Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Have any of you PECO customers read your bills lately? They're increasing their rates so they can educate us about why our electric rates will be going up.

Yeah, deregulation is going to be a wonderful thing. Look what it did for the airline industry.
it's done great things for the airline industry, where passenger miles are up and fares down. seems like you chose a poor example. yeah, there are a few dunderheads out there that miss lost bags and high fares but on the whole, airline deregulation has been a resounding success even if it took a few decades to correct some of the mistakes of the past, as has freight rail deregulation. deregulation isn't all bad like some extremists have indicated, but it is a mixed bag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littel Bevis
The problem I have with it all is not the price of the electricity, it is that they are not putting the profits back into the plants and are reaping the profits for personal gain and letting the plant run itself into the ground.
this is troubling because it's exactly why deregulation was considered. deferred maintenance was abound but it sound like nothing hasa changed, just the reason for the deferred maintenance. the transmission side definitely has problems but it's probably as well run as ever. I have a friend who writes code for the transmission and commercial side and it's fairly cutting edge even if the underlying infrastructure is not. I know there have been plans to rework the power grid but I'm sure politics has killed that as well, so we get stimulus jobs but never high speed rail and an upgraded power grid. if the US had any senses, they would have invested all that cheap money from china into infrastructure upgrades instead of pissing it away on wars, real estate subsidies, and paint jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
MD deregulated 3 or 4 years ago. Electricity prices immediately doubled. The companies under deregulation go on the open market and bid for the power so in many cases it is more profitable to sell electricity outside their home territory.
In the several year run up to deregulation MD rate payers also had to reimburse the electricity producers for "stranded costs"-the estimated capital loss to the companies once deregulation took effect.
So what we have now are electric prices that have stabilized at twice what the previous prices were, power plant construction ongoing with the customer base paying for that with no guarantee that the electric will be supplied to us.
And don't be fooled by the promise of competition, imported electric costs just as much after you factor in the carriage charges.
To ameliorate all this we just got a one time $100 credit.
Electricity Deregulation: High Cost, Unmet Promises - washingtonpost.com

Fixing Maryland’s Electricity Problem | Thomas A. Firey | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

Energy markets: Showdown looms over Md. electricity re-regulation -- 04/10/2009 -- www.eenews.net

Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State, February 2010 and 2009
(Cents per kilowatthour)

Electric Power Monthly - Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State

Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
To prepare for the rate increase, we will be installing a tankless water heater. The clothes dryer, water heater, and furnace blower are what constitutes most of any electric usage in a residential home. Turning out the lights to conserve energy is a bit of a joke, if you ask me. I can put on a sweater to keep the chill off, hang my clothes to dry, but I need to see what I'm doing!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,412 times
The sad truth is that the power we use in Pennsylvania, probably isn't even being generated in Pennsylvania. United Electric Co/Op inc gets their power from New Jersey.

At the same time, the power generated in Indiana, Cambria co. is being shipped to - you guessed it - New York and New Jersey.

Power plants are not built to service the local area, they are built closest to the natural resources so you can exploit the natural resources.

Anyone that thinks that they are saving the environment by buying GREEN power is only kidding themselves.

Power plants as a whole are the largest producers of toxic waste and polluters in the entire country.

Environmental groups target RRI in western Pa. - BusinessWeek

It gets pretty bad when the DEP takes a cut in revenue and the power plant willingly reports itself as a polluter to pay a lesser amount of fines as compared to if they did not report it and then got caught.
It would be like you having to pay the garbageman $100 a month to haul away your garbage, as opposed to paying a one time $50 fine for leaving it beside the road.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:21 AM

the sky is falling

Old 07-10-2010, 07:57 AM

22 posts, read 56,589 times
The Power company I work with is saving 20-50% off rates in the markets we're in so far. Hard to imagine not choosing to save, especially when nothing changes except for the savings. Cheers to deregulation & saving consumers money!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State, February 2010 and 2009
(Cents per kilowatthour)

Electric Power Monthly - Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State

Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 AM

22 posts, read 56,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I worked on our home in Ct for 5 weeks,still wondering if we will move,cost of electric 11.8 per KW,have to pay $18 per month whether I use electric or not.Bill for 480 KW give or take a little $45 to provider,CL&P took $45 or so for their poles etc and are looking for more money.Another ripoff deregulation.
Deregulation had nothing to do with what you were billed for. Here is the breakdown of your electric bill.

In the past, all of the following components of electricity supply were regulated and provided by one company, the local utility.
  • Electricity Generation (kwh rate-this is what is deregulated only)
  • Electricity Delivery
  • Retail Sales
  • Meter Reading
  • Billing and support-Where your pole charge comes into play
In a regulated electricity market, the consumer has no choice. They can only purchase from one source, the local utility. In a regulated market there is no incentive to offer cost saving solutions or innovative products and services. That's now changing because people in many states now have the right to choose who they buy their electricity supply from.
Deregulation opens the generation portion of your bill to competition. This essentially turns the generated power into a market-based commodity, with the price dictated by supply and demand. Competitive markets lead to innovation and lower costs for customers.

In a deregulated market, the local utility is reduced into an electricity delivery company. This makes it possible for customers to choose an alternate source for the generation portion of their bill which is approximately two thirds of their total cost. All customers continue to rely on their local utility to deliver their electricity, provide service and reliability, read their meter and in most cases, bill the customer. This portion of the electricity service remains the same.

Retail competition, in the electricity markets, is superior to regulated service as it delivers customer-focused service, enables innovative product development and leads to the most efficient market price.
All consumers should be afforded the opportunity to participate in competitive retail energy markets and enjoy the benefits that only competitive retail markets can deliver.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
It is a freagin service...don't like it, don't buy it! I never knew electric was a constitutional right

I paid a $1.34 for "a" tomato. WTF? Outrageous!!! And I have to eat so I had to have it! Personally, I say we cap tomatoes at a quarter a piece because that's all I think they're worth. I mean all a farmer has to do is sit all day and drive a straight line! Water, $10 a month...that sounds about right And there is no way cell phone service should rise about $30 a month for ANY plan...lets cap that to

If you don't want to deal with the power company circus, go out and buy a generator, put some fuel in it, hook it up to your house, and every time you need a little electric, go out and pull the rope to start it

Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 AM

the sky isn't falling this year anyway
Quote:
The Philadelphia utility now estimates that electric rates for residential customers will go up by less than 10 percent at the end of the year, when state-mandated rate caps expire. Earlier this year, some consumer advocates claimed customers would face doomsday increases of up to 30 percent.
Read more: Peco electric rates to rise by less than 10 percent under settlement | Philadelphia Inquirer | 09/01/2010
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania