived for generations without seeing any other parts of the country or meeting any people who don't look exactly like themselves. PA is one of those kinds of areas (at least western PA is). I lived in Indiana, PA, which has all the amenities (and a college) you'd need for basics, is affordable, and it is not far from Pittsburgh, which you might also like. PA doesn't have a lot of dramatic mountains, but the landscape is beautiful. I have always wanted to live in WA too, and you should look closer at it. However, PA is very historical and Northern VA is nearby which is another place I have lived that is very beautiful and people are more diverse than in PA. But, people are about the same everywhere you go, good and bad, and I also like the history of the "east coast" (which most people don't think includes PA) as opposed to the western U.S. Anyway, my advice is see Gettysburg, look into western PA because it is one of the most beautiful areas in the country, and do a lot of driving around and reading on City-Data. (travel on Rt. 30 if you can--very nice drive) Good luck to you!

Old 09-11-2009, 05:17 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
I have some random thoughts too. It's good that you have narrowed down your search to two areas and that they are so extreme. I think Pennsylvania has the edge because your fiance's family is from this area and planning to move back. I would suggest moving to the lower tier of the state where the snowfall isn't as bad.

The Finger Lakes area of NY is absolutely beautiful but the winter lasts about 6 months. I always tell people that we lived there for four long winters.

Vacation-wise, people on the west coast can visit the National Parks much easier then we can since most of them are located in the western half of the country. I've probably taken as many vacations out west as I have here in the east because our family is spread out and we like to hike.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:12 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Barry View Post
HOne thing I keep thinking about is family vacations. When you live in Seattle, where do you go for a vacation?? I'm sure there's plenty of beautiful places, but I always tend to want to go to historical places, and of course the East Coast is loaded with them.

I think from a pure scenic and mountainous terrain perspective, Seattle is really good. There's the Olympics, the Cascades, the high desert in eastern OR and WA, and the coast in WA and OR. National parks: Olympic, Crater Lake, Mt. St, Helens. None of which are really history destinations,

There are some older forts and encampments (my word, not sure what the official name is) if you say wanted to follow the Lewis and Clark expeditions or the settling of the PNW trade routes along the Columbia and into Alaska and Canada. I used to travel there a lot and got to know these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania