Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 48,338 times

Advertisements

Another town I would like to know about is Hughesville,Pa ...any information would sure help...thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 07:22 PM

10 posts, read 55,170 times
Hughesville is a small town not far from Williamsport about a 15/20 min drive.. There is a big mall (Lycoming Mall) about a 10 min drive, the mall is expanding just put in an Old Navy, and Border,s is opening next month.. It is also about a 45 minute drive into Wilkes Barre.. They just started bus service to Hughesville that goes all the way up to Jersey Shore and the price is really reasonable just $2.50 for a day pass.. Also there is a beautiful park there Trout Pond it has a wood floor skateing rink (not many of those anymore) and in the summer on weekends they have free concerts there with local muscians.. As for jobs they are scarce in the area.. Hope this helped..

Old 01-02-2007, 04:40 PM

5 posts, read 17,386 times
Default Hughesville, PA

Hughesville is a quaint little borough. The people here are very clickish, very clanish. If you are from out of state and move here, DO NOT TELL ANYONE! Tell them you are from a town close by and wing it. Once had a neighbor tell us "You weren't born here and you don't belong here!"

Schools leave a lot to be desired. If your child is disabled you will have a fight on your hands getting them help.

If you are just looking for a beautiful view, live outside of town and enjoy!!!

Even in the nearest city, Williamsport, jobs are scarce and the pay is exremely low without a specific education. Even with an education, good luck!

If you eat wild game and are married to your cousin, you are in luck!

Most of all if you move here, GOOD LUCK!!! You're going to need it!!!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:20 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeelox View Post
Hughesville is a quaint little borough. The people here are very clickish, very clanish.
They pretty well sums up all of central Pa.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,803 times
Smile Shes Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeelox View Post
Hughesville is a quaint little borough. The people here are very clickish, very clanish. If you are from out of state and move here, DO NOT TELL ANYONE! Tell them you are from a town close by and wing it. Once had a neighbor tell us "You weren't born here and you don't belong here!"

Schools leave a lot to be desired. If your child is disabled you will have a fight on your hands getting them help.

If you are just looking for a beautiful view, live outside of town and enjoy!!!

Even in the nearest city, Williamsport, jobs are scarce and the pay is exremely low without a specific education. Even with an education, good luck!

If you eat wild game and are married to your cousin, you are in luck!

Most of all if you move here, GOOD LUCK!!! You're going to need it!!!

DONT EVER TALK LIKE THIS AGAIN! K,THANKS

Old 08-12-2008, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteforme View Post
Another town I would like to know about is Hughesville,Pa ...any information would sure help...thank you
I grew up in Hughesville and moved to the glorious south (ha) at 24. My family is still there so I visit ofter. Hughesville is a wonderful little town that is small, but not backward, housing is still affordable and it is a lovely place to raise children.

There are numerous places to shop and eat if you are willing to travel 10 to 13 miles. The weather is wonderful and the scenery breathtaking. Ricketts Glenn State Park is just up the road, as well as Eaglesmere and Lake Jean, I could go on and on. I miss it dearly!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenyGrl View Post
I grew up in Hughesville and moved to the glorious south (ha) at 24. My family is still there so I visit ofter. Hughesville is a wonderful little town that is small, but not backward, housing is still affordable and it is a lovely place to raise children.

There are numerous places to shop and eat if you are willing to travel 10 to 13 miles. The weather is wonderful and the scenery breathtaking. Ricketts Glenn State Park is just up the road, as well as Eaglesmere and Lake Jean, I could go on and on. I miss it dearly!
Growing up in a New Jersey sea shore town, I can understand when you've grown up somewhere, having fond remembrances of that place. Contrary to life there now, my upbringing was filled with the wonder of wildlife, daily forays into the woods, outings to the local beaches and boating excursions, but even if I could find a patch of wooded land, I wouldn't move back if you paid me! lol It's far too over crowded and criminally organized.
I currently live in Hughesville and though it may not have been back then, it's terribly backwards now. Anyone can witness to that fact, and they often do. I couldn't even get the elelctric turned on in my name, I needed my husband to call in and approve. It's backwards alright!
The thinking that people who move here should "go back where they came from" is just on example of the local mentality. I'll give another. One local, very well educated woman, had married her cousin and they had a disabled child (now deceased). They only found out they were related due to their childs specific birth defect and the fact that the child could only have inherited this if both parents were carriers of the gene. This is simply another example of the ways of life here. Very closed minded, "stick with your own" type of mentality.
If you are moving here and your spouse was raised here, you should do well. If you have no link to the area, I would suggest moving elsewhere do to the stigma of outsiders being "BAAAD." Just the way it is.
I will say, most people from the north who move south get real tired of the "yankee go home" thing, but that is exactly the type of mentality that we've experienced and we've been in Hughesville for 20 years. Doesn't matter, we WERE from NJ.
For our family, Hughesville PA was the biggest mistake of our lives, sad but true. The Lord has kept us strong throughout our ordeal.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Guess I only know one person in Hughesville. She seems to like it, as an outsider, moved there from Muncy. (Actually she grew up in Westmoreland County but her time in Muncy may have given the seal of approval just as you say. )

I think it's inevitable that some locals are cold to outsiders especially from certain areas. I also think that most will get past that initial coldness once the outsider demonstrates that they are accepting of their new locality, and not bringing what's not good from the outside, to the locality. Maybe not everyone will eventually come around, but one can be local and be a jerk too.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Obviously I didn't make make myself clear. We had a very nice day in the middle of December a couple of years back, it had to be 65* and just gorgeous. We opened the windows, of course, and decided to air out the house. We suddenly smelled (smelt to the locals lol) a nauseating stench. It was our neighbor. He had changed his car oil, put the old oil into a metal bucket, then proceeded to light the bucket afire to dispose of the oil.
The burning of tires in a burn pile is also not something frowned upon. They burn batteries also. We actually witnessed another neighbor throw a car battery into a burn pile. It was as if someone set off a stick of dynomite, I sh-t you not! This is the type of "backwards" I was speaking of.
Anyway, there are good people here, just be careful to make sure that they are the "good people" before you trust them with your children or even your lawn rake. The good people are hard to find.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,781,397 times
Hey, at least it wasn't a plastic bucket! Still, that's pretty dumb, especially when it could have gone into someone's furnace...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania