Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 26,744 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband is taking a job in Chambersburg and I am wondering what are the best neighborhoods to look into? We are looking at houses in the $200,000 to 300,000 range. Looking for GOOD SCHOOLS, good neighborhood with large yard! Is Chambersburg a good little town or is there somewhere else that fits our criteria better?

Any info. would be great! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,559 times
Hi,
Welcome to Chambersburg!! There is a wide variety of neighborhoods from which to choose at your price range. I would say that $230,000 and up would be a nice, common, comfortable price for a nice family neighborhood. Elementary schools will vary, but beginning in 6th grade, all the kids in Chbg. will attend the same schools. When we moved here, our daughter started in a private school, but she is now in the public middle school and we are generally pleased. She is coming from a challenging private school, so the coursework seems fairly easy to her at this point. I would ignore most houses in the downtown area. You sound like you would prefer a nice, family neighborhood and there are plenty of those. Some search terms would be: Laurich Meadows, Laurich Gem, Hunter Ridge,Warm Springs. The area near Norland Ave. would put you close to Target, Kohls, Panera, Red Robin, a Japanes restaurant, and Moes. We are in Laurich Meadows and there are some good buys right now. Prices are ranging from low 200'000s to 299,000.

If you want a smaller town, you can always consider Shippensburg, Mercersburg, Waynesboro, or Greencastle. I really like Greencastle, but so many activities will require that you go to either Hagerstown or Chambersburg. I've heard that Greencastle has better schools than Chbg, but I don't know any details. Our friends lived in Greencaslte, but drove to Hagerstown for most things.

It is a great area and a great place to raise a family. We moved here about 4 years ago, then moved away for two, and then recently moved back to Chbg. primarily at our daughter's urging. I think kids really enjoy it here. It definately isn't a big city, but has most everything you would need. We are 3.5 hours from NYC and about 1.5 hours from DC.

Last edited by military spouse; 10-19-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,559 times
Oh, I forgot to add that there really is not a "good" part of town like you might find in a larger city. Other than the downtown core and surrounding blocks, you will find that the vast majority of people really take nice care of their houses and yards. You really need to determine if you want a neighborhood or a country house, how many bedrooms, basement, etc. Then a realtor can find the houses for you. I can't think of a neighborhood that is dramatically nicer than another in your price range. Also, do you need to be close to I-81, Hwy. 11, etc.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 26,744 times
Thanks so much! Info. was very helpful and I am feeling so better about moving now!

Old 03-10-2010, 06:42 PM

9 posts, read 32,800 times
Greencastle and Mercersburg are the nicest towns in Franklin County, but Greencastle is changing/growing fast with its proximity to Hagerstown. Cute downtown that is in good shape. Mercersburg is wonderful and is home to Mercersburg Academy. The best schools are Montessori in Chambersburg through middle school and Mercersburg Academy for high school. If tuition seems high, apply for financial aid. One of the best college prep schools in the nation with kids from 30 countries who all end up in little old Mercersburg. Popular neighborhood in Mercersburg is Lenwood Heights.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 AM

10 posts, read 29,908 times
The North end of Chambersburg is the best, the Scotland area is also nice. As for schools, I would send your children to public, it is terrible. But we have great private schools. Montessori is one of them, but over priced and behind (children who come out and go to public school are acutally behind in education than the public...so what does that say?)

Old 03-11-2010, 02:40 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
We moved to Chambersburg 2 years ago and love it. We live in Greene Twp, and you can easily find a home in your price range here. There are at least 2 in my neighborhood right now for sale. We have a nice 2 story on a half acre and our neighborhood is nice and quiet with a lot of kids. Neighborhoods to check out would be East View, Saddle Ridge, Scot-Greene Estates (some there are VERY pricey though), Beacon Light Estates.
I am happy with the schools so far. My son attends Scotland Elementary and is doing very well. His teacher is excellent and so is the principal. They are revamping the secondary schools--updating buildings, etc. They did a massive renovation of the high school, and the junior high and middle schools will be updated and converted into 2 middle schools.

Greencastle and Waynesboro are nice, but you would have to drive to Chambersburg or Hagerstown for any shopping besides grocery or small specialty shops. Their housing prices are also higher, another reason we went for Chbg. School taxes are higher in Chbg, too though.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help answer, or need a good realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania