Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 01:13 AM

7 posts, read 43,780 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in York and do not like the area. Although there is plenty of shopping and convenience to cities, it's the people around here I don't feel compatible with. This doesn't seem like the place to be for a single young professional.

My work is in Morgantown and I will need to move within an hour of there. I telecommute 90% of the time so up to an hour away is fine. Being self-employed with about $30k in income I will probably be looking to rent something to a max of $1000 a month. I don't want to live at one of those apartment complexes where you can hear your neighbors whispering because the walls are so thin.

I would love to hear suggestions for areas and the kind of place you think might be good for me. It would be nice to be in a singles friendly area with people in their 20's. Areas I'm currently thinking about are Morgantown itself, Reading and surrounding areas, Downingtown, Exton, Lancaster, York and Harrisburg.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 09:20 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,452 times
Harrisburg is the hot spot for young single professionals in the area. If you ever head up to 2nd street on the weekends the streets are filled with 20-somethings hanging out. Lancaster is getting it's own scene too, but it's much more centered around the arts, while Harrisburg is more on the networking.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 AM

55 posts, read 210,788 times
Harrisburg is a good recommendation. You can afford downingtown and thorndale easily and your commute wouldn't be too bad at all (30-40 min), but it may not be exactly what you're looking for. D-town has the Victory brewery which is a very popular hangout but I'm not really sure what else.

West Chester has a great youthful downtown and thriving local culture but it could add to your commute (45-60 min) and you will get a smaller place for $1000/mo. WC is probably ideal for your situation, it's just more expensive than you're probably used to.

Since you telecommute, both downingtown and west chester actually have decent broadband choices, unlike some other areas. Verizon fios is usually available and fast comcast broadband as well. I know fast internet matters to you...it matters to me!

Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 PM

209 posts, read 606,972 times
Harrisburg, but I wouldn't live downtown. Not very safe, unless you get a rental near the front street and riverfront. Lancaster is a little run down and gross and every time I drive through there, all I see is people smoking on their porches.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 AM

175 posts, read 590,068 times
If your work is in Morgantown then Exton would be perfect. Our young, single daughter lives there and loves it! I don't expect her to ever move back to Lanc. Co. It only takes her 35 to 40 from the Reading interchange on the turnpike to get to her Exton apartment. Getting on at Morgantown would be even closer. From what she says there is a lot of nightlife & culture events in her area plus you are really close to the Philadelphia area also. If you need more info about the area you might want to post on the Phila. city data forum.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
Exton would be an excellent location. Close enough to West Chester and Philly for activities and nightlife, but affordable and a little less congested for the day to day living. Lots of retail, restaurants and I imagine a good social scene as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania