Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:36 PM

563 posts, read 929,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Hi again! It's funny, I lived in El Paso for a year & 1/2, on the west side. My ex-husband is a Border Patrol agent, that is what took us there. I do remember one summer day, it got up to 114 degrees. But, being in a dry climate, it was not as bad as it sounds.

Well, Scott has a second interview Sunday morning in Williamsport, so hopefully this will work out.
We pay a lot for a/c here in Houston, so I hope it does balance out - the cost of heat vs a/c. We have to use our a/c 12 months of the year here in Houston.
He is going to look around the area while he is there, especially Montoursville and Muncy.
Do we need to live close to Williamsport? We are worried about driving a far distance in the snow. Which also leads to... does it snow a lot there? Do they keep the roads pretty well plowed?
I also lived in Michigan, so I do have some practice at least driving in the snow.
Thanks again everyone for your wonderful help!!!
Steph
It snows but not alot. The most I've seen is about 8-10 inches, most often, the snow is 3-4 inches. People that have lived many years here talk of several feet of snow but that's been many years past. For commonly used roads, they are kept well plowed. They're usually sprayed before heavy storms and plowed often. Lesser used side streets won't be cleared as fast, but careful driving lets them still be manageable. I suspect Michigan gets more snow than this area.
I would suggest living near Williamsport, and Montoursville is a great place to start a home search. Also, Loyalsock in the eastern part of Williamsport has nice neighborhoods and schools. Within the county, you'll find everything from innercity apartments to country farmhouses with acres of land. Muncy is okay, I wouldn't suggest Hughesville, though. When we moved here, my job was in Williamsport, but we ended up renting a townhouse in Lewisburg. The following year, we bought our house in the same area. My wife's family are Williamsport natives.

Incidentally, your ex may have chased some family members of my ex!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:27 PM

392 posts, read 1,067,541 times
If you've ever seen the HBO documentary "High on Crack Street: Lost Lives in Lowell"...you'll pretty much see what Williamsport is like. The only difference between the movie and real life is that this is a city in PA we're talking about, and not Massachusetts.

If you haven't seen it, look it up on YouTube. It's on there.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:01 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,797 times
Williamsport, PA: THE WORST TOWN FOR SINGLE GUYS IN AMERICA!!!
While once the lumber capital of the USA it's now the attitude capital of the USA. Aside from the cliquey attitudes of so many people the area is geographically beautiful, especially in the fall. I recommend living in Montoursville, and South Williamsport. Both very safe middle class towns. Williamsport doesn't have much to do though. The shopping is down in Muncy at The Lycoming Mall. The only thing to really do down town are the bars. Like I said earlier I can't stand the people so I don't go to them. If you like the outdoors there's plenty of area to hunt and fish. Good jobs, are very rare. The Sunday classified section is a joke. The problem with Williamsport is that it's old money town. As a result the old money has kept industry from moving in. I've heard many rumors that both Ford and Goodyear wanted to build plants here at one time but were kept out, (so old money didn't have to put up with competition, mainly on wages). This whole depressed economy may be subject to change if the natural gas drilling takes off. There are those that want that to stop too. Cost of living is cheap here too. If you want to live in central PA, but have a strong economy, good nightlife and female scene, and more to do, than I would recommend State College. The cost of living their is higher though. I would like to live in State College someday myself. Experiencing a Penn State football game is awesome. Not just the game itself, but the way the whole town booms is really something. I hope this helps

Old 02-28-2010, 03:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,089 times
about on average how much snow does Williamsport get in March

Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,529,943 times
Over the weekend, there were four more shootings in Williamsport.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Well until they stop the welfare and section 8 gravy train, it's going to continue like this. Too many people sittin' around with nothing to do but spend their welfare check and sell drugs.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiller33 View Post
about on average how much snow does Williamsport get in March
Not that much and sometimes none at all. Even in all these February snowstorms they haven't gotten much at all.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,721 times
Williamsport is really beginning to turn around. With the mayor and the new building code administrator in place, they're really getting things turned back to how it was. Even downtown at night is safe now. Of course, there are always shady areas in any city, so that's nothing to get so excited about anymore. The rehabs are nearly gone, so that is a good thing, too.

Oh, and don't forget about Loyalsock Township...it's a great community nestled between Williamsport and Montoursville, has great schools and a nice atmosphere where everyone seems to know everyone.

Good luck with your move. Mod cut - NO REALTOR solicitations are allowed on this forum.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-22-2010 at 06:17 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 03:19 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1620 View Post
Williamsport is really beginning to turn around. With the mayor and the new building code administrator in place, they're really getting things turned back to how it was. Even downtown at night is safe now. Of course, there are always shady areas in any city, so that's nothing to get so excited about anymore. The rehabs are nearly gone, so that is a good thing, too.
It is getting better no question and the downtown area is much improved.

But there are some dodgy areas and you do need to be aware of your surroundings at night if you are driving through those areas. Or just avoid them altogether.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
I have relatives who live in the Montoursville area right outside of Williamsport, and I've been cosidering moving to this area amongst other places in PA (I'm originally from Ephrata). I visited Montoursville a lot as a kid, but never really went into Williamsport except to see a movie or shop at the mall.

Right now, I live in Minot, ND which is a city of about 36,000 some people, not including the nearby Air Force Base 10 miles north of town. Minot is the 4th largest city in ND, though it's pretty small by most standards. I was looking online for a price comparison between Minot and Williamsport, and according to my research, it would actually be all around cheaper for me to live in this area of PA than ND.

Anyway, what I was wondering is if anyone could give me some info on the Williamsport area. I know it is famous for the Little League World Series, but otherwise, what is there to do? Any good shopping, restaurants, night life, etc.? Any help would be awesome.
Williamsport is such a small town that there isn't a whole lot of things to do but here are some things that may be of interest to you. There is a club called "Cell Block" which was formerly a prison decades ago but has been revamped into a nice club where you can go drink and meet new people. There is a great restaraunt in the downtown area called 33 East that is classy but a little expensive. There is a place called the Coffee and Tea Room where people go to meet people for appointments, sit and have coffee or tea, read books, or sit on the couch area where a small band or performer might play. There is also a place downtown called The Bullfrog Brewery where you can do the same. The first Friday of every month the downtown area and bars open their doors to people who want to come and have a free sample of a drink, there are bands that play their music outside and there are some vendors and bookstores that sell some of their merchandise outside. On these first Fridays there is a large building on Park Avenue where people go to see the art work of local artists in town as they tour the building of art and enjoy free samples of wine, and other horderves. There is a beautiful Community Arts Theatre where people anywhere from Bill Cosby, to Clay Aiken to The Temptations have come to perform. There is also a nice Community Arts Center where people do plays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania