Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:28 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatomiRoberts View Post
Hey everyone,

this thread has been helpful is narrowing down places to relocate to, but I was wondering which you might suggest is best for a young couple to move to. My boyfriend and I are relocating from Virginia and was interested in the York/Harrisburg/Lancaster areas. I have an aunt and uncle living is Downingtown and grandparents living in the Poconos, not to mention half my family lives in either New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. So ideally I'd love to live in PA. I'm just not sure how the cost of living is in these areas and what the job opportunities are like. I'm still doing lots of research and we both plan on having jobs before we move.

I also had a question regarding...and this is going to sound weird...bears. I have a phobia of bears. That's the only downside I have to visiting my grandparents in Pocono because they have so many incidents involving bears. I just want to know if human contact with bears is frequent or not as much as one may assume.

Any additional information to what I've read on this thread would be greatly appreciated, especially since our moving date is sometime in January.

Thanks!

~Amanda~
Hi Amanda,

First thing I have to know is where in the world is BFE, Virginia? I have recently spent a LOT of time in Virginia and I'm not catching onto this one yet. The only thing I can think of, I couldn't write, but starts with BumF...Egypt--as someone I once knew used to say. Please save me from getting out the map.

I do love Virginia, but can't figure out exactly where to locate to should I choose your state. Williamsburg & Fredericksburg are at the top of my list. I just don't particularly love Richmond or Hampton roads--for reasons I haven't totally figured out yet.

Anyway, I lived in Mechanicsburg, PA for 11 years with 4 kids and loved every minute of it. We moved to Florida with hopes of nicer weather and more sunshine. We got the sunshine part, the nicer weather though--not so much. Tooooooo hot and toooooo humid for wayyyyyy tooooooo long!

Yes, there are black bears in PA and they do have bear hunting season. Bears can be found throughout the state, but obviously are more of a presence in the mountain and very rural areas. We have black bears here in Florida, just as you have them in VA. The odds of them bothing you in PA would be about the same as in VA--unless you are in a very mountainous, remote area. We used to walk thru a lot of state parks and usually HOPED to spot one. We only caught a glimpse of one once--and it was for such a split second that no one was sure what we had seen. Generally, they will not bother you--so DO NOT FEED THEM OR LEAVE FOOD FOR THEM. I can't tell you how many times I drove very rural, mountain areas looking for a bear sighting--never happened.

What part of Virginia do you live in and I can be more helpful about the cost of living. Compared to a lot of the northeastern and mid-atlantic states, I never felt that Pennsylvania was too expensive. The only really expensive area is around Philadelphia, Bucks County, and a few other spots there. The Poconos are not really pricey--but I am not sure how New Yorkers moving to PA for a lower cost of living has impacted the area in the past several years. I can tell you that most of PA will be less expensive than northern VA, and most of VA will be less expensive than Philadelphia.

I did not find it to be a radical state politically--so no big culture shock for you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 PM

18 posts, read 104,250 times
yea, BFE stands for just that. I actually go back and forth between 3 houses, though tehcnically I live in Glen Allen. Thought the BFE is for Chase City/South Hill/South Boston area. two traffic lights and a hardees. =/ but its a nice little town. right by Bug's Lake.

Honestly I would choose Williamsburg over Fredricksburg. Way too much traffic and people. Williamsburg is has, obviously, a lot of history to it and my mother loves going to the Williamsburg Pottery, as well as the giant Yankee Candle Factory. That place is a trip in itself. Not to mention you have Busch Gardens and Water Country USA (very popular amusement parks). It's also home to the college of William & Mary. And I don't blame you for not caring too much about Richmond or Hampton Roads. Hampton Roads from what I've experienced is very busy and just seems a tad overcrowded to me. And Richmond just isn't safe, although it has gotten dramatically better in the past few years and I do love a lot of the local events.

Like I said, I have family living in PA and I've always loved visiting them. Especially my aunt and uncle in Downingtown. And I want a real snow this year. We haven't really gotten a good snow in years here. I can imagine florida was killer with the humidity. It's not as bad in VA but a lot of my family up north can't handle it in the summer when they come down.

Okay, I figured as much when it came to the bears. Just wanted to make sure. I'm working on getting over that phobia and it's not as bad as it used to be. But it's still in the back of my mind.

My cousins lived in Philly for a while and cost of living seemed to not really pose too much of a problem to them, so i'm not that worried about it. I'd rather avoid Philly itself since I'm not really a city person. Harrisburg seemed kind of nice whenever my family and I drove through it to see family.

But thanks for your response. =3

Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 PM

20 posts, read 56,391 times
Hello! Here it has been a week since I read your enjoyable posting; I am preparing a longer response but, at the moment, I access an Internet Cafe nearby where I live. Soon I will have my own computer, until then, I have to manage my time or I can rack up quite a bill. I did try your suggestion for sending a private message, but didn't see any link for how to follow through. We'll talk again soon. Have a great week!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 12,403 times
Hello everyone:

I am currently live in York city for above 10 years. This area is very nice and quite. What I like the most is the people are respect full, and most of them greating you. I had have some problem with a neibor which i consider races, but I ignored them. I can only say good thing above my live in York. I migrate from Ecuador when I was 18 to NY city where I started college. During my junior year, my employer relocated me to this area and since them it is been very good to me and my family.
It is true, York has crime but it is everywhere in the country. York is very quite town like most of town in Pennsylvania. If you need more informantion let me know I will be glad to help you.

Sincerely

John

Old 10-07-2009, 10:42 PM

20 posts, read 56,391 times
Hello to...its a journey! In the past week I have been busy prioritizing my life.

You mentioned you were almost in Boston recently, but had to return to Florida earlier than planned, do you travel often with your job? I was wondering what your specialty might be as an esthetician...skin care, nails, etc...you must be really proud of your kid's accomplishments. It's always easier to pursue your own interests when you know they are doing well.
About your decision against living in Atlanta, I don't personally know about the hostility towards outsiders, in the mountains, but I was thinking about the weather patterns in recent years; how Georgians had come out of a long drought, and suddenly, they were beseiged with a lot of flooding. Someday I would like to visit Atlanta, though, and Savannah too.
Tennessee, from the pictures I have seen, is so beautiful, near the mountains, but I have not travelled there to know extensively how they "process" their history; for the enjoyment of future generations.
From your love of the colonial, I can easily see why you would love Williamsburg, Va. You are speaking of places I have yet to visit, so, what don't you like about the Hampton Rds. area? My second cousins, on my father's side of the family, are from Culpeper, Va. But I have never met them; it would be interesting to know more. And I would have to see the Shenendoah Valley in those travels through Va. My grandmother's were Yankees, and my grandfather's were from the South. Since I grew up in New England, I would like to travel around the Southern states where I have never before visited - not in this life, ( smile ). In my childhood I used to climb in the White Mountains of N.H. I loved it! My best summertime memories were spent at a cottage that is still in the family. But, as well, Civil war history I find very interesting. And I would like to visit the Cumberland Gap between Kentucky and Tennessee, Daniel Boone's stomping grounds, where the Conestoga wagons made their trek heading west. And of course, with an RV, it would be great to experience the history of the plains - of the "wild,wild,west".

Owning an RV, as long as it doesn't quit and one can afford the gasoline to stay mobile, it does give you a feeling that , in a changing world, you won't find yourself "homeless". I enjoy thinking of all the ways I can simplify my life, and the bonus is being able to see the country. Fort Wayne used to have large RV shows at the Memorial Coliseum. I never went to one, but it would have been fun. My son likes to look through the magazines displayed at the grocery stores; he would like an RV too - someday - wants to travel, too. South Bend, In ( perhaps you know ) is the RV capital of the U.S.

I went to college in northwest Ohio in the early 70's ( Defiance College ); Defiance is a small town, too, and a county seat; but everyone who wanted a little excitement would drive to Fort Wayne ( about 50 minutes west ). During that time in my life I was kind of "drifting"; I had many fine interests, even then, but didn't know what I wanted to do; little did I know at the time how I would become anchored in Fort Wayne for so many years; it is so refreshing to be out of the midwest with solid plans underway! As for small-town roots, I admire the homey traditions of towns that are less populated; they can be great places to grow up...until realizing there is a much bigger world calling you forth.
What I love about the Amish people, in the area of Lancaster, Pa., is their contentment with the simple life. Personally I would not want to live with too much "austerity", but those people are so amazing to me...the stories one hears about how, when someone's barn burns down, the entire community comes together; the men build it up in almost a day! And the women all congregate to cook and bake and feed them all. Their teamwork and cooperation is so exceptional; society at large can learn so much from them, from their demonstration of solid values and enduring traditions. As much as I am drawn to evolution and progress, such a quality of respect for all of life will never be outmoded; and yes, looking at all sides of an issue ( depending on the context and what the issue is )...is also important.

Write soon when you can!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:43 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times
Hi Joy--Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I just got your PM tonight and responded to it--so I hope you do get it. If you do not, let me know and we will somehow figure this out.

No, I don't travel a lot with my job--but I do seek out industry trade shows that I want to attend. I always attend the ones here in Florida and then depending on how finances are or what I am hoping to accomplish I may go to 1 esthetics show outside of Florida each year. Because I am also a retailer, I can also attend many retail trade shows. Natural/Alternative Health & Green Living are some of my other passions--along with coffee & tea. I had signed up (and paid for) several classes that I wanted to take at the World Tea Expo in Boston--which is where I was heading. Something came up and I needed to decide whether to head back to Florida or continue on up to Boston. I came back to Florida---now I know why I made that decision. In my email to you I told you of my daughter's car accident. Had I gone to Boston, I would have been there and not here when that happened. Everything happens for a reason and everything happens just as it should--my life mantra--I suppose you could say.

Anyway, I would go back to PA in a hearbeat if winters were just a bit shorter. If I find that things in the southern states--mountain areas--lean way too conservative for me, then I could easily find myself back up there--cause I really love a lot about the eastern/southeastern PA area.

As for the Amish, they are truely an amazing people. There is much to admire about the way they choose to live. Admittedly, not a lot of us today could give up electricity, plumbing, and all of the conveniences we have grown accustomed to for the simple, but hardworking lives they live. They are excellent craftsmen and the women are amazing cooks, seamstresses, gardeners, etc. I never grew tired of making the 1 hour trip from my home to Lancaster County to visit the shops, sights, etc.

As for Hampton Roads, I don't particularly like any of the cities--VA Beach, Norfolk, etc. They seem to be flat, suburban sprawl to me. There is no big downtown urban core filled with high-rises, etc. And, the land is pretty flat. I did make it a point to go to the beach at Virginia Beach on my trip up there in July...and I admit, I was pleasantly surprised. I found the sand to be soft and nice. The beach was also pretty clean. I actually compared the sand to softer sand along Florida gulf coastal regions--rather than some of the courser sand along some of the ocean side areas up by me. Although, down Miami way the ocean sand is much softer than up this far.

I like the feel of a "real" city. Maybe it is the "grittiness" of what I grew up with near Chicago that I miss--I don't know. I find that same feeling in a lot of the big eastern cities, but most southern cities feel totally different to me. Atlanta is one tho, that could remind me of a northern city.

Otherwise, Hampton Roads area is toooooo flat for me. There are some small hills around Williamsburg & Yorktown tho. Also, once you get over to Richmond and head north, south, or west, you run into more hills. I also was in Culpeper, VA for the first time this past July. I found it to be a charming small town. Cute downtown area. Growing a bit and maybe needing to do some good urban planning before sprawl begins to take a hold there. If I am not mistaken, I believe there was a sign that said Culpeper was One of the Best Small Towns In America.

Talk soon!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 41,031 times
The Gingerbread Man was a restaurant in Gettysburg. Been sold and is another restaurant now.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 21,297 times
This is an interesting thread. I currently live in Monticello, Fl which is in the panhandle not too far from Tallahassee and the FL/GA border. Hopefully I will be landing a position on one of our business accounts located in Harford, CN. One of the good things, if I land one of the positions, is I can live just about anywhere and occassionally make the trip to Hartford. For several reasons, south-central PA seems to have caught my eye. I prefer living in rural areas that are not too far from larger cities. Plus, it looks like it might the type of area where I could find a couple of acres and keep my horses with me. I have only been in Florida for a few years and can't wait to get out of the south. The weather, history and geography of the York, Harrisburg, Gettysburg areas look to be perfect. Any information, the good and the bad, on these areas would be appreciated.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:59 PM

22 posts, read 67,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy10 View Post
I have read various threads from people moving to certain areas; and many, differing views and opinions from those acquainted with a given place; however, my own situation is this: I am currently residing in south Florida with limited finances to purchase a home in Pa. In the coming months I am looking to rent a 2 bedroom Apt. or townhome in a well-established and/or upscale neighborhood...in Pa. But I do not wish to spend more than $1,200 max, in rent and utilities, each month, while becoming familiar with the area - ( a year later I will reassess my progress. ) But I am a youthful person in my early 50's - a tremendous animal person; currently I have a wonderful cat, with special needs, and will soon be adding a dog to our family; so they are a TOP priority. I desire a pet-friendly residence with a yard, in a known-to-be safe and relatively spacious area, close to culture and shopping needs, etc. Over the winter ( getting used to the cold! ) I may be studying at home for a vet tech degree, and probably looking for a casual part-time job. I love country life, organic natural foods, the arts, and much admire the Amish culture. Overall, I am looking at York county or Adams County, possibly Lancaster County. However, recently, I was reading that the city of Lancaster is the most watched city in the U.S. with its use of surveillance cameras in every neighborhood! I would like to live in an area that employs neighborhood "crime watch" where everyone looks out for their neighbors, as well as their own, but I am turned off by the seeming invasion of privacy in Lancaster. I was thinking to live there. So anyone who could help with honest, sincere advice as to a beneficial place to settle ( perhaps suburbs ), I love the country but do not wish to feel isolated.
Hi Joy10! The cameras are only in downtown Lancaster, and not in the suburbs, so unless you wish to live in the city you won't need to worry about invasion of privacy.

Bentley Ridge is a very nice village-like community in a great rural location, but close to all the big outlets for shopping. They offer one, two, and three bedroom units as well as townhouses with gas fireplaces in your price range. They are very pet-friendly and have large grassy areas to play with your pets, and sidewalks for walking your soon-to-be new dog. There is also a beautiful club house that you can use for parties, free movies to check out and take home, and a beautiful pool (some of the 3 bedroom apartments overlook the pool). They also have garages for rent if you like to keep your car under cover. This might be a good fit for you. Here's a picture and a link to more pictures and the management company (High Associates).

Bentley Ridge Apartment Community

High Associates — Pennsylvania Apartment Communities (http://www.highassociates.com/hal/ContactUs/Directory/paapartmentcommunities.cfm - broken link)

Editing to add more information I found on amenities and pricing:

Features
  • Balcony/Patio/Deck
  • Basketball Courts
  • Blinds
  • Cable TV Available
  • Ceiling Fans
  • Central A/C
  • Dishwasher
  • Eat In Kitchen
  • Energy Efficient
  • Fireplace Gas
  • Garage/Covered Parking
  • Garbage Disposal
  • Range Oven
  • Refrigerator/Frost Free
  • Water Included
  • Private Entry
  • Covered Parking
  • Garages
  • Washer/Dryer In Apartment
  • High Speed Internet Access
Amenities

• Basketball Court
  • Business Center
  • Car Wash Area
  • Clubhouse
  • Courtyard
  • Fitness Center
  • Jogging/Walking Trail
  • Playground
  • Swimming Pool
  • Video Library
(This is one of the most upscale rental communities in the area)

Pricing:

http://www.lancasterapartmentguide.c...artment/6.html

Last edited by oceantine; 12-12-2009 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: To add more information

Old 12-12-2009, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,854 times
SierraGirl,

You are right about one of the big pluses about Central PA - you can live in the sticks but still have very easy access to decent cities like Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster (I've lived in all three) - and major cities like Baltimore (1 hour), Philly (2 hrs), DC (2.5hrs), NYC (3hrs), and Pittsburgh (4hrs) - all great places to visit for a weekend that have something for everyone. Cost of living is great here as well.

Funny enough, my job is considering shipping me to your neck of the woods - Tallahassee. We're on the fence about it, but the absence of PA winters is appealing - the sky here turns grey from Nov to Apr. What do you like about your area, and is there anything you will be glad to give up should you move away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania